Forum: General Discussion

Topic: YOUR OPINION ON NUMARK ICDX DECKS - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

My present system is:
Mixer - Denon DN-X900
Cd Players - Denon DN-S3500's
Controller - DAC-3
Laptop - Dell XPS 2010

I upgraded my mixer to the Korg Zero8 and I was going to switch out the CD player for the Numark ICDX's simply because they would be able to do both, play cd's and control VirtualDJ. When I went to purchase The Numark ICDX's at Guitar Center, they told me not to because every unit they've sold has come back with problems. They told me to Timecode the Denon DN-S3500's with VirtualDJ. I tried it and it worked pretty good but I'm used to all the features of the DAC-3.

My question is, are the Numark ICDX's really that bad?
All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 7:19 pm
X1LoVeRPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
In my opinion Pioneer CDJ Player Series are the best for timecode !
The iCDX is cool to handle all features in the software but the scratching with the wheel is terrible.
You must be pressed the wheel with it one can scratch. It is not touch sensitive like your denons.

btw. read this for more information http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/icdx.php

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 8:42 pm
But I didn't like the feel of the Denon's, I never timecoded before so I'm new at this. Are there certain tweeks I need to follow? The only thing I did was burn 2 cd's with the -14db timecode file and put them in the players. On the software side, I configured the software with the Korg Zero8 mixer then in the timecode screen I hit auto-config for both sides. Is there anything else I need to do to make the players more responsive?

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 9:01 pm
X1LoVeRPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
Whats your settings in "Performance" ?
Which Soundcard you are using? Is there any settings in the soundcard panel to change the latenzy ?

Try this:
set in "Performance" the preset slider to "fast",
Soundcard "Auto",
uncheck checkboxes "Safe Mode" and "Overclock",
Mastertempo "Fast",
Basic Interpolation !

In your Soundcard settings set the latenzy to 512, 256 or 128 if it is possible.

[edit]
ups, now i see it´s a soundcard integrated in your mixer. great stuff ;o)

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 11:37 pm
gang5taHome userMember since 2007
seriously i am too from guitar center just today and had a feel for all of them. the big pioneer mk3 was hooked up and played with it. felt good. felt easy to scratch.
icdx stand alone i've played with it before and it was a lil stiff coz u have to press it down to scratch. im sure it has a huge advantage over the rest of the players coz of numark's relationship with vdj. but its never hooked up at guitar center here. infact CUE is locked up in the box. the closest thing to vdj u can put your hands on is the icdx. only Serato u can mess with hooked up to techs 1200s. when i go there i ask the dude in the dj area what he thinks of vdj and he just talks shit. he wouldnt even try it. and he cant try it anyway coz all the production software like Reason and the others have the comps. he just calls vdj some push button shit. and i tell him its got all this time coded shit too and on top of it u can play videos but he doesnt want to hear it. he says likes serato coz he's a "vinyl dj".
i asked him what version vdj he's used but he really doesnt want to discuss vdj. he only pushes to sells serato and technics tables.

anyway i was there looking for a mixman dm2 controller coz i told him a lot of these cd decks have features i just dont wanna use and pay for coz everything i wanna do will be on my pc keyboard [shortcuts]. but they dont carry the dm2 controller. he went online to look at it and recommended hercules but i told him the herc is too expensive i might as well just go with the real shit.

but back to the icdx this time around it felt way better than the first time i played with it. its just a matter of playing with it. u can hook it up to the pc via usb and it'd plug and play straight to vdj. and u can use just one using some key to swap the decks (but that i think can be done to every controller).
anyway for the price it comes with i think the denons are a better option coz the denons are visually captivating. and look more serious. and u see ppl do all sorts of things with the denons on youtube.
another thing that holds icdx back is there's no one on youtube using them. the guys on youtube are all lousy.

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 12:09 am

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 12:45 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sorry I havent posted a vid... I've got the icdx units and to be honest I'm quite happy with them. There was a period when I thought I made a mistake in buying them, but after playing with it and getting used to the platter its all sorted.

I'm not the greatest scratch dj on the planet but I can pull off the basic scratches using the icdx units like I could on the xp10's... I've got the most viewed xp10 scratch vid on youtube, just do a search if your interested. If your looking for serious scratching then TCV is the best option.

1 prob I had was my cue/play buttons were playing up for a while and not working and I was tempted to take them back... It just needed wearing in I guess because everything is working sweet.

When denon releases their anticipated midi/cd deck I'll rethink my choice because I've always wanted a spinning platter. Otherwise the ICDX units are fine.

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 3:36 am
ICDX =====> BOO

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 8:05 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004

From our own Socross ;)

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 1:26 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I own two iCDXs..have had one for almost a year now. I like them, once the platter is broken in they are much easier to scratch with. If you didn't like the feel of the Pioneers you might be happier with the iCDX. Not only that you need no TCCDs or special timecard to make them work, they are plug and play. Personally I would recommend them to anyone looking for new equipment. Another added feature is their ability to play from multiple formats, I.E. CDs, MP3, ext Hard Drives, PC HID. So (God forbid) if you PC crashes all you need to do is pres one button on the player and your back up and running with CDs.

Posted Thu 25 Oct 07 @ 3:13 pm
ALI11CUE userMember since 2006
How do you use two icdx decks with numark cue? i was watching some demo videos and all i see is one deck being used. I'm thinking of getting a pair and i would like to know how do you hook up both of them to my mixer and the cue program?

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 2:16 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My opinion on Numark iCDX decks?

They are probably the best CD deck in their price range.
They support DVD's which CDJ-400's don't.
However the design (which is entirely down to personal choice) is something which I feel has a lot to be desired.

Overall the CDJ-400 is a far better machine (looks and feels better, much better effects) and not a great deal more expensive, but the iCDX holds its own against anything priced up to its tag.

This isn't defeatist though, as the CDJ-400's will hopefully have native compatibility with VDJ.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 7:24 am
grugPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've had two ICDX's for a few months now. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the problem with the video window popping up occasionally when you touch a platter and resetting some of the sound settings. Its been a known issue for too long for my liking considering how much they cost me (about 1600 US dollars at the time for two decks, and that was a cheap price in Australia also).

Other than the bug (which happens at least once in every gig) the decks have a great "wow" factor. The controls do take alittle getting used to but Im happy with all the buttons. I would prefer the pitch as a knob not a slider though it sometimes can take awhile to adjust a .1 beat. The effects slider feels alittle bit flimsy also.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 7:47 am

The video pop up will be fixed, if it wasnt already in last release? its on the list

A temporary fix, is to disable video, at VDJ video settings

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 7:53 am
ALI11CUE userMember since 2006
How do you hook both ICDX decks up too numark cue?

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 9:23 am

two USB ports....
You can use two units.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 10:00 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I have two a iCDX set up, and LOVE IT. No need for time codes or asio sound cards or signal problems. Admittedly I am not a scratcher so I cannot comment on that aspect of their performance. I use mine in tandem with a DXM01usb mixer from Numark, works great. There are pictures of it in my blog. I have had it for almost a year now and have absolutely no complaints.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 10:18 am
My DXM01usb works great under XP but for some reason under VISTA it doesnt configure properly and one side is much louder than the other. Also VDJ doesnt pick it up as a DXM01usb under vista, just USB soundcard 1 and 2. I prefer to use Vista for video clips so my DXM01usb has been shelved for the last 2 months now.

Anyway back to the icdx... if the video fix is due out soon I'd say go get them because they are good controllers and look great. Get yourself a laptop stand also so that you can have it over the icdx's &mixer. Makes it all quicker and easier to use.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 07 @ 7:49 pm
The ICDX sucks. The pioneer cdj 1000mk3 is the best around and nothing cant compare. I know its expensive to buy but i bought a pair and its worth every penny. They have an expression called, you pay for what you get. People buy cheap equipment and then try to compare it with something they cant afford. Something i learned a long time ago and that is to only buy once. When you buy inexpensive things, you end up paying more in the long run. Ive seen the denon 3500s, the denon 5000s, the stantons, and numarks... None of them compare to the CDJs..

Posted Sat 29 Dec 07 @ 9:31 pm
Caliente123 wrote :
Ive seen the denon 3500s, the denon 5000s, the stantons, and numarks... None of them compare to the CDJs..

How long did you "see" them for? How much time did you spend using the ICDX? The ICDX's are hardly cheap compared to some others.

There opposite expression to "you pay for what you get" is "A fool and their money are soon parted". I'm not saying the 1000mk3 are not worth their price because of course they are but the main topic of this forum was opinion on icdx's and for anyone to say they "suck" but not to state exactly why is not well informed.

Posted Sun 30 Dec 07 @ 5:57 am
74%