Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ddj sz vs ns72.... which one is the better buy and why? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

drjustPRO InfinityMember since 2006
im faced with a decision...ddj sz or ns72....they say ns72 has better build quality..need feed back asap

Posted Fri 28 Mar 14 @ 12:05 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Both are flagship controllers of separate companies, Pioneer and Numark.

Depending on your background or preference these are the main points:
If you are used with turntables (spinning platters)... NS7 II
If you are used with CDJs or Midi-Controllers (static platters)... SZ

Can't go wrong whichever you get. Feedbacks might help for a little bit but testing the units yourself might be the best thing to do.

Hope you find a music store that has floor models for testing.

*You have to note too that there's an on-going issue on the SZ platters sensitivity - You might want to wait until the issue get fixed before diving in.*

Posted Fri 28 Mar 14 @ 1:29 pm
The SZ does have 2 sound cards which is a major + in my book plus it has tension adjustment which I don't believe the NS7 has (I could be wrong though)......

Posted Fri 28 Mar 14 @ 2:49 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
At THIS moment, I would give the edge to the Numark NS7II because the Pioneer DDJ SZ is having issues with platter sensitivity.

I do not own a NS7II but I DO own the DDJ SZ and it's NOT ready for primetime.

Posted Sun 30 Mar 14 @ 5:18 pm
I really do not like the way the NS7 mirrors decks, prefer the more traditional deck layout on SZ. I saw a SZ in the flesh last week and it was a work of art.

Posted Sun 30 Mar 14 @ 5:37 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
djcity wrote :
At THIS moment, I would give the edge to the Numark NS7II because the Pioneer DDJ SZ is having issues with platter sensitivity.

I do not own a NS7II but I DO own the DDJ SZ and it's NOT ready for primetime.

LOL, really?
Afaik the SX had the same issues until the provided a new firmware for it.

Edit: Found it

Ver.1.00 ->Ver.1.01 (1 November, 2012 Update)
- Optimized the touch sensor sensitivity adjustment range for the jog dial.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 6:18 am
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
the so called problem with SZ jog wheel is it won't respond it you touch it with just your fingertip that I highly doubt many people would do in a real life situation.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 8:27 am
gullum wrote :
the so called problem with SZ jog wheel is it won't respond it you touch it with just your fingertip that I highly doubt many people would do in a real life situation.

You would be wrong.

It IS EXACTLY how people would use it in real life.

I own it and recorded a short video of the SZ issue. DON'T FREAK OUT...I used Serato.

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAcGPYh4Ws0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 12:01 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Sluggish and non responsive, just like I thought would be like. Pioneer really should of went with some real pressure sensors like CDJs. The platters are terrible compared to the NS7 on its little brother.

DJ Kavika

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 12:25 pm
Remember this isn't american dj, they will sort it with a firmware update soon.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 3:24 pm
I would get an NS7 II if not for the weight.

Don't get me wrong. I have been around the block and USED to carry technic 1200's and cases and crates of records so i'm no stranger to heavy equipment.
I just prefer lighter gear now.

When I had my NS7, after a while it seemed to get heavier each time I had to pick it up. I had it like all my other gear in a case which just made it that much heavier.

I am truly hoping Pioneer can and will fix the SZ cause "I" don't want a NS7 II but I would strongly steer someone away from the SZ until AFTER they are fixed/replaced and I would wait for quite some time to be sure the entire 1st, 2nd and 3rd run of them has been sold off and I would NOT under ANY circumstances buy a used SZ. Because of their problems, I would ONLY buy a brand new unit and ONLY after some time has gone past and then, ONLY from an authorized Pioneer retailer.

Here is the 2nd reason I would advise someone getting a NS7 II over the SZ

http://youtu.be/Stuhs3FwbCI

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 10:16 am
djcity wrote :
You would be wrong.

It IS EXACTLY how people would use it in real life.

You think? With one finger? I've even found another video with some guy demonstrating the "issue" using just the very tip of one finger. Who the hell DJs like that? Scratching or cueing with one finger.....

I must be the odd one out of your quoted "people" who'd use a single finger, because I'd use however many I could fit on the platter.

On a full size CDJ platter like that, you have room for at least three fingers. Even small platters such as those on a VMS4 have room for two fingers.

I'm with gullum on this one. Seems like a non-issue to me (unles it reacts the same way when using more digits).

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:03 am
Groovin it's a 2000 dollar controller!! It shouldn't matter if it's 1 finger or 100, it should react the same regardless!! This is just unexcptable for a controller that cost that much and especially coming from a company that is the so called "club standard".

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:08 am
This guy doesn't seem to be having any problem using it:

.....or this guy (note the amount of fingers being used):

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:15 am
groovindj wrote :
This guy doesn't seem to be having any problem using it:

.....or this guy (note the amount of fingers being used):

Yeah but me and very many others are having an issue and it's a real issue.

Here is a guy (Me) THAT OWNS A SZ that has a REAL PROBLEM

Here is the 2nd unit that I OWN with a problem

I amazes me to hear people talk about things THEY DON'T OWN!

Pioneer even acknowledges the problem and if you know anything about Pioneer....

They try to NEVER admit that one of their products has an issue.

From Pioneer

"Dear valued Pioneer customers,

We received reports from some of DDJ-SZ users regarding the Jog platter sensitivity issue. To those who reported this issue, we sincerely thank you for taking your precious time to provide us with the information.

Our engineers have been, and are still, investigating possible causes of this issue. However, it would take some more time to precisely evaluate and analyze the investigation results. We will provide you with any updates on the status of this issue by mid April at the latest.

We sincerely appreciate your kind patience and understanding."

My retailer has had them coming back left and right.
They have had about 50 SZ's returned so far.
They had stock of 150 units in total and have 6 left.

That's a hell of a return rate!

They assured me that I won't be "stuck" though. They said they have been in touch with Pioneer and Pioneer is working on a fix but no word what that fix may be.

They let me know that I don't have to worry about a 30 day return policy.
They know the units are defective and will allow me and others to return for exchange or refund well after 30 days.
He actually said 50, 60 days, it doesn't matter because the units are faulty and they bill Pioneer for any returns.

If you don't own one please refrain from commenting on weather something is an "issue" or not as you would truly have NO IDEA.

Oh.....
Most DJ's that scratch or have to hold the record. platter... do so with 1 finger.
VERY hard to scratch with 3 fingers on a record or platter.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:30 am
One more thing....

DJ Pulse from Pioneer

Sorry guys, there's so many comments, I'm going to plead a "TL,DR" on any posts since my last update. If there's anything specific that hasn't already been discussed that you'd like to draw my attention to, please contact me directly via PM.

The engineers are actually investigating a couple of different, possibly unrelated, issues with the SZ (and this is why not all users are experiencing the same problems, or at all) and they are working overtime to determine the exact causes and the best solutions. I have been contacting some users directly for additional information, so please check your direct messages here on the Serato site.

I understand that many users are upset that this flagship controller isn't living up to its expectations but Pioneer thanks you for your patience during this time.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:51 am
djcity wrote :
Most DJ's that scratch or have to hold the record. platter... do so with 1 finger.

ROFL!

I wonder how many videos I could find of people scratching with one finger? Those two examples I posted certainly weren't using one finger.

Let's see. Who's a really well known turntablist? Q Bert perhaps.

Plenty of fingers being used there.

How about DJ Angelo using a small jogwheel on a controller?

Nope. Multiple fingers. Even on a small platter.

Who's this guy using multiple fingers? Oh......wait. It's YOU!

OK now it's your turn. Find me some serious scratchers using one finger.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 12:07 pm
That is me with ONE finger. The other fingers are close to the platter but only 1 finger is touching and you STILL should NOT comment on things YOU DON'T OWN.

You need to grow up groovin and stop acting like a cranky old man. Stop being so bitter.

You have posted about 1 finger scratching but totally ignored the Pioneer statements about THE SZ PROBLEMS.

Really dude, you need to stop being so negative and/or commenting about things you really have no real idea about.

I'm appealing to you as a gentleman and as a professional.
Many on these forums dislike you and I am trying NOT to be one of them.

The problems with the DDJ-SZ are real. They exist and Pioneer has acknowledged the issues.

The rest of your arguments are bullshit as far as how an individual scratches.

The problems are real

I OWN the equipment so I speak from 1st hand knowledge and experience

Pioneer is aware of the REAL problems with the units

Is this not enough for you to fall back and if not admit you might be wrong, as least stop trying to defend useless points about scratching techniques?

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 12:58 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Groovin it's a 2000 dollar controller!! It shouldn't matter if it's 1 finger or 100, it should react the same regardless!! This is just unexcptable for a controller that cost that much and especially coming from a company that is the so called "club standard".

To me Huey has nailed this argument.

If the SZ was a $200 controller then you get what you pay for. But it isn't, its a $2k dollar controller and should work with one finger or 10.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 1:01 pm
djcity wrote :
you STILL should NOT comment on things YOU DON'T OWN.

Actually I do own fingers. I have four of them on each hand, along with my thumbs.

Whether or not I own a DDJ-SZ is not relevant, because that doesn't stop me having an opinion on how people generally scratch.

N.B. At no point have I denied there's an issue with the DDJ-SZ (when used with one finger). Your video clearly demonstrates the problem.

What I'm saying (to backup what gullum said earlier) is that using a single finger to scratch or otherwise manipulate a platter is not how most people would do it. I have backed this up with videos which clearly show DJs using multiple fingers.

I've suggested that you back up your statement by posting example videos of "one finger DJs". You've not done so.

djcity wrote :
The rest of your arguments are [censored] as far as how an individual scratches.
Bad language is not permitted on the forum.

I'm not arguing. I'm stating my opinion and backing it up with evidence. I've shown videos which clearly indicate that "world class" DJs don't scratch with one finger. I could post many more. YouTube is full of DMC World Champion standard turntablists manipulating both vinyl and jogwheels.

You claim that "most DJs" use one finger. I'll admit I'm wrong if you show me some evidence.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 1:38 pm
41%