Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Urgent help required!!!! - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm sorry but I went back and read every comment in this thread.

Sir, YOU ARE WOUND WAY TOO TIGHT.

No one said anything negative to you.

All I see in your thread is fellow DJ's trying to help in whatever way they were able to including myself.

I've been Dj'ing for 21 years. I have done latin night with latin music given to me from the latin house dj who ROCKS the place every thursday night. I KNOW I played the right songs but I still crashed & burned cause I was did not KNOW the music so even though I played all the right songs, I played them in the wrong order, played diffrent genres together (cause I did not know any better).

I got EVERY mix down perfect, no dead spots and if I was playing Hip Hop, It would have been a GREAT night but.... I GOT ROASTED CAUSE I DID NOT KNOW THE MUSIC.

So, please calm down, accept that we are only trying to help and have a GREAT NIGHT.

GOOD LUCK

Posted Fri 19 Sep 08 @ 4:50 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
held off from this one for a while, been watching it progress and i got to go with syberman, the guy asked for some help/direction in a new environment he was not accustomed to, it does not matter whether someone knows a particular style of music, he was asking for your help, give it, or shut it, but do not lambast the guy,

and the song your taking, "work from someone else that knows the music" does not hold sway with me, if they were good enough syberman would not be in with a shout would he, best of luck to you mate, hope everything works out for you.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 08 @ 7:46 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
tayla wrote :
held off from this one for a while, been watching it progress and i got to go with syberman,

Here, Here.

I had to bite my tongue too.

Rish, go for it mate, as to repeat myself from the PM. You won't learn anything if you don't. If it all goes tit's up think of it as a lesson learnt, but I'm sure it won't.

Best wishes my friend.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 08 @ 7:53 pm
The remark about taking a gig from another DJ was kinda harsh but I did not take it as being rude. I understand where he was coming from and what he was trying to say.

I'll say this for myself.

I REALLY wish you all the best and wish I could have helped more but, I can't so I tried to provide guidance.

If I was out of line, That was NOT my intent.

About a year and a half ago someone put me in a situation to play latin music at a club that I normally play at on friday nights. Thursday is latin night and the DJ was not going to be there. He used to come to my shows and really liked what I did and how I did it so he asked me to fill in for him.

I told him I don't know the music and don't have any. He gave me his hard drive and TOLD me what to play. Said i'll be just fine. I had the music for a week before I had to play.

On shownight, I thought I was ready, had a good line up all ready to go and practiced beforehand. STILL BURNED OUT. I just did not know the music well enough to rock the party. AND THE CROWD LET ME KNOW AS WELL AS THE OWNER.

All my mixes were real good but my selection was way off.

I would hate to see another DJ crash and burn by playing a genera unknown to him at an audition with a crowd and the manager listening with a keen ear. Of all places and times to wreck, that is just about the worst.

So, I say again,

GOOD LUCK DUDE I hope it all works out for you.

Posted Fri 19 Sep 08 @ 9:11 pm
tayla wrote :
and the song your taking, "work from someone else that knows the music" does not hold sway with me, if they were good enough syberman would not be in with a shout would he, ........

You are probably talking about my response (or I have a guilty conscious)...the dude may end up being very good at latin night, or he could crash and burn, I have no way of knowing....but as we all know TALENT and being the best doesn't always get the job becasue MOST club owners don't really know a good Dj from a bad Dj. My point was, if you get the gig...not being prepared and not knowing the music (which he addmitted in the original post) but for some reason gets the gig because the owner had some reason to give it to you (maybe he has an axe th grind with the hot latin Dj in town, who knows why), you had better not bitch or complain when you go into a house club and some hip hop guy that doesn't know house and isn't as good as you at house has a position you think you should have gotten because that owner didn't know a good house dj and the hip hop guy is there for whatever reason.

The post had nothing to do with his talent or skill, just his consciounce.

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 7:16 am
Helllo everyone, I just want to give you a head's up on how my night went last night. I got there around 8pm, setup and was finished around 9:30pm. I started playing at 10pm, not alot of people there when I started. I started with Bachata/Salsa. The crowd liked it, but was not really feeling it. So, around 11:45pm the crowd started rolling in. I started playing Reggaeton. The crowd was bopping their heads, the guys were buying girls drinks and the girls were dancing on the floor. The crowd slowley progressed to the floor and I played rap/ reggae/ reggeton. The crowd liked it. Then around 12:15am, I mixed it up with latin house. The crowd really liked it. One guy came up to the dj booth and told me to make a cd for him, lol. Anyway, I ended the night playing latin house.

At the end of the night, the G.M. told me I did really well compared to the other two dj's couple of weeks prior. He told me that the position is mine and I need to confirm to him by Monday. He told me if I accept the job, I need to sign a contract. I was very excited that I got the job but I did not express this to him. So, I told him that I would call on Monday. I will accept the position and I can't wait!!!!

Listen guys and gals, I really want to apologize for lashing out. And please don't try to eat human waste, haha. I just want to thank everyone that helped me. Without your help and support, I don't think I had a shot. Thank you VDJ for a great program. Never a hic-up or pause all night. Everything was working silky smooth. The crowd had fun, the g.m. had fun and I had fun. That's what it's all about. When your djing next time, keep it rockin' and let all those people on the floor know you are the MAN or WOMAN!!!!

Syberman

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 6:28 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
glad you had a good night and glad it worked out for you...

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 9:36 pm
Thanks Tayla!!!!

Posted Sat 20 Sep 08 @ 10:25 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Glad it worked out for you Syberman....stress is a funny thing, everyone shows it in different ways... no worries everyone here understands I bet..Peace T

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 12:44 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Great news mate. Really pleased for you.

I knew you could do it :)

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 3:31 am
Glad you were able to make it through without having to play the real latin night you were stressing over and got to play predominantly rap, reggae and the house music you love...now karma is on your side!

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 6:44 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
TearEmUp wrote :
VDJ does not endorse, or allow any eating of feces on these forums...please refrain from the invitation, or the entee' in question....

Sorry for the offtopic, but this has to be one of the best ways to moderate the language
which was definitely uncalled for. I actually laughed out loud reading this one, good one TearEmUp.

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 8:10 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Great to hear u have it done nicely...and congrats on the contract part;)

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 8:16 am
Proud of ya dude.

Way to go.......

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 11:15 am
Great it worked out,

I started to go with only video at a Latin club, I was able to find a lot of Salsa, Merenque, Reggeaton music videos on ebay, The thing hottest thing nowadays at clubs is the mixing of not only music but music videos!

People love it. They get a kick out of it, Vitrual DJ is a great software and I love the sampler. It spices up the music, People ask me where I got the "remix" of a song I'm playing and I tell them that the "remix" is live.

I got most of my knowlage of salsa cumbia and merenque by going to clubs in Latin America, now i am not saying I go to Mexico, my parents are from Mexico but it is not Latin America to me.

If you need great salsa videos try ebay. I will try to post the seller here and you may get the videos from him.

At that club you got hired, try to ask the g.m. to intall LCDs all over the place and use VDJ to mix and play the videos, the guest will have a blast.

Que te valla muy bien en tus tonos!

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 2:50 pm
On playing music for Latin clubs is to know the music well, Salsa in Mexico is diffrent from Salsa in Venesuela, Cumbia from El Salvador is very difrent from Cumbia in Colombia and in Peru.

If you have Peruvian guest try EL Grupo 5, They are the hottest group nowadays had just finished a tour here in the U.S.
Guayacan and NG2 has great stuff, there is Salsa Brava, Salsa Dura, Salsa Pura, and so on. Listen to raidio stations, check the music pools and so on, Again as soon I get a chance I will post where to get all the music listings to you may get from Itunes and other sources. I is always good to have a note pad and pen hany to write down what guest want and use you internet connection to "obtain" that song. The best DJ is one that pleases thae crowd, Give them what they want and they will Love you for it.

The old merenques and salsa are great depening on the age group of your club, Latin house and salaton, reggeton and so on it all the new stuff that dies out fast. You my always PM me so share music list and ideas on playin a Latin Club or also known as a "Salsodromo"

Cheers from Lima, Peru

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 3:16 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Syberman... I'm very happy to hear the night went well for you! Sorry if I made one of the posts that came off negative to you. Like others have said, I was under the impression that you had no knowledge of Latin music. Just sharing my experiences with you. If I had known it was a Latin House thing, I would've known you'd be fine, being that you're a house DJ. Congrat's on the new job.

Posted Sun 21 Sep 08 @ 11:59 pm
Thanks guys for the support guys!!! I have a question, I am going to talk/sign a contract today. Is it in my best intrest to sign a contract? If so, what are the main points that should be on there? I can think of a few things such as time and how they will promote. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Syberman

Posted Mon 22 Sep 08 @ 5:10 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
A contract is a legal binding document. I would say to them this "Great!, Now, if you have no objections I am going to have my lawyer look this over. No offense intended here, just business. This should only take a day or two." Then bring it to a lawyer, he may hit you up for a c-note but it would be worth it too see what hidden clauses they might have in it. If they do object..I would give serious thought if you want to work there.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 08 @ 7:37 am
luis14538 wrote :
Great it worked out,

If you need great salsa videos try ebay. I will try to post the seller here and you may get the videos from him.

Que te valla muy bien en tus tonos!

Be careful on Ebay as 99.9999999999999% of the music video libraries on ebay and craigslist are illegal copies...sure thay are cheaper just as file sharing is on P2P music networks like limewire, but we don't condone that on this board.

Legit sources are Promo Only and Screenplay that both have latin music videos legally

Posted Mon 22 Sep 08 @ 12:24 pm
95%