Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 6

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I, was a MIxmeister fan before it was incompatible with current Mac OSX. I would often use it for my promo CDs and also to put together sets for my radio show on local community stations.

After watching concept videos and reading up on the VDJ8 'Timeline' I actually got quite excited thinking yep, this is well worth the wait.

will this be available as an add-on since the hard work has already been put into it?

I would pay extra on top of my license if I had too.

+1 on add-on idea.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 3:31 am
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Advokut wrote :
back to topic:

i understand that timeline is now devided into several editors.

i was really really looking forward to the timeline for creating edits.

i get that we can expand and cut tracks, but is there ANY way to edit bits and pieces from another file to the beginning and end of a track?

no automix edit, no POI edit, no track cleaner... i want to ADD, is there a anyway?!

i was sooo happy to see we could edit things AND add things in the timeline previews.

i would totally love to add my video intro and small videopieces for scratching to the beginning and end of my videotracks. no live mix, only prepare to avoid loading next small clip

am i right in thinking that this is sadly the only timeline function that did not make it into a editor reincarnation? :(

i wanted to create mixshow edits containing several different videos in one track for each deck

i don't want to keep using vegas or even movie maker, so adding onto tracks was really a part of the timeline feature i was so eager for.

any thoughts or tips to guide me in the right direction, or is there even the slightest chance to add a "track editor" that gives the option to create tracks from different small videos, or add to the start and end of tracks clips from another track??

any thoughts on this? been scanning through the manual and checked the editors, but i cant seem to find a option for this :(

is there a chance to add a new editor or maybe even to the track cleaner, to add small video clips up to lets say 32 bars for a instance? or lets give the option to save a automix edit as a complete file?

i think this would totally serve the purpose to create edits that contain my intros and animated scratch videos. hope someone understands xD

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 6:30 pm
WHERE IS THE TIMELINE! This is a bunch of Bulsh!t . What #$#%^& behind the scene determines what a REAL dj wants? Most likely it's not even a REAL DJ. Well it looks like i been waiting 2 1/2 years for NOTHING! Way to go developers! Now who has the OLD beta with the timeline in it so I can purchase it?

EDITED FOR LANGUAGE BY AMAHM

Posted Sun 08 Jun 14 @ 6:08 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Guys, timeline is totally possible, use your heads, action POI's = timeline, you could script every millisecond, it's not my cup o tea, but I might use it for re-edits/ mashup making. (And occasionally adding sneaky loops just to mess with my mates and their beloved psytrance mixes)

It may take a while for people to realise just how big a deal action POI's are.

Look at this,

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/189478/General_Discussion/Timeline_is_possible.html

Further note I'm glad it was dropped as a easy GUI feature, If you can workout the script then there's a chance you won't be using it to make humdrum generic monkey garbage.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 14 @ 7:13 pm
What a shame. While I've been using Pro for a few years now, the only real thing I was waiting from VDJ8 was the timeline feature. That was one of the main additional selling feature that got me exited. I could envision making the most perfect mix tapes for 2 scenarios. 1- Just creating the most perfect mix tape with no live errors on it. This is what I would use as my "business card" Online and on actual CD to give out to people. 2- Now that I can see on the timeline how the mix looks with all the in, out and loop points, ect visible, I would use this as the main guideline to practice my set in order to perform it live. Basically memorize the entire sequence of looping in and out and other movements/effects that make the "mix tape" a mixtape and then repeat the entire memorized sequence live. I can't express how much scenario 2 would help (at least me)

The only way to record a set I've found using VDj is to actually play the entire set live, rather than being able to arrange it in a linear timeline with all the effects, ins, outs and loops that make for a much better recording without any "mistakes" - "imperfections". Its not to say that I'm not use to it or that it makes my life impossible, I'm just remarking that the Timeline feature has so much more potential than what I believe the creators and VDJ community seem to understand. Had it been kept and not removed, you were giving us the power to arrange our future rather than create it on the spot with more tension of the next track to come. I would never just press play and leave the timeline playing on its own, for then this enters into the whole " Sync button, Press play Dj's" who just fake it through the set" type debate. I would always play it live and mix on the spot, but at least when it comes to practicing, it would really be the perfect way to envision what you want to do in terms of creating the set. (I'd pay for this feature...but then again, it should have just stayed included"

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 9:18 pm
Look I've said timeline is possible, just press Alt+F4+Enter. Hang on, DON'T, just read the thread I posted.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 14 @ 10:59 pm
looking at the concept of track preperation and automixing, this may work

but the timeline concept did offer so much more, that is not possible with all those editors.

how about creating custom edits that contain bits and pieces by other tracks? what about mixing more than 2 decks/ mastermixing? or recording fader and platter movement?

I honestly feel that timeline could have added a lot of possibilities, things i now need to use other programs out there for, which only adds wheight on my system and my wallet

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 11:41 am
jakovskiPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
Advokut wrote :
how about creating custom edits that contain bits and pieces by other tracks? what about mixing more than 2 decks/ mastermixing? or recording fader and platter movement?

Just to clear that part - the timeline feature never offered these features. It was designed as a live only tool so all fader movements had to be done live !

Greets, Heiko

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 1:45 pm
Custom edits easy, radio jingles from multiple samples, use VDJ as a drum/synth sample sequencer
You can use 6 decks, 99 if the skin works for V8
Fader movements can be scripted, Painful but possible (I'm yet to understand the macro script if it will work in this type of context but have had fader movements recorded)

If you can script it, you can apply it as an action POI, it's exactly the same preparation as timeline would have been, just without the GUI

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 4:12 pm
jakovski wrote :
Advokut wrote :
recording fader and platter movement?

Just to clear that part - the timeline feature never offered these features. It was designed as a live only tool so all fader movements had to be done live !

Greets, Heiko

whoops, may have jumped the fence a Little quick tbh, sorry, Heiko is correct. But i think it would have been cool nonetheless, think SSL/Ableton/theBridge and their Mixtape-function

Also, dont wanna nitpick, buuuuuut....how about creating custom edits that contain bits and pieces by other tracks? what about mixing more than 2 decks/ mastermixing several tracks together on a timeline to aid only having 2 Hands ;) :D

I agree that almost every function made it into one of the Editors, but you may excuse me and a few others for beeing sad that not every Feature made it into v8. Maybe we could discuss some more, and try to see if some functionality could be added in the future as a update. Not talking about giving us the whole package, just those tiny Little Features that would be the icing on the cake, you know what i mean mate?

greets

Posted Tue 10 Jun 14 @ 7:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)