Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

ok can you still remove skits from videos

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 1:35 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
NAWTBOY wrote :
If you go into the automix section there is kind of a timeline feature there......Not nearly as cool as what the previews promised but I'm thinking its a good start

but u cant tweak intro and outro....

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 2:13 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Let me just tell you this:

I was a beta tester for another product you might have heard of. The One or OneDJ.
They implemented the timeline concept and it really is horrible to work with.
Way to many mouse-work. As stated by the Teamer and Devs. The concept sound cool and might look cool aswell, but the workflow isn't nearly as good as you might think off by seen pictures or videos.

When I first saw the VDJ 8 beta I was a little disappointed too, but now I think the concept of seperated editors is much better than a big timeline feature.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 4:59 am
pseft wrote :
NAWTBOY wrote :
If you go into the automix section there is kind of a timeline feature there......Not nearly as cool as what the previews promised but I'm thinking its a good start

What do you mean by tweak?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 5:00 am
PachN wrote :
it really is horrible to work with.
Way to many mouse-work.

That isn't necessarily an issue with Timeline, but with the GUI and user interaction. It's up to the designers to make it simple to use.

Also, the concept is very different to the "normal" DJ operational method so of course working with it will not be as easy as loading a deck and pressing play.

I use Ableton Live for remix and production, but have also used it to make a "DJ mix" in the manner of Timeline. It took longer to construct than if I had mixed it live, but the benefit was that the mixing/blending was precise and it was possible to edit & adjust everything at any time before, during and after construction.

It's closer to producing than DJing because of the methods involved. That doesn't make it "horrible", just different.

There's a reason why many DJs use Ableton Live. It makes things possible which can't (currently) be done in "normal" DJ software. DJ software has got a little bit closer in some areas (Remix Decks, VDJ 8 sampler) and the Timeline would have brought VDJ 8 another step closer to those Ableton Live capabilities.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 5:41 am
Can't you get it to work? Just look at the way mixmeister does it. It works fine for them!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:09 am
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PachN wrote :
pseft wrote :
NAWTBOY wrote :

What do you mean by tweak?

drop bass line mids and hi's.... fade out tunes.
Did vdj team think that this was ment to b used at live gigs... really, thats alot of work to do wile djin

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:28 am
Bummed. Make it a add on!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:57 am
pseft wrote :

drop bass line mids and hi's.... fade out tunes.
Did vdj team think that this was ment to b used at live gigs... really, thats alot of work to do wile djin

While djing live at a gig you should be mixing "manually" most of the time... :P
Also the automix works without the need to use the automix editor. However if you want to create a nice "automixed" playlist then this can help you to create a fine tweaked automated mix

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:00 am
I see no need for this. I am a DJ that mixes with Timecode... I dont want to pre-plan my mixes onto a timeline...

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:47 am
CAN YOU CUT OUT SKITS FROM VIDEOS

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:58 am
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I, too, was a MIxmeister fan. Used to use it to dj live all the time. Not the most efficient way to mix, but the timeline was a great feature.

+1 for adding as a plugin.... Please.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:00 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

You read the manual already?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:03 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Page 69 of the manual ;-)

No need to shout!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:04 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
While djing live at a gig you should be mixing "manually" most of the time... :P

Why?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:16 am
Shame on you for asking "Why?"

That's what DJ's do!!!!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:17 am
Because that's what people expect. They're hiring you - a person. If they wanted a computer to do the work, they could use iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp....

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:18 am
Yeah, and you also could just use automix to let the programm do all of your work you're being paid for.
So, no need of a timeline at all...

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:19 am
Ah, but the Timeline offered more than just mixing from A to B.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:21 am
Scrinson wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Why?

Because if you make it automatic, what's the purpose in hiring ad DJ? Venues would just buy the software and forget all about the DJ. It Happens already. Remember that when you can't find a gig to work.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:26 am
36%