Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New name for Virtual Dj 8 - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This topic occurs every 6-9 months.

Thanks for the input but the bottom line is --

If you are being graded by the tools you bring - then you are being judged for all the wrong reasons.

As for the 'image' trend - well maybe people should start looking at who the industry is teaming with for OEM Software support and who the industry is starting to team with for other product ventures. Its more than just the 'usual' suspects and some of them are even 'losing' ground.

As I said this is repetitive subject that continuously comes up ... I will leave it open for now - but if it gets 'overblown' - I will lock it.

Chris

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 12:30 pm
cstoll wrote :
This topic occurs every 6-9 months.

Sorry for bringing this up again.
I really only wish to leave my feedback so that you can realize the market in some countries. It's trough the Users the companies know the needs, and as i realize this discrimination is not global "thank GOD" but in Brazil it exists.

One of the argument many uses is that there is no TOP DJ actually using VDJ so it doesn't represents "credible" software. One time i argue a said "an example is Dennis Ferrer" and the person (a major party producer) said in that minute "thats not true...we had Ferrer 2 times in 2009 and 3 times in 2010 and he used only Traktor Pro", i said look at VDJ website and search for VIP DJ'S under COMPANY...but he shown me pics and the truth is that he was using always Traktor Pro...

Maybe it's a mistake from Atomix bringing Dennis Ferrer at the Website, or maybe is Dennis that is not carry out some partnership with Atomix.

In Brazilian dj's case, these leave us with no much support concerning "Top Dj Names" to support the branding around VDJ.

Just a thought.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 2:54 pm
Understand what you are saying - but what so called regional/local producers, clubs, booking agents - don't understanding is that there are Professional DJ's and Superstar DJ Entertainers.

When the Superstar DJ Entertainer is doing their "Professional DJ" resident gigs - they typically are not even using what you see them use when they are doing a "Superstar DJ" Entertainment gig. Also, most of the Superstar DJ's have almost every DJ software out there. Do they have their preferences (like we do) - Yes. Do they get paid to USE specific software on specific gigs - Yes.

So, again these 'local' areas that demand you use a specific BRAND - I would not even work for them. If they think that only a specific brand makes the Professional DJ as good as a Superstar DJ - then tell them to go hire the "Superstar DJ" - since that is what they really want - but can't afford.

As for specifics about Superstar DJs that have VirtualDJ or have used VirtualDJ - http://www.virtualdj.com/djs/index.html

And as for "Top DJ Names" - well that is a local issue. You need to build that locally. For Example - I am in the Virginia Beach, VA area of the US. 90% of the independent Top DJ Names and the Top 3 DJ Companies (with many DJs) - All use VirtualDJ. So, in my area - not a problem and not even a question by local venues.

But, I understand the issues you face - but the change has to come at the local level.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 3:20 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Sorry to disagree but you can't just go and change the name of a product like that just because you feel like it there are many complicated issues around changing something like this. I can tell you this it won't happen. It would be far easier, to just make something new wait we already did that too. Virtualdj the word and the word mark are here to stay.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 3:22 pm
I am gonna schedule a root canal, because this subject just makes me so happy.

News Flash. Bedroom DJs use Technics 1200s. Now what?

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 3:31 pm
Yeah sure luistfashion , of course having star djs use the software does help boost image.. Just like Nike or Adidas have star athletes.
VirtualDJ have not traditionally paid for star djs to use the software like others, but rather those stars that use VDJ, choose themselves to do so.

There will be more star acts in near future though...

And I totally sympathize with your views and inputs, boosting VDJ image is at the agenda, and lots have been done last years, with a far more accepted software at the pro scene now. As well as partners in hardware companies etc.

Its not at all like it used to be, VDJ is used at clubs everywhere now...

Dennis Ferrer using VirtualDJ at the hottest club in Paris

Yes, he does also use Traktor now, since Traktor is paying him to do so..
(VDJ does not)

And Dennis Ferrer + super star dj Kerri Chandler using VDJ

Superstar Video DJ group Coldcut - 4 djs with VirtualDJ ONLY at massive stadiums around the world - in front of thousands..

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 4:05 pm
Here is my input. Improve what club Djs use the most. The club Djs use mostly timecodes. In the configuration, remove most of the time code engines and leave the ones that work the best. The ones that are remaining, take them apart and build it from scratch. Atomix came out in the year 2000 and its almost 2011. The times code's should have been rock solid better than serato along time ago.

Once you fix that, you will see so many more Timecode user djs buying vritual dj. The united states alone holds the biggest market in the world for DJ's

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 5:49 pm
Caliente123 wrote :
The club Djs use mostly timecodes. In the configuration, remove most of the time code engines and leave the ones that work the best. The ones that are remaining, take them apart and build it from scratch.

Agreed 100%, but it seems like most of the people here are using midi controllers (seems to cater to them more in my opinion) so that makes us the outsiders. It has gotten better with this last release but still no where near the other company...............

Huey

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 6:06 pm
i don't have ANY issues with time code control? i use TC almost 99% of the time. i can use cdj's or turntables with various sound card setups and haven't had TC problems. other problems yes but not really any time code related .

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 6:19 pm
If you chose to ignore drifting and other things because you just deal with it, dont say that its perfect. Its very few users that say its perfect compared to soo many that say it needs work. Will you bet your mortgage on it that the timecodes work perfect and doesn't need more work ?

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 6:23 pm
LuisTFashion ...

I really appreciate the love that you show for Virtual DJ and I like the time and effort that you put into creating this thread .... however I am NOT with you in the idea of changing Virtual DJ's name.

I feel that this action just gives into the "haters" and says to the world that Atomix Productions doesn't stand behind their signature product ... so we are going to "trick" folks into thinking that this software is something else when it is the same thing under the hood as it was before.

Yes, Virtual DJ has received some slack regarding past versions - however I really love the direction that Atomix Productions is moving towards and I am really proud of what Virtual DJ 7 has to offer.

I definitely have tried other DJ software and somehow I always keep coming back to Virtual DJ .....

If Virtual DJ was really crappy software - WHY:
... do I constantly, every year see this product going toe-to-toe with Traktor, Serato, etc. when it comes to awards?
... why even waste the breath to talk about it and compare it with others? If it was truly CRAP ... there would be no comparisions.

This is important DJ software ...if it wasn't, it would have died long time ago - especially in the technological age that we live in today.

I'd rather put my vote for Atomix Productions to IMPROVE upon the Virtual DJ brand by creating aggressive marketing promotions .... ramping up for Virtual DJ 8

I'll still be there cheering them on ....

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 7:00 pm
splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I love VDJ and will not stop using it but lets not fool ourselves, most people have a negative reaction when you tell them you use VDJ. Everyone loves serato & Tractor and if you are using anything else then people think it is a joke. Once you mention VDJ you get that look, like it's not professional grade. I have used VDJ in weddings and many other events and it has never failed me.

Although the Virtual in VDJ does hurt it because Virtual means not real. A name change is a bad idea but it will take too long implement.

Paying superstar DJ to use the software is a great idea it will give VDJ more exposure and kill the argument that only bedroom djs use VDJ.

I think VDJ should add a hardware component like serato so that the software will only work with the hardware connected like serato. serato has never been pirated/cracked.

There are even some djs here on VDJ forum that use serato. I did a gig with one who I will not mention by name. When he came to the gig he used serato, I used VDJ. I was surprised because I thought the DJ on VDJ forum would be using VDJ.

The goal here is to make DJs, Promoters, Club owners and everyone else, take VDJ seriously because this software is professional grade. I could only hope that the owners of VDJ take steps to change the perception of the VDJ. Just my thoughts.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 9:04 pm
splao wrote :
Paying superstar DJ to use the software is a great idea it will give VDJ more exposure and kill the argument that only bedroom djs use VDJ.

I couldn't agree with you more. We need good marketing...

The product is good, so we need the "extra value" on it.
It's great pro hardware manufacturers are including the logo on their gear, but don't get me wrong, we (VDJ user's) can play with only a midi controller with no problem, but even if all in one controllers are a major trend for the future, many need to "trick" the audience by having to use CDJ's or TT with Timecode, The crown thinks there are cd's or vinyl playing (regular ones not time code) and this is a question of status....

There are all in one controllers that do the same!, and as far mobility is concerned, they are more portable and they can fit almost any "corner" on a busy dj booth (but that's another discussion). I've mentioned this just to say that the fact of new DENON DN-MC 6000 have a VDJ logo next to the TRAKTOR logo, doesn't mean it will change the opinion of that major community that "hates" VDJ, cause their not all in one midi controllers users.

This could be step by step, but the major point here is that there is potencial in VDJ, but no Celebrity advertising it...

My suggestion is to arrange with the new partners of ATOMIX like DENON, and to endorse Superstarts with all-in-one controllers along with a pro version of VDJ. With the condition they "wear" VDJ... Denon should already be doing that, and so it's only a question of partenership...

But the Gold was Pioneer or Allen & Heath adding a VDJ logo on their future all-in-one controllers (as rumors say they are preparing)... that will sure give VDJ a MAJOR STATUS UPGRADE!

Just my 2 cents.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 9:21 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
luistfashion wrote :
I couldn't agree with you more. We need good marketing...

Um, not to be a smart ass but, who is "we"? The owners of ATOMIX/VirtualDJ will/have/have always, kept their own counsel on what direction to take their (not our) company. As users, I appreciate the sense of ownership but, in the end, we are all just users of the software. If you are not happy with some others views on that, you might want to re-think your position. DJing is a passion, not a clique'.......Then again I could be wrong. I'm just a caveman.....

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 9:34 pm
Well luistfasion - I appreciate your concerns about what Atomix should be doing with regard to marketing.

But as I said in my prior post - what are you doing in your local area to change people's minds? If you are waiting on the "Big" guy to give you credibility in your skills and ability to throw the best event as a DJ ... then you will be waiting a long time.

I am not discounting what you have said - we have pushed very hard in the last couple years to change the perception and the first hints of that hard work are starting to be exposed at the street level. There are always projects that are in the works and things to come. A new year is upon us and it's only looking to be bigger and better than the last couple.

So, I understand your points of view; but don't go buy those Nike, Converse, Adidas,etc. basketball shoes - they will not make you a superstar basketball player, it's simple a marketing trick to make you think your skills will be better.

Have a great holidays ...

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 9:52 pm
Why would a company who has spent years on building it's popular DJ software change the name of it?
Just take a look at all the recent hardware releases and most of hardware manufactures have chosen to partner their hardware with Virtual DJ, that must tell you something.

I have never been asked what software I use, the only slack I get from Serato users us when they want to DJ a set on my setup and can't because they don't feel comfortable using my software since they are so used to doing it the Serato way.

Also the name Virtual DJ is searched more than Serato, which is the software that most club DJs here in the U.S. use.
http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Virtual+DJ&word2=Serato

That tells you that Virtual DJ's name has a large following and that would be stupid to get rid of that brand recognition.

But the beauty of VDJ is that if you don't like the virtual DJ name or look, you can make your own skin and name it whatever you want. It looks like you have some good graphic skills, why don't you give it a try and make a clone skin of the software the promoters want you to use.

If virtual DJ ever did change its name I think it should be to it's abbreviation VDJ so that people loyal to the Virtual DJ name can still know its the same software, like Kentucky Fried Chicken is now KFC, International House of Pancakes is now IHOP, American Telephone and Telegraph is now AT&T, CitiBank now just goes by Citi...etc These companies at one point in their history decided to change their name but they didn't change it drastically since they didn't want to loose their brand recognition.

I don't think the name should be changed and I like the direction in which this software is headed.

You shouldn't care what the famous DJ is doing, most of them have sold out completely and use stuff from their sponsors in an effort to increase their earnings.

Let's say you as a fashion designer goes up to Tiesto and tells him you will pay him $10,000 for him to wear your clothing on his gigs. Does that fact that you sponsor him make your clothing superior to anyone else's clothing? No it doesn't, it just means that you chose to spend your marketing dollars with Tiesto in an effort to capture the market that he plays to. People who see him wearing your clothes may think your brand must be so great because he wears it, but once he gets home he's going to wear the stuff he really likes.

Posted Wed 22 Dec 10 @ 10:54 pm
harbzHome userMember since 2010
away from what your discussing, can someone offer a little direction for me. I have been researching various software to setup systems and to me VDJ seems the most likely choice (based on trying HOME edition). Other software i am looking at is Serato, traktor. To be used for mobile DJ only. Do you have any preferences for Hardware controllers. Originally i was considering a rack mount and a mixer but the all-in-one controllers look interesting for my particular application. Here, everyone is pushing Serato and Traktor and no mention of VDJ, I'm in Australia. So for an ideal Mobile setup which would be the best package to put together software/hardware. I don't want to go and buy all of this stuff only to find out i should've done something different, happens all the time.

thanks
dave

Posted Thu 23 Dec 10 @ 3:49 am
Serato is from Australia.. (well New Zealand really) .. bet they are big there yeah ;) hehe

Anyways .. TONS of hardware to use with VDJ, and thats the beauty of VDJ compared to other software.
You can tailor VDJ to exactly what you want.. its not limited to a few controllers, one of few soundcards.
You can use it with anything.. to what suits you best ;)

So for your needs, you have a LOT to choose from..
SOME of the hardware is here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

And unlike other dj software, you can also choose to make VDJ have the interface you like most:
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/skins.html

:)

Posted Thu 23 Dec 10 @ 3:58 am
splao wrote :
I think VDJ should add a hardware component like serato so that the software will only work with the hardware connected like serato. serato has never been pirated/cracked.

While this might decrease piracy a bit, I'm not at all convinced that it would be worth the down sides;

1) Hardware type: the only acceptable hardware would be an USB-stick dongle. Limiting VDJ to few accepted hardware like Serato would be sheer lunacy. Just read the Serato forums and see how many people are pissed of that after buying CDJ-2000's they still have to keep the SSL dangling as a 500$ USB-dongle.

2) Logistic problems: Atomix Production is very effective in terms of logistics, i.e. they are able to serve a large customer base with a relatively small team mainly due to the fact that the product is delivered digitally instead of physically goods. Sending a physical object like an USB-stick to everyone who buys a licence take time and effort, which has tendency to be reflected on the price.

3) Extra hassle for the used: not only does the user have to waste one USB-port for the dongle, they will also have to fair for it to arrive via mail until they are able to use the software. Not to mention when the dongle gets lost/stolen/broken.

Posted Thu 23 Dec 10 @ 4:38 am
Unfortunately you will always run into the odd person that hates on VDJ, just like you get the guy at a gig who wants to challenge your music collection every 2 minutes coming up saying "I bet you haven't got..." it's just how it is.

I have only had a negative comment towards VDJ and offered the guy to have a go if he though it was so easy... Assuming that the "Sync" button on the controller would be used for just that (which it wasn't), he laid down what can only be described in stars and dollar signs.

My point is, they may diss the software... But you're the one with the gig at the end of the day, and chances are they couldn't even mix up a victoria sponge recipe let alone music/video.

I have used VDJ, Traktor and Serato... My favourite is VDJ not only for how the software looks and works... But because of these forums, the add-ons, the support etc etc.

Posted Thu 23 Dec 10 @ 5:07 am
63%