Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
This is what Track Cleaner can be used for. You can remove parts, censor or stretch the track. All non destructive to the original file. Right click on a track in the browser and select track cleaner.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:25 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Thanks for the tip, good to hear that. Just getting a new Laptop ready for live, think I am going to wait a while for the early adopters chase out bugs on their stable rigs.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:53 pm
Like most here I was a little disappointed at dropped timeline feature.
However it seems most of the functionality exists in other ways let's use what we got and give it a chance.
Disappointed yes but cheated never !
Atomix policy never discloses features of the software prior to release,
And we were all told that development versions may differ from the final release .
I don't think timeline was dropped without a great deal of thought and internal debate, but clearly the features of timeline have been retained but in another form, a different way of working ... Use what we have got and give it time an honest chance, we may yet find we have an innovative design for live gigs that others may even try to imitate.
Peace

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:06 pm
try this

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:09 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
Scrinson wrote :
Can't you get it to work? Just look at the way mixmeister does it. It works fine for them!

As pointed out, VDJ is a live DJ software. I know some people use Mixmeister live but, it was not designed for that. Timeline was a cool concept but, if I wanted that type of operation, I would use Mixmeister.

Mixmeister is designed to use live and it works quite well once you get your head around the different concept.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 3:30 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

well there are....

I'm not one to give hints...but you've been going to the wrong places.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 5:15 am
SuperAceMan wrote :
The timeline concept was disassembled and made into powerful features such as the automix editor, sampler, and other editors in order to preserve the live functionality of the software. You will still be able to use the concept, just over a different series of features.

Could you need to produce a video to fully explain how this works please.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:04 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Videos will come at a later date. Although if you take a look at the manual, I think you will find there is some useful info on these new tools and editors :)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 9:34 am
Unless a function is deprecated or superfluous they should *NEVER* be removed in 'upgrades'. You make them an option. This ain't Microsoft ya know ;)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 12:25 pm
Never????? Who made you in charge? No one tells me how to run my business. No one.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:18 pm
gbeulPRO InfinityMember since 2007
A Man and His Music wrote :
Never????? Who made you in charge? No one tells me how to run my business. No one.

that a difficult speech (Limiter? License?)
we are just discussing thinks and as it is a Beta we want to talk about

even if there outside Millions of People wich use VDJ they not posting in this forum only the People how take Care of the Produkt (Users,Moderaors,Staff) are in charge

we all been in that Business vor a long time
we all have oure on way to work with tools

and we all have oure Pro's and Con's

for me for example my expectation for Timeline was
one tool also driven by my controller to edit the grids via knobs buttons and jog in the same time as in the backround i can drive the party on the other decks.

what i have now is to use difrent editors wich i have to open on my (1280x800) screen and i have to do it with a touchpad (wich is never as exact as the jog)
i don't know at the moment if the editors are speak VDJ-Script (to map them to an extra controller ex. one with out soundcard)
i don't know if keybord shortcuts interfer VDJ and the Editor etc.

one thing for a future Update could be to have an extra Skin with all the funktions you need to prepare your track (like they have it with serato with out controller)
(*i dont like s* and the software is crashing my PC (more than 5000 Files in DB (Memory usage;-)) but something simelar would be helpful.)
i have a controller (SX/SZ) wich have nice features editing the grids in S* and if i could map the buttons via VDJ Script to prepare the tracks before or in Life it will help me personal
mouch more then a permanently Netsearch (wich for me Personal is ADDWare)

just my 2 cents

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:43 am
This would be a GREAT add-on feature. If you've already partially-developed it, perhaps a crowd-funding option to make it a reality. Also, it would be even better if the timeline could also be opened on a second monitor/screen. (As a floating window.) The implementation of "The One DJ" software is clunky and impossible to use in a live situation. The ball is certainly in your court on this, and seriously, a low-hanging fruit for sure.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:25 am
scot wrote :
The ball is certainly in your court on this, and seriously, a low-hanging fruit for sure.

Disclaimer: Using a fruit as a ball is not recommended. Do so at your own risk.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:04 am
groovindj wrote :
scot wrote :
The ball is certainly in your court on this, and seriously, a low-hanging fruit for sure.

Disclaimer: Using a fruit as a ball is not recommended. Do so at your own risk.

:-) Metaphor-mixing is another one of my many untapped talents.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:26 am
poussy1PRO InfinityMember since 2005
scot wrote :

This would be a GREAT add-on feature. If you've already partially-developed it, perhaps a crowd-funding option to make it a reality. Also, it would be even better if the timeline could also be opened on a second monitor/screen. (As a floating window.) The implementation of "The One DJ" software is clunky and impossible to use in a live situation. The ball is certainly in your court on this, and seriously, a low-hanging fruit for sure.

Hi
as far as I know there is no Timeline based program that let's you use controllers.
Maybe the one and that is not ONE hell of a solution.
I only use VDJ for live shows, but I do need a lot of pre-recorded shows.
So mostly I use MAGIX Music Maker, it is mbetter than Mixmeister, but it is no DJ universe program.
So, yes I would pay for an extra Studio type based program made by the VDJ people.
I can wait.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:07 am
poussy1 wrote :
scot wrote :

Hi
as far as I know there is no Timeline based program that let's you use controllers.
Maybe the one and that is not ONE hell of a solution.
I only use VDJ for live shows, but I do need a lot of pre-recorded shows.
So mostly I use MAGIX Music Maker, it is mbetter than Mixmeister, but it is no DJ universe program.
So, yes I would pay for an extra Studio type based program made by the VDJ people.
I can wait.

I to would be happy to pay for timeline variant of Virtualdj if they were to revisit this, but hey lets get V8 out there and "polished" first and see what the demand/support for a timeline feature is from the community down the track.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:37 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
poussy1 wrote :
[quote=scot]

Just downloaded Magix to test out...is there a shortcut key for zoom in and out?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:43 pm
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
back to topic:

i understand that timeline is now devided into several editors.

i was really really looking forward to the timeline for creating edits.

i get that we can expand and cut tracks, but is there ANY way to edit bits and pieces from another file to the beginning and end of a track?

no automix edit, no POI edit, no track cleaner... i want to ADD, is there a anyway?!

i was sooo happy to see we could edit things AND add things in the timeline previews.

i would totally love to add my video intro and small videopieces for scratching to the beginning and end of my videotracks. no live mix, only prepare to avoid loading next small clip

am i right in thinking that this is sadly the only timeline function that did not make it into a editor reincarnation? :(

i wanted to create mixshow edits containing several different videos in one track for each deck

i don't want to keep using vegas or even movie maker, so adding onto tracks was really a part of the timeline feature i was so eager for.

any thoughts or tips to guide me in the right direction, or is there even the slightest chance to add a "track editor" that gives the option to create tracks from different small videos, or add to the start and end of tracks clips from another track??

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 6:32 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PhantomDeejay wrote :
pseft wrote :

drop bass line mids and hi's.... fade out tunes.
Did vdj team think that this was ment to b used at live gigs... really, thats alot of work to do wile djin

While djing live at a gig you should be mixing "manually" most of the time... :P
Also the automix works without the need to use the automix editor. However if you want to create a nice "automixed" playlist then this can help you to create a fine tweaked automated mix

i would never use this feature at a live gig... why would you?

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 5:51 am
pseft wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
pseft wrote :

drop bass line mids and hi's.... fade out tunes.
Did vdj team think that this was ment to b used at live gigs... really, thats alot of work to do wile djin

While djing live at a gig you should be mixing "manually" most of the time... :P
Also the automix works without the need to use the automix editor. However if you want to create a nice "automixed" playlist then this can help you to create a fine tweaked automated mix

i would never use this feature at a live gig... why would you?

I think Mr Gogetta (name changed to protect me from libel) would disagree lol

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 10:46 am
91%