Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

There are many ways of DJing. Some say you shouldn't use a laptop, some say you should only DJ on vinyl, some say you shouldn't use the sync button, some say that VDJ is a bedroom DJ's toy and not real DJing software. I have been DJing for over 20 years and have been a professional for over 12. I started with vinyl and have seen all of the changes since and I say you use whatever method that you need to get the job done and satisfy the customer.

One of the best DJs I ever saw couldn't beat match for toffee but had the dance floor full all night because he played the right tunes at the right time.

Just because one person does it one way doesn't mean we all have to do it the same way. hence the question why.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:52 am
djqwikcut wrote :
I see no need for this. I am a DJ that mixes with Timecode... I dont want to pre-plan my mixes onto a timeline...

Well done you, but for others it would be nice to have the option

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:10 am
I have three minds about this.
1) I never saw the timeline feature as a live mixing feature, but as a production tool kit built into my dj software.... would have been cool to have that to mess with in the studio, not as useful live.
2) That said, I was wondering how much bloat it might add.... and the dev team probably made the right decision.

However, they made a huge marketing blunder.... almost fraud. Don't get me wrong... I'm just fine without the timeline and I like what's here in version 8... but I'm surprised at your marketing team decisions. If you were dropping timeline after promoting it so much... you should have announced it. Oh... but the whole secrecy thing? Where was the secrecy when you promoted the new timeline feature? If it did well for promotion... didn't you think people might want to know it was dropped and why?

Imagine your daughter is having a wedding. You hire one of us and during the sales pitch we give we talk about some really cool lighting thing we are going to do with the room. It sounds fantastic! On the day of the wedding you show up to the reception hall to check out this lighting thing we talked about.... and we didn't do it. We had everything else going and a few extra odds and ends... but this really big cool new lighting is no where to be found. When you ask, we tell you it turned out to not really be practical and would not work for the room. How do you feel about that?

It well may be that we as professionals made the right decision about lighting for your daughter's reception.... but maybe we should have mentioned that to you before the day of the reception... since we hyped it up so much during the sales pitch.... don't ya think?

Again... liking v8 but I think it was a very poor marketing decision not to mention dropping the timeline feature before release....

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 10:53 am
I guess people were on their case enough already, what with 8 taking so long, that an announcement (admission) like that would've caused even more fuss.

Maybe if enough people want to see it, it'll return.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:02 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
CAN YOU CUT OUT SKITS FROM VIDEOS

I don't know many serious music video providers who include skits in their videos?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:05 am
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
sleeperawaken wrote :
I have three minds about this.
1) I never saw the timeline feature as a live mixing feature, but as a production tool kit built into my dj software.... would have been cool to have that to mess with in the studio, not as useful live.
2) That said, I was wondering how much bloat it might add.... and the dev team probably made the right decision.

However, they made a huge marketing blunder.... almost fraud. Don't get me wrong... I'm just fine without the timeline and I like what's here in version 8... but I'm surprised at your marketing team decisions. If you were dropping timeline after promoting it so much... you should have announced it. Oh... but the whole secrecy thing? Where was the secrecy when you promoted the new timeline feature? If it did well for promotion... didn't you think people might want to know it was dropped and why?

Imagine your daughter is having a wedding. You hire one of us and during the sales pitch we give we talk about some really cool lighting thing we are going to do with the room. It sounds fantastic! On the day of the wedding you show up to the reception hall to check out this lighting thing we talked about.... and we didn't do it. We had everything else going and a few extra odds and ends... but this really big cool new lighting is no where to be found. When you ask, we tell you it turned out to not really be practical and would not work for the room. How do you feel about that?

It well may be that we as professionals made the right decision about lighting for your daughter's reception.... but maybe we should have mentioned that to you before the day of the reception... since we hyped it up so much during the sales pitch.... don't ya think?

Again... liking v8 but I think it was a very poor marketing decision not to mention dropping the timeline feature before release....

Best analogy ever!!!

I was kind of disappointed as I looked for this feature the first hour playing around with the software only to go to the forums to see a post that was pretty much...oh BTW we got rid of the Timeline feature.

The Track Cleaner is a great add on but needs some work....for now its way easier for me to load a track in MixMeister or Presonus Studio One and make a DJ edit of a song and resave it then to go through the cleaner. If they could add to the cleaner the ability to snap to beats or measures it would make it so much more powerful and easy to make quick DJ edits.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:06 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Scrinson wrote :

One of the best DJs I ever saw couldn't beat match for toffee but had the dance floor full all night because he played the right tunes at the right time.

Dave Pearce?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:06 am
At my four hour gig on Saturday night, I did one single running mix.

Nobody was concerned or complained. They had a good time. Job done. :-)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:10 am
I have a mate that won the UK DJ championship way back in the 70s. He can't mix for toffee either and still working.

I have recently started doing a rock gig on a Saturday for a couple of hours after the bands. No beat matching going on there ;-)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:17 am
groovindj wrote :
I guess people were on their case enough already, what with 8 taking so long, that an announcement (admission) like that would've caused even more fuss.

and maybe letting people know that the biggest new feature of version 8 was being scrapped would have led to alot of people not buying VDJ. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a little cheated since it was the timeline that prompted me to buy VDJ pro ready for version 8.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:22 am
Cauthers wrote :
groovindj wrote :

and maybe letting people know that the biggest new feature of version 8 was being scrapped would have led to alot of people not buying VDJ. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels a little cheated since it was the timeline that prompted me to buy VDJ pro ready for version 8.

I've had VDJ for years so didn't have to buy this version and I feel cheated!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:13 pm
Scrinson wrote :
didn't have to buy this version

You haven't bought this version.

You bought VDJ 7 (it shows under your user name). The upgrade to 8 is free.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:17 pm
groovindj wrote :

You bought VDJ 7 (it shows under your user name). The upgrade to 8 is free.

I bought VDJ 7 specifically after watching VDJ 8 feature videos, it seemed version 8 was imminent and I wanted to be ready for it's release.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:42 pm
Its a great 1st impression and great product.

Three minor improvements
1) Bpm editor shows a beat grid of the 4 beats in greyscale with light grey being the 1st beat. Could we put this beat grid onto the back of the waveform in the skin?

2) The sampler can be loaded on to the various channels which is great, but no effects can be used with this, Can the sampler be connected with a deck so effects can be used per channel.

For future release
Serato has system where you can use up to three effects at once on an effects sections. Could we have two bars where we drop the effects onto and just assign knob, where these effects would just use wet/dry and switch on and off. Each channel output would then send the sound/video effects to these bars. Very similar to the way ddj-sx works in serato with assigning the channels to the effects section. These bars could then be directly midi mapped and a keyboard short cut to switch between using the bar or the effect on the deck.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:01 pm
+1 for Serato-style single knob effect control

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:17 pm
uksam13 wrote :

For future release
Serato has system where you can use up to three effects at once on an effects sections. Could we have two bars where we drop the effects onto and just assign knob, where these effects would just use wet/dry and switch on and off. Each channel output would then send the sound/video effects to these bars. Very similar to the way ddj-sx works in serato with assigning the channels to the effects section. These bars could then be directly midi mapped and a keyboard short cut to switch between using the bar or the effect on the deck.

Have you tried to expand the effects section on the decks ? It offers 3 effect slots now...

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:17 pm
Dammit people..... RTFM. I see lot of posts about "why doesnt it have this yet" when it in fact does if you would just read the manual. I agree that some new features oddly are not present with how the default skin is setup.... but if you read the manual and explore a bit you will find a lot of stuff that isnt obvious from the first start.....and you look not all that bright making big long posts showing that you obviously did not take anymore than 5 minutes with the software and 0 minutes with the manual before posting a huge rant.

This software does have some bugs... but its a first release having been built from the ground up... dont let the "version 8.0" fool you... its actually a 1.0 at this stage....so lets not make up problems... lets find the actual problems after reading the manual and spending some time with the software.... then report any concerns so they can be addressed.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:01 pm
splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
People are going to complain at the sun shining or the rain falling. Just be grateful that you have a great software like VDJ. Whatever features is missing, could be added in the future. Stop complaining about every little thing. That is the reason I don't have DJ friends; they are so childish.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:26 pm
aubs123PRO InfinityMember since 2006
can live with out the timeline in vdj, that's not what I use this software for,
but would love to see you guys do a separate studio version, to nail down the mix cds
still waiting for a dissent updated update off mixmeister which well, just saying
why not make some more money for yourselves i would gladly pay for that

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:54 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
aubs123 wrote :
can live with out the timeline in vdj, that's not what I use this software for,
but would love to see you guys do a separate studio version, to nail down the mix cds
still waiting for a dissent updated update off mixmeister which well, just saying
why not make some more money for yourselves i would gladly pay for that

I agree.....just make a separate STUDIO version....I know that's easier said than done but there are a ton of people waiting for a program that is similar to MixMeister Version 6 but updated for 2014.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 3:59 pm
55%