Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Controller - Page: 6

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Looking forward to your review, Roy. Congrats!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 8:59 am
cioce wrote :
It's hard to understand why PLAY and PAUSE position are inverted respect any common standard DJ units in this world, maybe it's possible to open the unit and invert buttons inside, is there any kamikaze that it will open its new VMS4? :)))

hehe You get me one and I'll have it opened !!!

Hopefully down the road though I plan on having one, the Total Control has had it's fair share of mods and it's starting to die now.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 12:03 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I just wish the standard was cue/stop and play myself.
I would imagine this could be reversed and the map changed Cioce.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 12:05 pm
Details man, details.
What exactly is happening?

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 12:27 pm
Quick few points from the last hour .....

1 - Quality of the unit is better than I thought, however one of the knob LED's is not as bright as the rest and the left jog wheel scrapes a bit going round.

2 - Touch sensitive strips don't seem to do anything, are they mapped for use with VDJ?

3 - How do you enable frame cueing if possible?

4 - I noticed for a start the outside of the jog wheel pitch bended and the inside scratched, after removing the rubber it's not doing that any more. In the manual it says the outside and inside of the wheels work independent of each other?

5 - No power supply adapter to UK plug in the box at all, I found one that sort of works in the garage!

6 - If cue 2 button has been used then put off, if you click cue 3 then 4 lights up as well.

Looks good though, will give it a spin on Sat.

Keith

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 2:09 pm
I get the cue button thing too - so it's not just mine!

The reason for the rubber surrounds on the jogs is so it doesn't react to you touching it - so you get the bending from the edges
because they're moving but not being touched. Take them off and the edge reacts the same way as the top.

Solution - wear gloves!

No, the strips are not mapped. I'm thinking about using them for scrolling the songs. I'd rather be able to do that using one touch, not two
as it is now (shift + sample select).

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 3:04 pm
The cue bug seems to be firmware related, in VDJ if you have auto headphones on load, it switches to Midilog 2 when deck 1 is loaded correctly, but when deck 2 is loaded it selects Midilog 4.

In the manual it says the inside and outside of the wheels are independent. I can't quite figure this out. Is the rubber supposed to be on or not?

Note: The inside of the wheel is touch sensitive and the outside edge of the wheel is not. Example:
You can scratch by touching the inside or center of the wheel, and pitch bend when you touch the
outside edge of the wheel.

Chris, can you please check this and report back to AA if possible?

Thanks - Keith

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 3:29 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
kradcliffe wrote :
In the manual it says the inside and outside of the wheels are independent. I can't quite figure this out. Is the rubber supposed to be on or not?

Note: The inside of the wheel is touch sensitive and the outside edge of the wheel is not. Example: You can scratch by touching the inside or center of the wheel, and pitch bend when you touch the outside edge of the wheel.

From my prior post about groovindj's video ...
cstoll wrote :
Also, you need to have the rubber strips on the jogs if you want bending capabilities while in Vinyl mode.

kradcliffe wrote :
2 - Touch sensitive strips don't seem to do anything, are they mapped for use with VDJ?

No they were not mapped ...

groovindj wrote :
No, the strips are not mapped. I'm thinking about using them for scrolling the songs.

It will not work properly as the strips are absolute and over sensitive ... trust me, it was attempted.

kradcliffe wrote :
3 - How do you enable frame cueing if possible?

Frame cueing??

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 4:10 pm
Hi Chris

In the manual it says the jog wheels can do 3 modes ..... scratch, pitch bend and frame cueing.

I think frame cueing is like on the old Denons, where it repeats the frame of the song at a fast rate and you can cue against that rather than skimming the track with pitch bend.

It also says nothing about the rubber wheel covers in the manual but I accept what you are saying. No problem for me as I don't use vinyl mode anyway.

What is the best way to report the cue bug to AA. Do you have any contacts there?

Thanks

Keith

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 4:27 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
kradcliffe wrote :
In the manual it says the jog wheels can do 3 modes ..... scratch, pitch bend and frame cueing.

I think frame cueing is like on the old Denons, where it repeats the frame of the song at a fast rate and you can cue against that rather than skimming the track with pitch bend.

Don't know why that is there ... maybe didn't get cut out from the 'former' writing ... but as you know VirtualDJ does not do frame cueing.

kradcliffe wrote :
It also says nothing about the rubber wheel covers in the manual but I accept what you are saying. No problem for me as I don't use vinyl mode anyway.

Sometimes not everything makes it in the manual :)

kradcliffe wrote :
What is the best way to report the cue bug to AA. Do you have any contacts there?

You need to use their listed contact method from the documentation or their website.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 5:51 pm
Hey fellas I had the Velocity Mp3 Dual CDJ's and it had the same platters and mine had the rubber on it, so my opinion I say the rubber is SUPPOSED to be on there. Is it clear plastic, you can still see the dots around the platter edge?? If its clear I'd say leave it on.

Huey

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 6:15 pm
paulcinPRO InfinityMember since 2010
cstoll wrote :
You need to install the LE to get to the LE provided elements - firmware updater/skin/etc. Once you install it ... just reinstall your Pro version and you are done. You don't lose anything and yet gain a lot.

There was a question about the 'select' knobs (white mark on top) - Yes, those knobs are endless encoder knobs. Currently with the Shift+knob action they are used to scroll through the browser. Shift+Effect Select knob = Folder tree browsing // Shift+Sample Select knob = Track browsing

There was a question about the EQs - by default the VMS4 on-board EQ is master. There is no mapping to VirtualDJ's EQs. This was based on feedback from testers - and I believe it was the correct choice. So, if you want to change mode and disable the on-board EQs and use VirtualDJs EQs then you will have to map that functionality.

You will want to use v6.1.1 with it ... the mapping changed between v6.1 release and v6.1.1.

And Yes, it is shipping with both PC and Mac LE versions.

Thanks for your help, my disk must be faulty can't install, mac disk cant even read it....

Until drivers are placed on AA store I wont be do anything I cant install the LE Disk!

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 6:22 pm
Sounds like a Denon X500 Mixer & an HC-4500 Controller is the way to go then eh? lol

Sorry, but this new gizmo is nothing to me but a possible 'Back-up' unit.

The only unit I would even consider other than my Denon rig is the Numark NS7 & that I find inordinately over priced, but at least it has the 'Sync' button right next to the Play & Pause which if I was to design anything is where I would put it 'DUH'! Can't even see a 'Sync' button on the VMS4 unit anywhere or have I drank so much Molson that I am losing my vision?

In all seriousness this unit offers nothing more than the Herc Rmx other than the ability to act as a mixer which all the clubs I work at already have & also in my Denon set-up. Yes it is laid out bigger than the Herc, but personally for me still not what I'm looking for.

Enjoy it gang for those of you who get it & hope it does the trick for you! I'm waiting for something to come along, but this isn't it!
]
I still think they missed the boat on the design of this baby.

If the NS7 would have had the added mixer capabilities & the proper mic hook-up I would buy one in a heart beat, but alas my Denon rig albeit bulkier than I'd prefer has never let me down, offers all of what this does & more & I can use the exercise lol

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 11:26 pm
When i mess with it.. Im, going to give my review Based on how it feels and reponds. Features is last on the list.

Posted Thu 05 Aug 10 @ 11:49 pm
paulcinPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Ok I have VSM4 but can't use it as I can't load the software on the install disk provided. I have VDJ Pro edition already, I have tried to load VDJ LE but it seems to be a fault with this file:

install_virtualdj_le_vms4_v6.1.mpkg

the DMG is faulty on my disc have tried it now in both my macs and it doesn't work however it loaded on PC Format, I have had some help with some of you I would like to say thanks for that,

Can someone send me this file, I already have serial number so I don't see it as a breach as must still need that to work it.

Can anyone help?

MisterC

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 12:54 am
A very frustrating evening. Let's start from the beginning...

Installation went smooth. Followed Chris's advice, installed the AA disc (which dosn't autorun by the way) which installed LE and the ASIO (AZ-ee-o, ACE-o ????) drivers. Then plugged in the VMS4 which was recognised and installed. So I never got any of issues groovindj did.

So expecting things 'just to work' at this point, I plugged in my monitors (to the master out) cued up a couple of tracks and hit play. Nothing!!! I turned the master, gains and faders to the max and got a bt of noise in the VU's. Couldn't even get anything in the headphones.

I checked the settings and they were set to no inputs, external mixer and ASIO, Checked that the midilogs were USB (set them all at this stage) Restarted VDJ - Still Nothing.

However I know found that if I hit the cue button on midilog 1 or 2 then the VU's kicked in as if the track as playing, but still nothing through the phones or the master out...

Next I thought I'd try the LE version - I thought it mst work with LE right... Wrong!!! exactly the same as with Pro. However I experienced another issue with LE. When I hit congig, I got the popup for try pro for 20 days. Can't remember what the two options were now but from what I remember it was worded in a way that meant I had to choose Pro - so I did. Hit config again and was told my 20 days had expired! and I could not access the settings at all to see how it was set up.

Restarted the lappy (for the 3rd time) and this time it started working. I changed nothing except having the episode with LE, but apart from that nothing changed.

Now though the decks were asignd to midilogs 1 and 2. I'm sure I read somewere here (chris/rick) that VDJ would be assigned to midilogs 2 and 3 leaving 1 and 4 for other devices. I went back to settings and found the advanced setup under the ASIO and saw that I could assign the sound card channels independently to the midilog channels. So I assigned channels 1&2 to midilog 2 and 3&4 to midilog 3. Then just assigned 5&6 to midilog 1 and 7&8 to midilog 4 just so that everything had its own place. BINGO... Now working as expected.

However I noticed that the 4 out/8 out switch had no effect on the ASIO settings or the device. Do I need to have VDJ setup for timecodes for this to kick in?

I then remembered another piece of Chris's info from early on. I set VDJ's output to 3 line mixer mode. This no gives me the sampler on channels 5&6 which is currently mapped to midilog 1.

So I'm up and running, but not as straightforward as I would like. I'll start a new post on the issues (some already reported) but this is just my frustration post!!!

I will say though, once working it is a very nice unit. all th buttons are very responsive I can't notice any lag and the sound quality is really good. Have played with the most f the features but need to do a full set to get a proper feel of it.

More to follow,

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 3:37 am
Yeah, I've already been over the LE config thing with some ADJ employees on YouTube!

OK I know it's down to the VDJ guys really, not ADJ - but it's still pretty daft to have a button marked config that has NO config options!

The 4 out/8 out switch - I discovered that the change only gets noticed by the software once you power cycle the VMS4.

So if you want to change from one sound card setting to the other, you have to cut the juice.

Back to ADJ again - it's bad of ADJ not to put any of the setup files online now that the hardware is shipping.

It's inevitable there will be issues with install discs etc. but there is sweet FA on any of the ADJ or AA sites.

Again I have raised this with ADJ.

Come and join everyone on the American Audio Forum (just Google it) where there's a dedicated VMS4 area.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:32 am
Issue 1

Not a technical issue - there is nothing in the manual or in the setup - visually, that tells you what the default midilog mappings are. I assumed midilog 3 and 4 but maybe that is because I had priveldged information which didn't pan out. However you really are left to your own devices when it coms to discovering how to get started. I feel a "getting started" guide coming on...

Issue 2

Again not technical - the jog wheels are off centre. Not that it makes any difference to the performance but considering the build quality of the unit this is a let down.

Issue 3

Final non technical issue - The power supply sucks!! I know AA have a habit of shipping with european plugs (my SDJ1 is the same, but the pins on this supply are vertical which means the PSU sits horizontally in the adaptor which will make it awkward when plugging in to power strips or wall sockets.

Issue 4

Cue buttons - I've narrowed the issue down to VDJ. When the unit runs in analoue mode or connected via USB, but without VDJ started, the cue buttons work as expected. However as soon as you start VDJ the buttons start to act strangly. I'll upload a video to explain.

Issue 5

Effect Knob - This is way to sensative. Turning the knob often bypasses effects or moves on the next without you realising. Is there a way to adjust this via VDJScript?

That's it for now. Will report ore as I find them.

Will also report to AA.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:42 am
Paul

There are already two groups on FB.
Looking on the ADJ forums they have another 12 on the first page that have vms4 in the title.

Things are going to get pretty crazy if the information gets scattered about.

Please try to keep the feed back here so we can properly support the issues that come up.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:42 am
What I meant was that the VDJ issues are fine here, but any ADJ issues - like hardware and firmware - would be better off on their own forum, as it probably won't get seen here.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:52 am
98%