Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: *** TO THOSE WHO HEAR NOISES/POPS/CRACKLES/UNDERBUFFERING *** - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've noticed this problem, and I've opened a topic in the bugs forum. The solution is:
  • Open the "Performances" page in the congiguration window
  • Disable the "Safe Mode" (important!)
  • Enable the "Overclock" checkbox, expecially if you've got a laptop
  • Adjust for the optimal latency, or use "Auto" if you get in panic

Check the dedicated "Performance settings" topic in this forum for more info.

Here's my configuration with a Mk2 and no scratching issues (I don't scratch while mixing):

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 2:06 pm
Nice suggestions, but I think you should add that not everyone will be able to use Best Quality, it's very much cpu and soundcard specific. If I enable keylock I can only use the second of the four settings without artifacting regardless of Safe Mode being on or off. By default, key lock is turned off which may lead people to use settings which are too high for their computer. A good way to test this is to enable key lock and use the video skin with the cpu indicator whilst going through each performance setting.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 4:10 pm
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Just look at the "Sound Card" frame, the rest is a personal configuration. It's just an example, you should look at the listed instructions, THEN to the image!

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 1:31 pm
Ok I have a problem. I have the crackles and pops with my MK2 I have tried all the settings recommended with no solution. The funny thing is if I change my skin to any one without the preview for video the crackles and pops disappear no matter what the setting. This is a powerful system Pentuim D 2.66, 2 gig Ram, ATI X600 pro video card. Once again I have tried the workarounds is there anything else I should try??? Brian

Ok it only seems to do this with VOB files, Mp3 seems ok no matter which skin even with Sonique enabled!!

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:10 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Are you using your soundcard in asio mode?

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 9:01 am
I would suspect your video card and sound card (Or usb port if you use USB sound) or sharing a resource.

Oh and be careful with "Overclock" It chews up an extra 30% cpu usage, at least it does on this system (3.06GHZ) and seems to make the video um, unsmooth!

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 9:07 am
No I am not using ASIO mode, but I will look into the hardware sharing.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 8:37 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
TexZK, a couple of questions:

- what are your system's specs?

- are you using the MK2 in ASIO mode? if so, what are the ASIO settings you are using in the MK2 config panel?

- are you using the MK2 with an external mixer or standalone? if standalone, are you getting pops and crackles in the headphones or when you tweak the EQs?

Thanks.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 11:18 pm
Ok I looked into the hardware sharing and my video card is 16 and my USB's are 16 and a few more. How do I go about finding the one USB that isn't 16???

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 12:06 am
Wicked, Thanks for that mate.. problem goooonnneeee :) That CPU monitor is cool.

Happy mixing guys.

Sean

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 3:51 am
discobrian24 wrote :
Ok I looked into the hardware sharing and my video card is 16 and my USB's are 16 and a few more. How do I go about finding the one USB that isn't 16???

I think you'll find that all your usb ports share that one IRQ of 16. Try control panel, and see in properties if either your video card, or your USB will let you change the IRQ. if they wont try checking in your bios if you can chage the IRQs in there for video or USB. You may even find that your video card has a bios setting (Sometimes showen at first turn on) to chang it's IRQ there. Some cards will run quite fine with the IRQ disabled in the system bios.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 11:31 am
Ok there is no sharing of IRQ and still pops and crackles only with a skin that shows preview. What next????

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:45 am
Try AUTO setting for latency, and check safe mode (although not on hercules).
That will run 4.0 very similar to 3.4 in direct sound.

THE AUTO SETTING FOR LATENCY - the solution for many cards !
(thanx to Apopsis)

IMPORTANT:
the "auto" option does not automatically find the best setting for you, or other "magic" things..

*What it does is:*

1. in Asio mode it bypsass the vdj buffer/latency box and latency settings taken directly from the cards asio panel like in 3.4 (this works better for maya44usb & u46dj, and probably more)
In this case you need to set/confirm the cards latency in the cards own control pannel.

2. In directX modes it has fixed values: 512 (11ms) without safe mode checked and 1024 (23ms) with safe mode.

**Previous vdj versions had fixed latency at 512 (11ms) and safe mode checked.**

Use these informations to tune your system like in vdj 3.4 if you wish.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:53 am
discobrian24 wrote :
Ok there is no sharing of IRQ and still pops and crackles only with a skin that shows preview. What next????

Stop eating Rice crispies while mixing! works for me! :-O

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:55 am
discobrian24 wrote :

I will bet that this is the part of or the full reason...

The hercules is very sensitive for usb-dropouts and needs full dataflow without interrupts.

Your graphic card sharing IRQ with the Hercules USB soundcard is accident waiting to happen with video mixing, even straight forward audio mixing.

But you can try the settings I posted too:

Hercules >> LATENCY 1024 at least, safe mode OFF for hercules (try ON for other cards), master tempo FAST.
Sorry mate, it aint VDJ, but the slow Herc drivers. But this way you at least get the safer "3.4 mode" of working, but with slightly worse sound (3.4 sound, was ok for most users anyway, its not like its bad)

Hope that helps a bit

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:03 am
I knew it was those Rice Crispies, But seriously Norway there is no IRQ conflicts or sharing after I changed things around a little. I am thinking of buying the U46DJ sound card. I disabled and uninstalled the onboard.

I will also try safe mode checked. This isnt something that is making me mad, but it is confusing me. I will try the rest of your settings and post back.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:45 am
Sorry, its a bit comfusing for me too ;)

But safe mode OFF for hecules.
Lower settings like that posted in beginning of thread, even more to 1024 asio buffer.
Works great for me, have MK2 too.

If out of luck, try auto, and adjust the latency in Hercules control pannel instead (if asio)

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:49 am
Should I try ASIO mode instead??? It is currently in WDM

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 1:50 am
oh ..damn.. I thought you WHERE trying ASIO..
Thats where the MK2 has the most problems, and needs high latency

Are you having problems in WDM???! really?
Total trouble free by me... Weird.
You should have NO trouble in WDM mode, if you set latency at about 512, and lower the perforance slider to about the middle

AND UNCHECK SAFE MODE! (for some reason makes Hercules work bad at my pc). Also, try turing on and off overclock, see if it makes a difference.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 2:20 am
Have tried all you have suggested and still can't get rid of the crackles and pops. They do however get less and less the higher the latency number. They also completely go away with a skin WITHOUT video preview. Should I try a powered USB hub??? The other thing is that my keyboard and mouse are USB and there is no other way to plug them in. I am at a loss... 3.4 works perfectly fine for me. I have thought about getting a different soundcard and just using the MK2 as a midi device.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 2:36 am
19%