Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Controller - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

There were little rubbery covers around the edges of the jog wheels.

I took them off as I thought they were just shipping protection. When I tried to put them back on, they were rubbing against the top surface of the VMS4, preventing the platters from rotating!

What's really puzzling me is why the samples are playing when the sample volume control is moved. The mappings are different and look to be correct. I've noticed the samples starting at other times too, but I don't know what's doing it.

Buttons seem to be a slightly harder rubber than Denons.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 3:27 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
groovindj wrote :
I've just received my VMS4 today, and I've uploaded a two part review to YouTube, that can found
by searching for 'groovindj vms4 review'.

My first impressions, installing it and a brief try out.

Some comments on this video

First, see my prior post about having to install the LE version and how to scroll the browser.

As for the ASIO installer - not sure how AA packaged that installer so it could be run separately - have to contact them.

The skin - remember this is a LE product. I am sure that since it is shipping some of the fine skin makers will be building more skins.

As for the 'scratch' lag - not sure if just rocking the jog back-n-forth is a good test ... but if you are use to a more loose (or for those looking for a tighter control) don't forget you have the Scratch sensitivity option when using the Pro version.

Also, you need to have the rubber strips on the jogs if you want bending capabilities while in Vinyl mode.

As for the 20-day trial. As a Pro user, the LE picks up on that and turns off the trial period as it is not necessary. You already have the PRO version - why do you need to run the trial :)

groovindj wrote :
What's really puzzling me is why the samples are playing when the sample volume control is moved. The mappings are different and look to be correct. I've noticed the samples starting at other times too, but I don't know what's doing it.

That is a weird one and I can not reproduce it here ... but here would be a quick test ... don't turn the knob, just press down on it does the sample start ?

Oh, and are you going to register your LE ??? Think there is a cool little icon waiting for you if you do :)

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 3:31 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Let's remember for the price this isn't top end stuff, probably comparing to mixers it's like Behringer vs Pioneer .......

Keith

Sorry Keith ... would have to disagree on that .... but that is my opinion and not highly sought for :-)

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 3:37 pm
I can't press down on the sample volume control - it doesn't have that option!

I wanted to run the LE trial again to see if maybe there was a difference in the scratch response of the jog wheels.

Ooh wow, an icon of a box!

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 3:45 pm
Reason for asking was to see if there was just a contact issue on that knob ... :-)

The LE and v6.1.1 PRO are the same code, so there won't be a difference.

Ok, will see about fixing the icon :) ... thought we had that ready ... lol

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 3:59 pm
Looking good Chris, can't wait to get home from work tomorrow. The controller is with the courier as we speak ......

Think I will go back to the Windows version of VDJ for a while, it's all configured on XP 32bit and ready to go!

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 4:23 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
What about response of buttons? You demonstrated on video that sometimes play_pause misses when clciked constantly (circa 2:00-2:08 on the video). That makes me nervous as the response of buttons is the most important thing.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 4:38 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 5:08 pm
The right pause button is the only one that (on my unit) doesn't play nicely.

If I press on its left edge it works, but pressing in the centre or the right is hit and miss.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 5:19 pm
@Cstoll and Groovindj,
I think maybe the problem with the samples is that he(you) might have auto-play checked in the sample bank options?? Thats how the sample will act with it checked. Ever time you move the volume fader up for the samples theyll start to play and when you lower it the sample will stop.

Just a thought
Huey

PS, I'm alittle jealous right about now, lol!!

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 5:21 pm
Yeah, that was it - Autoplay.

Thanks.

What a weird option though.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 6:13 pm
Just picked up my VMS4 at the local store. Going to hook it up and test it out tonight. It is lot heavier than I expected which is a great thing (not made of plastic). Looks great and feels great as far as I can tell.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 7:11 pm
Good call Huey ... what is odd is that is not the default setting for samples .. so yes - weird. Thanks.

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 7:12 pm
That's my parcel arrived ..... but I won't be home for another 6 hours.

I'm quite sure my 7 year old will have it up and running with VDJ long before that!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 5:58 am
Yes as was my question, why a funny power supply like this? thought my radio mic was bad enough!!

Problem is I try to stear clear of domestic multiplugs and use a rackmount powerstrip that has IEC inputs but with this you've no chance just as with your radio mic.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 6:00 am
As you will see from my icons on the left, my VMS4 has arrived ;-)

Haven't unboxed it yet as I'm getting some jobs done around the house (keeping the mrs happy) which will free up some time for me later to have a proper play.

In the meantime I'm backing up my DJ partition and setting a restore point just in case it all goes wrong...

See you all on the VMS4 side ;-)

Roy

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 6:07 am
I just done a fresh bootcamp install of XP and I have left VDJ live on the Mac side so if it all goes Pete Tong I can just revert to the HC-4500 on MacOS.

I have to fix the toilet when I get home first, it's leaking all over the bathroom floor. Oh the joys of being a man!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 6:18 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Any other evidence of faling play_pause button, or any other buttons? This is my biggest concern right now.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 7:42 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's hard to understand why PLAY and PAUSE position are inverted respect any common standard DJ units in this world, maybe it's possible to open the unit and invert buttons inside, is there any kamikaze that it will open its new VMS4? :)))

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 7:46 am
So they are, should be easy enough to do and remap the buttons. That will confuse me!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 8:30 am
81%