Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ddj sz vs ns72.... which one is the better buy and why? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
@ groovin
That's reasonable.
Maybe I misunderstood you earlier but it really IS an issue and you did say...

Quote :
I'm with gullum on this one. Seems like a non-issue to me (unles it reacts the same way when using more digits).

To be fair though, the SZ also has problems when using multiple fingers.

I have been around DJ's all my life.
I grew up in the Bronx NYC where ALL this scratching and Hip Hop started and I was there when it did.

I grew up watching Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Luvbug Starski and all the rest. I did not see them on TV or youtube but LIVE and in person at parties and jams and i'm not talking about being some random person way out in the crowd but being right there at the decks face to face.

I'm not talking about people on Youtube but real life DJ's that primarily cut with one finger.
Scratch DJ's primarily cut with one finger because it's easier to manipulate the platter with 1 finger as opposed to 2 or more fingers.

I'm also not going to go searching the internet to find DJ's that use one finger to scratch.
Some dj's use multiple fingers but most primarily use ONE finger and that is the middle finger.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 1:47 pm
Yup I agree, I usually cut with 1 or 2 just depends on what I'm trying to do. But the fact is that this is a 2000 dollar controller!!! IT SHOULD WORK WITH HOW EVER MANY FINGERS I CHOOSE TO USE!! end of story period!!

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 1:51 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Yup I agree, I usually cut with 1 or 2 just depends on what I'm trying to do. But the fact is that this is a 2000 dollar controller!!! IT SHOULD WORK WITH HOW EVER MANY FINGERS I CHOOSE TO USE!! end of story period!!

^This^

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 2:01 pm
djcity wrote :
I grew up in the Bronx

Well you're ahead of me there, because I'm in the UK and it took time to arrive here - but I witnessed it first hand too. I was already DJing when scratching reached the UK. I learned it during those early years.

I took part in the very first DMC mixing contest, and for years afterwards attended the yearly DMC shows, which were all live.

The DJs I used as examples are "real life DJs". Just because they have YouTube videos doesn't render them unimportant or non valid.

djcity wrote :
you did say...

Quote :
I'm with gullum on this one. Seems like a non-issue to me

You missed out the rest of the sentence, where I said "unless it reacts the same way when using more digits".

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 2:24 pm
Fixed

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 2:42 pm
Back on topic...

At this time, the NS7 II is the better buy over the Pioneer DDJ-SZ due to the problems and issues that the DDJ-SZ is experiencing.

I have posted videos of some of the issues so one can make an informed choice.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 2:51 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
-

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 5:38 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I walked the SZ 3 blocks in the box it ships with. It's so long and awkward to carry. I will tell you it's not much lighter than the NS7 . I had to take a couple breaks on the way to the club. My friend rents everything that comes out new, so he wanted me to try it out. If the platters don't work right all you are paying for is the look of it. It's just bigger than the SX. The platters suck. No where near using a real CDJ at all. Sluggish and when you trying to cue a song it thinks you have lifted your hand off the platter.

DJ Kavika

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 5:40 pm
Djcity

Long time bro I think I may have found the problem get up with me when you can by p.m.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:30 pm
I'm having the same problem with my unit I'm giving myself 24 hours before I return it. I'm not sure if a firmware update will fix this. I'm not a scratch DJ but I do need to beat mix and this is not working for me at all.

Posted Sun 06 Apr 14 @ 11:51 pm

Posted Mon 07 Apr 14 @ 12:01 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well this one seems very similar to the Driverack thread a while back, same basis of no hands on opinions.

The question was a lot broader than the jog sensitivity.
The customer satisfaction on both of these puts them neck in neck.
Weight and size has been a factor especially in cozy booths.

A while back this came out, side by side comparison uncovers some things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYPjMYz974

Posted Mon 07 Apr 14 @ 6:07 am
UPDATED STATEMENT

Official updated statement from Pioneer regarding the DDJ-SZ

We have identified that the jog platters on some DDJ-SZ units may not respond to a touch depending on how users touch them. Please visit the link below and find a contact in your country if you experience the above mentioned symptom.

pioneerdj.com

Posted Mon 07 Apr 14 @ 3:17 pm
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U P D A T E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retailer has received a memo from Pioneer.

Pioneer is asking for a return on ALL STOCK of DDJ-SZ's.

I have been given a return label for free shipping back to the retailer and they will send my SZ along with all the other returned SZ's and their remaining stock back to Pioneer for replacement.

It's official!
It's a HARDWARE issue and Pioneer will be replacing units.

No word on how long it will take Pioneer to get it done though.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 12:03 pm

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 12:49 pm
On the official Piooner Dj website there's no announcement for ALL units. There is an announcement to contact your dealer if you own SUCH a defective unit. So my guess is that it's a production batch fault (some serial numbers) and not the entire range.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 1:33 pm
I've emailed Pioneer for confirmation.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 2:56 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
On the official Piooner Dj website there's no announcement for ALL units. There is an announcement to contact your dealer if you own SUCH a defective unit. So my guess is that it's a production batch fault (some serial numbers) and not the entire range.

There is not.

That is from the memo to my retailer.

All the stores stock is being returned.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 4:43 pm
groovindj wrote :
I've emailed Pioneer for confirmation.

Why?? Seriously do you even own one?? I don't believe you do, I could w wrong but I doubt it. What is this hard on for City you have??

I have one word for you, "HOOKERS"!! There not all bad and will fill your time instead of hanging out here arguing about gear you don't even own.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 5:33 pm

SBDJMember since 2006
What the?!

A user was letting everyone know they were having issues with the controller. This issue has been quite widely discussed. If the affected users choose to scratch or use one finger that is their choice.

groovindj:

You are going to have to wind back that confrontational attitude. Many threads have become argumentative after you pick a point and start to argue it. There really was no need to go trawling for videos trying to prove that DJs don't use a single finger - just accept the user has that issue and move on.

The complaints are starting to stack up and at some point action will have to be taken.

Posted Wed 09 Apr 14 @ 5:43 pm
82%