Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Why should people have to pay for something which was meant to be implemented in a free update? Doesn't make any sense, and would it not be easier to keep it as 1 software so you don't have to keep 2 separate databases of your files, rescan files in the timeline software and more than likely mess with cue points that are already set in the first software?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 4:29 pm
bagpuss wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
CAN YOU CUT OUT SKITS FROM VIDEOS

I don't know many serious music video providers who include skits in their videos?

well there are....

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 4:55 pm
aubs123PRO InfinityMember since 2006
cauthers, I understand where coming from and while you feel a bit cheated,

all im saying is I use vdj for live, and mixmeister studio for mix cds ,but that's now so outdated I would pay for something more updated because I can't be bothered with their beta program which if your following it, it sucks and im still not convinced that anything decent will come of it, and because I got burnt with that one I would love something from vdj

hope you understand

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 4:57 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Scrinson wrote :
Can't you get it to work? Just look at the way mixmeister does it. It works fine for them!

As pointed out, VDJ is a live DJ software. I know some people use Mixmeister live but, it was not designed for that. Timeline was a cool concept but, if I wanted that type of operation, I would use Mixmeister.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 6:21 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
As pointed out, VDJ is a live DJ software.

Ableton Live is designed for live use too (hence the name) and many DJs use it for the Timeline-esque capabilities.

It would have been a one-up feature to have in VDJ.

Traktor doesn't have it. Serato software doesn't have it. The two big players that VDJ is up against, and it could've been a feature which would've set VDJ apart.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:01 pm
The users of both the programs you mentioned look down on VDJ. I doubt there is a coincidence there.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:02 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
The users of both the programs you mentioned look down on VDJ.

Does that justify taking away a feature which (presumably) had many man hours spent on it, was demonstrated at numerous shows & exhibitions and which many users were looking forward to using? Should we care what Trakerato users think?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:07 pm
The Dev Team made the decision. You are free to remind them you like it but, for now, it's been shelved. That choice was made by the powers that be for a reason.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:11 pm
Well we've got four pages of people asking for it back so far, in just a couple of days - and that's only the forum regulars after trying a pre-release.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:20 pm
Why are you debating me? I have the same amount of input you do. You might want to let the issue lay still for a while. I know, when my kids nag me too much, the more they nag, the more I dig in my heals. They have learned to step back. Allow me time to think and consider. That might be a better strategy than trying to get a moderator into a debate with you.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:33 pm
gkon116PRO InfinityMember since 2006
sleeperawaken wrote :
I have three minds about this.
1) I never saw the timeline feature as a live mixing feature, but as a production tool kit built into my dj software.... would have been cool to have that to mess with in the studio, not as useful live.
2) That said, I was wondering how much bloat it might add.... and the dev team probably made the right decision.

However, they made a huge marketing blunder.... almost fraud. Don't get me wrong... I'm just fine without the timeline and I like what's here in version 8... but I'm surprised at your marketing team decisions. If you were dropping timeline after promoting it so much... you should have announced it. Oh... but the whole secrecy thing? Where was the secrecy when you promoted the new timeline feature? If it did well for promotion... didn't you think people might want to know it was dropped and why?

Imagine your daughter is having a wedding. You hire one of us and during the sales pitch we give we talk about some really cool lighting thing we are going to do with the room. It sounds fantastic! On the day of the wedding you show up to the reception hall to check out this lighting thing we talked about.... and we didn't do it. We had everything else going and a few extra odds and ends... but this really big cool new lighting is no where to be found. When you ask, we tell you it turned out to not really be practical and would not work for the room. How do you feel about that?

It well may be that we as professionals made the right decision about lighting for your daughter's reception.... but maybe we should have mentioned that to you before the day of the reception... since we hyped it up so much during the sales pitch.... don't ya think?

Again... liking v8 but I think it was a very poor marketing decision not to mention dropping the timeline feature before release....

I understand your frustration and respect your opinion but your analogy is somewhat off. Maybe it's me, but I don't think I would promise a bride something I wasn't able to do or provide when she booked me. Same if I'm booking a DJ for my daughter, I would make sure the DJ can provide what he is promising me; I certainly hope he wouldn't sell me something he couldn't provide.

With that being said, I understand everyone's frustration at it not being there; perhaps they add it a later date.

I was looking forward to it so I can perhaps try some re-mixing, editing, & producing, something I've always wanted to do but haven't been able to try.

Nick

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:44 pm

TearEmUp wrote :
Why are you debating me?

Debating you? I just stated a fact. There are four pages of comments. That's not debating you.

I'm basically saying let's see how it goes.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:45 pm
Hey guys! its cool..O.K? go drink some of ur favorite bevarage imao..

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:46 pm
And, I'm basically saying the Dev Team decided not to. You mention four pages of posts. At 20 per page, a total of 80, you posted a total of twelve times. That is easily 13-14% of the posts you refer to. I agree with Tracker, it might be time to take a step away from this issue for now. Calm down. It's only a software. No one is going to die without timeline.....

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:52 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Guys,

Questions that have been raised about timeline are feature based or are they? Almost anything we showed off with timeline is still possible through the video editor, sample editor, track cleaner, bpm editor or automix editor.

What is it that you wanted timeline to do that v8 can't do for you?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:59 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Homeboy...what are the chances of adding a snap to beat or measure in track cleaner?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:02 pm
NAWTBOY wrote :
Homeboy...what are the chances of adding a snap to beat or measure in track cleaner?

Whats up man! Long time! Um well we are currently testing for bugs and other issues. Feature requests will be reviewed but I am sure that will be at a later date.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:05 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Personally, if timeline isn't an option, I would have liked to have seen more editing features made available in the track cleaner and video editor. The ability to copy/cut/paste bits to rearrange tracks for example, with the option to automatically snap to beats/half beats when selecting areas. On the video editor, I was hoping to be able to use it to replace the audio on music vids with ropey original audio, but as far as I can see you can't do that and tweak it to sync up. Still, early days yet, and very promising so far... :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:12 pm
djsherz wrote :
Personally, if timeline isn't an option, I would have liked to have seen more editing features made available in the track cleaner and video editor. The ability to copy/cut/paste bits to rearrange tracks for example, with the option to automatically snap to beats/half beats when selecting areas. On the video editor, I was hoping to be able to use it to replace the audio on music vids with ropey original audio, but as far as I can see you can't do that and tweak it to sync up. Still, early days yet, and very promising so far... :)

Yep agreed and VirtualDJ is ALWAYS in development.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:18 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I actually pictured using this feature for existing music videos with Dance breaks or interruptions, in the middle. Currently I edit my videos in other software, but it would be nice no to edit and recompile it. Or waste the drive space on two copies, the edit and original.

Currently I pay big bucks for video editing software. Plus now I have quality loss from cutting and exporting in .MP4 for the second time. I am sure the powers that be don't see it. But this a a real world need for VJ's.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:22 pm
73%