Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: YOUR OPINION ON NUMARK ICDX DECKS - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Caliente123 wrote :
The ICDX sucks. The pioneer cdj 1000mk3 is the best around and nothing cant compare. I know its expensive to buy but i bought a pair and its worth every penny. They have an expression called, you pay for what you get. People buy cheap equipment and then try to compare it with something they cant afford. Something i learned a long time ago and that is to only buy once. When you buy inexpensive things, you end up paying more in the long run. Ive seen the denon 3500s, the denon 5000s, the stantons, and numarks... None of them compare to the CDJs..

True.....but the iCDX is not just a stand alone player...unlike the pioneer unit it is a multi function device.....making a comparison of the two is mixing apples and oranges......please stop making sweeping statements and add useful information to the thread

Posted Sun 30 Dec 07 @ 8:38 pm
I've had a set of iCDX's since this past february. They are tucked away nicely in my coffin case to my every gig so they don't much abuse. From Feb to May I didn't have any gigs really, a party here and there but nothing weekly. In June i started picking up weekly gigs until now.

Unfortunately I cannot side with the iCDX's being a reliable or quality piece of equipment. I have been one of the unfortunately ones to experience a number of random glitches utilizing them as MIDI controllers (Video window popping up, random prompts that stop music, having to restart vdj to get it working again). One of my iCDX's doesn't come alive upon first power up, (i have to cycle the power 1 time for it to boot up), the other iCDX has issues with the responsiveness of the play button (i've confirmed it's the actual unit because it's the same with CDs or any other media as well as MIDI)

Because i don't have any other equipment to DJ with, I am unable to send them back to Numark to get them replaced. Plus I think numark did away with their warranty program cuz i can't find any information on the website anymore.

I am now just saving up to see what else I can get my hands on. The Pioneer CDJ-400's look pretty promising, and the new Denon HS5500. But I haven't thrown the idea of just running timecodes on a Denon S5000 or Pioneer CDJ1000 and get away from midi control altogether until they can get the technology down a bit tighter.

Something tells me that even with a active spinning platter, the performance of the hs5500 may not be up to par with timecodes on a S3500 or 5000.

Please prove me wrong Denon!!!

Seems like with so much focus on running timecoded CDs and Vinyl, the industry seems to cater more to the "Veteran Old School DJ's" who's current voice reigns TCV & TCCD.

Posted Mon 31 Dec 07 @ 12:57 pm
here is what i know about the ICDX. it doesnt use time codes and it has a usb and can be mapped. The fact that it doesnt need time codes is ok and it using usb direct is good too. Using alot of usbs from your laptop is bad bacause it can freeze up on you. With single CD players all you do is connect it to the Audio interface and its only one USB being used up from the interface to the laptop.When it comes to Dj ying, its about using something relaible. I would be embarrased to have something freeze up on me when everyone is dancing. me persoonally, i dont trust numark because of what ive seen and expereinced. Using time codes on a single cd player like the pioneer cdjs is 100 percent reliable all the time and very rare for it to fail. This is my opinion and my experience. If you like Numark, then buy it. I am not stopping anyone from buying. I am telling you what works better.

Posted Mon 31 Dec 07 @ 5:50 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I use TWO iCDX and a Numark DXM01usb mixer (two sound cards actually) all from one lappy and at the same time an EXT hard Drive. That is five different usb items running from my lappy. I have done so for over a year now for up to seven hours at a time and NOT ONCE has VDJ/DXM01/iCDX crashed/failed/froze on me at a job. You should really investigate further before posting in threads when people are asking for help. I have been DJing for over 20 years with Numark gear and never been let down. Maybe its just me but, 20 years of good service is pretty reliable.

I have read many places where time code signals can fail. Or, people having issues with latency . With the iCDX that is removed from the equation. No Time Code, no mapping, and for me no failure. Here is another piece of information. You only need one to do the job!!! If you press the eject button while in Human Interface Device Mode it switches from the active "player" on the skin to non-active player. Eliminating the need for two decks if one so desires. It also allows the use of DVD, with video output, playing and use of a thumb drive for playing music, as well as a stand alone CD player.

Posted Mon 31 Dec 07 @ 6:00 pm
my previous post was not meant to bash on the iCDX's, i think they are extremely innovative, being the pioneers of a usb tabletop player, that's a strong point, but from what i can see with the most current numark gear that's been coming out lately compared to some of the older numark products, the most current stuff has taken a dip in build quality,

for whatever reasons may be, to increase profits for the company is usually a primary motive for this...

i do feel it's important for numark to be aware of the feedback, negative and positive from their consumers for improvements in their future developments

from what i understand there is a fair amount of numark prescence on this forum so hopefully they'll read this =)

Posted Tue 01 Jan 08 @ 3:18 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
dj-in-norway wrote :

The video pop up will be fixed, if it wasnt already in last release? its on the list

A temporary fix, is to disable video, at VDJ video settings

Disabling the video doesnt actually fix the prob... I thought it would but the window still pops up lol. Anyhow its not an issue if your doing video already. Only for those mixing audio.

Unfortunately I have had probs/bugs with the icdx units as well... its just one bug thats got me at the moment but I'm sure the prob will be sorted soon. It only happens randomly probably once in every 3-4 gigs. Decks become reversed and the current song playing stops.

As far as build quality goes....its fine. The CDJ-400 is not going to get any better, its made mostly of plastic. I truly believe once pioneer bring out a cdj-1000 mk3 with midi we will be away laughing.

Scratching on the icdx is just as good as the cdj-400. Its obviously for people who just want to do basic scratches...

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 3:15 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The centre of the platter is better for cue/seek than it is for scratching, and that's the more practical purpose of the CDJ's design imo, as most CDJ-800/1000 owners don't scratch, it's more about vinyl "feel" than scratch emulation for most.

The 400's are mostly made of plastic, but look at the surface controls, they are of a much better quality and design than those on the iCDX.

I know the 1000's will be adding USB/Midi support fairly soon, and sure a lot of people will be laughing, but it still leaves an aweful lot of people outside of that price range.

Posted Wed 02 Jan 08 @ 6:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)