Forum: General Discussion

Topic: 2013 Atlantic City DJ Expo - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

no videos yet?

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 12:52 pm
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 6:53 pm
LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yes, nice, but the basic question: is VDJ 8 finally out there, or still not?

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 7:16 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
This is not a thread about v8. Please keep on topic.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 8:22 pm
My question is . is v8 on display at the expo?

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 8:25 pm
LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
TearEmUp wrote :
This is not a thread about v8. Please keep on topic.

It means not?
(It is on topic. It is about DJ Expo, and some older main versions of the VirtualDJ (VDJ 4, VDJ 5) were released there too.)

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 8:52 pm
AndrewPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Yes Sir. Version 8 with the latest skin debuting the new "SandBox" feature is on the show floor for all to get their hands on. It's running on 5 of the 8 floor demo setups. More info coming soon.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 13 @ 8:54 pm
Andrew wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Yes Sir. Version 8 with the latest skin debuting the new "SandBox" feature is on the show floor for all to get their hands on. It's running on 5 of the 8 floor demo setups. More info coming soon.

<image removed>

ahhhhh...mouth Watering....

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 12:46 am
whats in the box....w-h-a-t-s in the b-o-x...what is the sandbox feature

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 12:48 am
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
Sand ??

**hihi**

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 4:10 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

One word ? ... It's M a g i c

Once you activate it, nothing will interrupt or affect the master output.
The track will keep playing as normal for your audience but physically you can do whatever you like using your controller (or the mouse/keyboard).
It is like you are moved on a cloned computer with the exact same setup, same music loaded.., same everything..

So, if you have some ideas about your mix you can :
- Try your mix at a later point (move the track position in sync), use different eq's, mixer and knob positions, add effects, loops etc.
- You can even unload the decks, try new tracks, again use the knobs on the controller try what you have in mind, listen how it sounds.

Remember, only you will hear these changes.
How is this possible..
The headphone output changes to split mode where you can prelisten the master output on the right and whatever you do on the left earphone.

When you're done, you can just switch back to normal mode like nothing ever happen.
All settings / sliders / knobs will be at the positions you left them.

Then you can do for "real" what you have tried before.

If you are visiting the VirtualDJ booth at the Expo, don't forget to give it a try!

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 4:33 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
sounds pretty cool...but no way for me to get to atlanta....:-(

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 5:03 am
Sounds amazing!!!

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 5:04 am
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
apopsis wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

One word ? ... It's M a g i c

Once you activate it, nothing will interrupt or affect the master output.
The track will keep playing as normal for your audience but physically you can do whatever you like using your controller (or the mouse/keyboard).
It is like you are moved on a cloned computer with the exact same setup, same music loaded.., same everything..

So, if you have some ideas about your mix you can :
- Try your mix at a later point (move the track position in sync), use different eq's, mixer and knob positions, add effects, loops etc.
- You can even unload the decks, try new tracks, again use the knobs on the controller try what you have in mind, listen how it sounds.

Remember, only you will hear these changes.
How is this possible..
The headphone output changes to split mode where you can prelisten the master output on the right and whatever you do on the left earphone.

When you're done, you can just switch back to normal mode like nothing ever happen.
All settings / sliders / knobs will be at the positions you left them.

Then you can do for "real" what you have tried before.

If you are visiting the VirtualDJ booth at the Expo, don't forget to give it a try!

wait...what? sounds awesome, how come this feature hasĀ“nt been teased before? mind explaining it with a practical example?

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 7:54 am
A practical example of Sandbox feature :

With Sandbox mode enabled, your live master out will keep playing song out live to master, as if nothing changed.
But the decks in VirtualDJ will be free for the DJ to play around with, without anyone hearing it out live (to master output).
Only you as a DJ will hear this, in your headphones.

So if you have a song playing on say deck A, and you still have minutes left before the end of the song, you might want to activate the sandbox mode, and then you can safely move deck A to a point near the end of the song where you think you might want to do your mix transition, and try to mix with the track on deck B. And even set cue markers, test some effects or scratch cuts, etc to see if they sound cool on this track. You can crossfade, equalize, apply effects, scratch, set cue points for mix out or loop, everything.. and it only be heard in the DJ's headphones.

When you're satisfied you can deactivate sandbox mode, and deck A will return to the "real" song that has been playing on the master output all along as if you had never activated Sandbox mode at all (and deck B will automatically pause, for safety).
And you're ready to do the things you just tested out and found to work good, in Sandbox mode ...

Basically, Sandbox mode is a bit like if you would open a new VirtualDJ on a second computer, load the same songs and song positions, connect your headphones to this other computer, and try your mix and others stuff, while the first computer is still playing the song for the audience. Then return to the first pc playing out live, when satisfied with the testing on the second pc - and be ready to rock ;)

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 8:14 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
That's clever stuff.

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 8:37 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I was looking at the new skin and didn't notice the "shift" knob for loop. Is that what "roll" is for?

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:19 am
AndrewPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:21 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Was that meant for me Andrew?

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:23 am
Sandbox sounds good and all but this caters to djs using a midi controller, I don't see this working with a traditional analog mixer. Unless I'm missing something?

Posted Wed 14 Aug 13 @ 9:33 am
56%