Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Urgent help required!!!! - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

syberman wrote :
Thanks guys for the support guys!!! I have a question, I am going to talk/sign a contract today. Is it in my best intrest to sign a contract? If so, what are the main points that should be on there? I can think of a few things such as time and how they will promote. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Syberman

The big problems with contracts is that they are only as good as the money you have to hire a lawyer to sue if you need to (usually that means spending several thousand dollars more than you would ever recover). They are more of a "show of good faith" except in very rare instances.

That being said trow in everything including the kitchen sink. They will negotiate most of it out...but it will make them feel like they "won".

Days, Dates, Times, What you're expected to bring equipment and music wise, how you will promote, how they will promote, and most importantly if you are doing the promoting or working on any percent of the bar or door be sure to set guidelines as to the minimum sales they must drop below to fire you.

The business is ripe with owners who use a professional dj/promotor to get a crowd in and get the momentum going and then fire them and replace them with a significantly cheaper Dj as most owners basically think there isn't much difference between Djs and once he has your crowd he will think a $200 or $300 dollar a night (or even cheaper) Dj will be able to keep them because "this is where the crowd is". I fhe won't put in that clause then I would be VERY LEERY...also keep detailed records as to what the crowd size and the sales are each night as this is one area where you can sue for BIG damages if you have a successful night and are blown out just because.

Posted Mon 22 Sep 08 @ 12:33 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I agree with electric on everything. Specifically, getting a timeline, and expectations for that timeline. Try to get it in the contract that if the expectations are met, you're automatically renewed for another 6 months, and so on... I think most of us have been hired to build a night up, did what was asked only to be let go for the cheaper DJ after our contract expired. I'm a trusting type, and it took me awhile to get it through my head that I needed to protect my efforts that I put out to make clubs their money.

Posted Tue 23 Sep 08 @ 12:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)