Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: *** TO THOSE WHO HEAR NOISES/POPS/CRACKLES/UNDERBUFFERING *** - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Can I make a silly suggestion for you to try Brian?

I take it you have followed the original steps to optimise your system for VDJ ? If so, try those, but also try this:-

1) Right click "my computer" and select "properties".
2) Select the "advanced" tab and click the "settings" button. under "performance"
3) Select the "advanced" tab
4) Where it says "memory usage" click the "system cache" button, then do the "OK's" until all windows have closed.
5) Restart windows and try again.

I think the fact that you mention it doesn't do it when you use a skin with no video is VERY important here and may be a major clue.

Also, humour me and download easycleaner, you can get it here :-

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Install it and run a "registry" clean, when it's found all entries, select "delete all"

Now run an "unnecessary files" scan and when it's finished, again "delete all"

Don't worry, I have NEVER known Easycleaner break a system.

After doing the above, empty recycle bin and do a defrag.

Try VirtualDJ again.

If you still have the problem then let me know.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 2:58 am

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 3:10 am
Alrighty guys I have a gig in a half hour so I am not going to try any of this tonight. I may take this computer home and try your suggestions tomorrow. I will let you know after done. Thanks for all your efforts and suggestions. I will be in touch

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 3:26 am
Tophouse I have tried the first suggestion changing to Cache. It still crackles and pops no matter the setting. I have to mention it is crackling if I turn down the EQ's and leave one up just enough to hear. It still however works fine in a different skin without Video. I am currently downloading the cleaner you mention. Be back in a few. Brian

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 3:43 am
Did all mentionrd above and still crackles. Here is what is sharing IRQ 16
Intel(R) 945 G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port -2771
Radeon X600 Series
Intel(R) 82801G (1Ch7 family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0

Nothing else is sharing.
I have tried defrag

Next step I will try is un-installing VDJ and the MK2 and re-installing.

I also will try a Powered USB Port (With wall wart). I think it has something to do with the MK2 not having enough power???????????

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 4:11 am
Make sure the powered USB hub is USB 2.0 as there are still some USB 1.0 hubs about. Once you have the powered hub in use, if you still get the "snap, crackle & pop" let us know as I have a couple of other things to try.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:28 pm
Ok UPDATE. Added Powered USB hub and no matter what the settings the crackling and pops are gone on all the skins except VMIX4. Now the tweaking begins as I want to find out why I still get the pops and crackles on the VMIX4 skin only. I can definately use this beast at a gig finially. What other things were you gonna try and help me do Tophouse???

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 12:04 am
Well, next it was going to be :-

1) Make sure you have the latest motherboard bios installed.

2) try a reinstall of your chipset drivers (latest version again)

3) Remove your graphics card driver and reinstall (again, latest version)

4) Try removing all USB drivers and letting XP reinstall them for you, instructs here :-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

5) reinstall directX

6) I'm also not happy with USB keyboard and mouse, does your motherboard have ps2 inputs for these and you are simply using USB by choice? If so, to avoid the expense of buying a new keyboard/mouse, either borrow a ps2 keyboard & mouse or use a couple of these :-

http://cavuk.com/product.php?productid=128

You could then probably do away with the USB hub.

If after all the above you are still getting the rice crispies, that's me about stumped.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 2:13 am
discobrian24 wrote :
Ok UPDATE. Added Powered USB hub and no matter what the settings the crackling and pops are gone on all the skins except VMIX4.

Seems like all problems are gone, except ONE skin...

sounds weird, but it does have huge video previews, so might need a bit of system tweaks, as suggested by tophouse

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 2:16 am
I can't do away with the USB keyboard or mouse as the computer has only USB no PS2. I also don't know if it will help you knowing that this is a Media Center XP. Can I actually delete Media Center from the system and if so will that help. I mean the actual program not the OS. This computer is a Dell and I have no restore discs or OS disc. Like I mentioned before VDJ is now working without flaw except on VMIX3 And 4. If I remove USB drivers can I get them back or will it convert it to a 1.1???

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 3:48 am
It 'should' just reinstall them, but I'd prefer to have an OS disk handy to be sure, is the OS not even stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive?

I know 'very little' about media center.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 3:52 am
There is no hidden partition. I could however get software and ghost the drive to my other drive, OR I can install Windows XP Professional on my other drive and dual boot.

I think I am gonna roll with it the way it is, I am wondering if I should re-install VDJ 4?? I don't know if it will make a difference or not.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 4:07 am
discobrian24 wrote :
There is no hidden partition. I could however get software and ghost the drive to my other drive, OR I can install Windows XP Professional on my other drive and dual boot.

I think I am gonna roll with it the way it is, I am wondering if I should re-install VDJ 4?? I don't know if it will make a difference or not.

If this is a desktop system, changing the IRQ's from memory only changes them for "Windows" little world, not in real terms. Checking the bios, you may well still find they are on the same IRQ, even with the powered hub!

If your soundcard is PCI, try changing slots. if it isn't try moving anything you can move, it may force the bios to assign the USB a new IRQ, or make it share with something that isn't going to make breakfast sounds in the middle of your mix. Moreso if you want to mix, any Latency over 1024ms is proberly too much.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 9:59 am
Ok so how do you check them in Bios?? I don't see anything in the Bios that tells me IRQ numbers.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 12:32 am
Ok I think my best move is a fresh install of XP Pro. Re-install VDJ and all that crap. OR I can try the Shell Mode option that another user has suggested. Like I said before I now works fine with other skins except the VMIX skins. I will look more into it at a later date after the weekend.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 12:55 am

Not sure if its worth it.
Might just be the ATI X600 card...
That has a hard time with the big previews in the VMIX skin....
The X600 might just be not good enough for that skin (I have X700, and no problems by the way)

You CAN try to upgrade the drivers for the X600, and tweak the settings inside the ATI pannel.

But sure, if you have time, a reinstall of Windows will make your computere back to clean, and everything will run faster, and less mess... So might just be the little extra the X600 needs.

Or I might be wrong too, the X600 might be good enough... never tested it.

But maybe you can start a new thread called ATI X600 and VDJ, and ask if someone has the same card, and can confirm if the card works with that skin or not......

But again, trying a clean install of Windows can be a good thing to do every now and then, regardless :)

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 1:22 am
You won't see what IRQ's are assigned in bios as it's windows that assigns Irqs, ie, they are assigned in software not hardware, UNLESS, you manually assign them in bios, set assignments away from auto and do it that way, BUT I wouldn't, XP generally does a good job of assigning resources.

Did you reinstall/update the bios/drivers I advised?

If you're happy with performance at the mo and can do without that particular skin then why still fight it?

However i do agree with norway regarding a fresh install.

Keep us informed about this one though Brian as I really want to know the outcome. Did you try the hercules external PSU?

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 3:22 am
I dont have a power supply for the Hercules. As far as Bios update, It looks as if it is the most current as this computer is less than 1 month old. I will start another thread about the X600 card and VDJ like advised. I run that skin on a much lesser AGP card on another system so I am gonna see if I have the same problems on my other gig machine tonight when I get home and see what the outcome is. Thanks to all that have helped and I will continue to try things with the video card settings. I have updated the drivers for the card and direct X as I was having problems originally with the Video flip effect so I know the Direct X drivers are current.

What I don't understand is the fact that the video itself runs flawless, but the audio has crackles and pops. How would that be effected by the video card???

It also makes me want to re-install the onboard sound and try without the Hercules and see if I still get the pops and crackles with that skin, I will report back.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 5:04 am
Dang it, I just realised that I have the crackles and pops on all skins while scratching even in 3.4. I am now getting unhappy. And am going to try some of the suggestions again. You may be right it could be the video card. I am at a loss. This is a new machine and is having nothing but problems.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 7:57 am

Only when scratching videos?

that needs fast ram, and dedicated ram on video card.

Check if they where cheap, and stuffed a light version of the x600 inside your PC, with shared ram (using the system ram). If so, you can probably get dedicated ram, and put it on your card.

And saw you posted a new thread about x600. Would be cool to see if anyone else has that card with similar problems or not.

Would at least be confirmation, or elimination, if the card was the issue here or not

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 8:07 am
37%