Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 2013 Atlantic City DJ Expo - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Here what your saying Huey, my guess is someone has thought of that - maybe can send Sandbox to it's own output?? I don't know, just guessing.

Of course you could be right too!!

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:47 am
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
If you learn your tracks, a very basic DJ skill, along with BPM counting and beatmatching, sandbox is not needed....just sayin'

Now back on topic, any new and exciting gear being previewed. Tell, tell me, tell me.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:47 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Sandbox sounds good and all but this caters to djs using a midi controller, I don't see this working with a traditional analog mixer. Unless I'm missing something?

I can only assume there must be a way to route it through a spare channel on your external soundcard...

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:54 am
AndrewPRO InfinityMember since 2003
xcakid wrote :
If you learn your tracks, a very basic DJ skill, along with BPM counting and beatmatching, sandbox is not needed....just sayin'

Now back on topic, any new and exciting gear being previewed. Tell, tell me, tell me.

If you want to mix the same two tracks the same way every time.. just sayin' ;)

But the sandbox lets you test out a new way to mix two tracks live, ie fx, filters, bringing in a different part of the track, etc, etc, live in your headphones without effecting the main audio out. You've never thought mid track, "wait, maybe I should mix into this next?" Well, now you can test it out. Once you're satisfied with the new mix, turn sandbox off and you are right back to where you were, confident knowing this new approach will not kill the dance floor :)

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 10:10 am
Still the same crappy waveforms :(

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 10:21 am

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 10:24 am
reigar_dj wrote :

So you don't use headphones then?? Who cares what the waves look like unless I'm at the beach...........

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 11:13 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
A practical example of Sandbox feature :

With Sandbox mode enabled, your live master out will keep playing song out live to master, as if nothing changed.
But the decks in VirtualDJ will be free for the DJ to play around with, without anyone hearing it out live (to master output).
Only you as a DJ will hear this, in your headphones.

So if you have a song playing on say deck A, and you still have minutes left before the end of the song, you might want to activate the sandbox mode, and then you can safely move deck A to a point near the end of the song where you think you might want to do your mix transition, and try to mix with the track on deck B. And even set cue markers, test some effects or scratch cuts, etc to see if they sound cool on this track. You can crossfade, equalize, apply effects, scratch, set cue points for mix out or loop, everything.. and it only be heard in the DJ's headphones.

When you're satisfied you can deactivate sandbox mode, and deck A will return to the "real" song that has been playing on the master output all along as if you had never activated Sandbox mode at all (and deck B will automatically pause, for safety).
And you're ready to do the things you just tested out and found to work good, in Sandbox mode ...

Basically, Sandbox mode is a bit like if you would open a new VirtualDJ on a second computer, load the same songs and song positions, connect your headphones to this other computer, and try your mix and others stuff, while the first computer is still playing the song for the audience. Then return to the first pc playing out live, when satisfied with the testing on the second pc - and be ready to rock ;)

Question,
Can I have both decks in the "Sandbox"? If I can, can I then record that to the sampler?

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 11:17 am
The sandbox sounds pretty useful for setting cues on the track while it's still playing.

here is a preview, I wish it didn't cut off at the end... I want to know about the modular skins :-(

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 11:33 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
reigar_dj wrote :

People complaining even before it's release and complaining about something trivial.

C'mon...

Some people just need to grow up.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 1:07 pm
I think it's a valid point of view... they do look crap, if the in house testing is almost over there is no better time to air a perceived issue that could still be addressed before the final release. It would literally mean changing a few color settings in the code and maybe the physics of how the colors are displayed depending on the frequency of the track, maybe a days work for someone who knows what they're doing.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 1:26 pm

VDJ can show those kinda waves, and most skins have a waveform toggle button on top, even in VDJ 7.

So the beat enhanced signature waveform VDJ has will be default, but if you want to use other waveforms thats possible easily.

Also there is optional show waveform for song either as monochrome or full spectrum.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 1:47 pm
some press :

It sounds like one of those ideas that should have been invented before.
It’s certainly ideal for those times when you get tracks thrown at you mid-set and have no idea what the music sounds like. Or perhaps those times when a mix is necessary but you’ve no idea if the tracks will work or not. It’s very much an emergency feature, but a very welcome one at that.
- DJWORX

http://djworx.com/sandboxing-comes-to-virtual-dj-8/

lets DJs privately “test” the next mix in their headphones while the audience continues to hear what’s currently playing – a first for a mainstream DJ software package. I’ve often wondered if someone would include that “sandbox” feature, as it’s something I’ve wished for myself when DJing.
- Digital DJ TIPS

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/

;)

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:06 pm
So no comment on wether or not you can load more then one track into the sandbox and if so can I record that to a sample??

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:19 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
So no comment on wether or not you can load more then one track into the sandbox and if so can I record that to a sample??

its a new feature still being tweaked, but yes, think recording to sample most likely will be supported

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:23 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
synthet1c wrote :
I think it's a valid point of view... they do look crap, if the in house testing is almost over there is no better time to air a perceived issue that could still be addressed before the final release.

Fair enough.

It just irritates me to see negativity without KNOWING the complete facts of a given subject (ie waveforms).

The program seems to have advanced by leaps and bounds but IN CAPS AND BOLD LETTERS we get a complaint about the waveforms?!?

Let's see how v8 is going to perform and sound before we complain about trivial things that are likely customizable anyway.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:43 pm
Do also bear in mind that things can be tweaked when the wider beta test goes out. Same thing happened in the V7 beta once the team had feedback from a wider audience.

Keith

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:45 pm
fair point city... I'm confident it will sound as good as DJ Decks though and there will be the option to tune the frequencies so I think sound should be sorted.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:52 pm
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I just want DVS support equal to Serato Scratch Live so that I don't have to use 2 different software anymore. I could care less about all other bells and whistles. I am sure that is not too much to ask........

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 2:57 pm

The whole software is re-coded from scratch, including timecode.
Hopefully to your likings ;)

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 3:03 pm
74%