Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problems Recording a mix using Virtual Dj & VMS 4.1

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I having problems recording a mix... I am using mac with virtual dj pro with VMS 4.1... when I am recording Live mixes using both side 1 and 2... it seems like when i want to "preview" my next song using the headphones cue... that is also getting recorded!! I want to only record what is playing LOUD and LIVE not the headphone portion. I have my configuration set as ... Input: None, Output: External Mixer, Sound card: VMS 4.1... is this not the correct way?.. I have troubleshooted several ways... can someone help me out?..

Posted Thu 08 Mar 12 @ 12:35 pm

Posted Thu 08 Mar 12 @ 3:23 pm
Please stop providing that link...IT DOES NOT WORK!!!! My gosh! You are forever giving these people this link and it's ineffective. Even having Audacity, the quality is EXTREMELY poor!

Posted Tue 05 Feb 13 @ 10:53 am
This information is correct and does work when followed correctly. It is the only way to record when using a real hardware mixer such as that built into the VMS4.1 Using VirtualDJ's internal recording facility won't work correctly with a real hardware mixer because your mixing is being carried out in the hardware after it has left VirtualDJ.

If the quality is poor then:

* You may have used the wrong output of your mixer. On the VMS4, you would need to use the booth output. Make sure that the booth output level is not set too high.

* If you are using your computer's built-in sound card, it may be set to mic input instead of line, which would result in a distorted signal. Check in the MacOS audio settings to ensure that it is set to line input.. Also, check that the input level isn't set too high.

* Your recording settings in your recording software are incorrect. Check these in the software options/preferences. For example, if you are recording/saving as 128Kbps MP3 or lower, then the quality will not be good.

* As mentioned in the above link, depending on your hardware, you may also be able to use record loopback option in advanced sound config in VirtualDJ to be able to record internally, but this is more complicated to setup than simply using a cable.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 13 @ 12:16 pm
Well I have a Mac 10.8 and a Denon DN 6000, and i have tried "your" way and it is still not configured correctly. Something is wrong as other people are having this exact same issue, so if that link was the best way, then there would not be so many complaints.

Posted Tue 05 Feb 13 @ 9:14 pm
This topic is about the VMS4.1 not Denon MC6000. The VMS4.1 is different to the MC6000. What works for the MC6000 won't necessarily work for VMS4 and vice-versa. For help on recording with the MC6000, please refer to your own topic http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/174496/x/

NOTE: The above is a common issue when using DJ software with separate deck outputs to real hardware mixers. It's not the fault of software and there's absolutely nothing the software can do about it internally because your mixing is being carried out by external hardware once it has left VirtualDJ unmixed. You must route the mixed signal from your hardware mixer back into your computer to be able to record it correctly.

Posted Wed 06 Feb 13 @ 5:45 am
I'm on day 3 of my new VMS 4.1 and I started experimenting with recording (from the Booth Out into my PC's Line In, trying with both Audacity and VirtualDJ's built in record) and I'm having similar problems.

Using Audacity, I've turned on the clipping detection, started playing something loud in VDJ, and started recording. I've then adjusted the Booth volume control to just below where I'm getting clipping. On my VMS4.1 this is only just above the first white line on the knob - about 2mm travel from the lowest position (about 8 1/2 o'clock on the knob). The wave form looks fine on Audacity but when I load it into VDJ (or any other media player) the volume is very low (the VDJ wave form is very short compared to the original track) and when I turn up the gain to equalise it there's background noise. If I turn the Booth Out down (not that I can turn it down much more) the recording is super quiet and it's just lost in the hiss.

I've followed the debugging steps suggested above...

* You may have used the wrong output of your mixer. On the VMS4, you would need to use the booth output. Make sure that the booth output level is not set too high.

== Done this. See above.

* If you are using your computer's built-in sound card, it may be set to mic input instead of line, which would result in a distorted signal. Check in the MacOS audio settings to ensure that it is set to line input.. Also, check that the input level isn't set too high.

== Definately using Line In. Tried it with Mike In and it was even worse. (N.B. I'm doing this on a PC). I also tried it with a cheapo external USB card which only has a Mike In and that was equally poor.

* Your recording settings in your recording software are incorrect. Check these in the software options/preferences. For example, if you are recording/saving as 128Kbps MP3 or lower, then the quality will not be good.

== Was saving as 320kbps MP3 so I don't think that's the problem.

So... what's the next steps here? Do I just have a crappy built in sound card on my PC? Could this be an impedance problem? Would wiring in a resister between the Booth Out and Line In help me (I'm thinking about the doing this with the VMS4.1's headphone out as my headphones have a very low resistance). Do I need to some how earth the VMS 4.1? Or do I have to give up on using the VMS4.1's built in analog mixer and use it only as a controller so I can use VirtualDJ's built in recorder without looping it back in via Line In?

Any ideas gratefully accepted! (BTW, I appreciate this is NOT a VirtualDJ software problem, but hopefully someone out there has had a similar problem and solved it!)

Posted Wed 27 Mar 13 @ 12:33 pm

Posted Wed 27 Mar 13 @ 2:48 pm
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
Mac do not use ASIO ;-)

MC6000
As far as i know and what i have testet, it is not possible to use the MC6000 as the Record Loopback input source.
This is because of the buildin soundcard and will not work as long as VDj do not support these type of soundcards (48k)

Soundcard Setting:

Input - None
Output - Headphone
Soundcard - 4Out ----> Select the MC6000

The only way to to record or broadcast with MC6000 is to connect the (example) the MC6000 Record Output (RCA) with the Mac buildin soundcard input (3.5Jack)!

For Broadcast use Nicecast or BUTT and for record something like Audio Recorder 3.2 MAC.
If the sound is not OK, it is not a problem from VDJ, it is a setting from inside the other products.
You only have to be safe you have switched inside Mac audio setting to LINE IN instead of MIC!

VMS4(.1)
If the way from the link above will not work for you, you can try the same way like i worte for the MC6000!
Then it will work!

Posted Thu 28 Mar 13 @ 3:08 am
Just wanted to chime in. I too was having issues w/ recording where everything I was cueing was coming out in the recording. I'm using a MacBook Pro (13"), Denon MC-6000, and WAS using the VDJ Pro software to record (now Audacity).

I want to thank the Support Staff because now I can record the 'final mix' exactly the way it comes out when I'm playing/mixing/talking on the mic without all the cueing. If you are having difficulty with the same and using similar equipment, this is the thread that will help you. In particular, I thought the link to CNET to change the 'headphone' jack into a 'line in' was the most helpful to me, as I'm using Audacity to record now. Goes to show, what's common knowledge to some, might be new to someone else...even an old dog like me...so SHARE what you know.

Thanks Support Staff!!

-IM

Posted Sun 09 Jun 13 @ 10:15 am
Hi support,
I have just bought VMS 4.1 and when recording, it's picking the song which is on the headphone as well.. how do i go about solving this issue a i only want to record what's playing live and note what i'm trying to cue??

Rgds,

Alex

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 11:14 pm

Posted Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 2:59 am
Hey Haui, let me try this I see if it'll work. Another thing, when I try to filter bass from the VMS 4.1 as i load new song, it doesn't seem to work. what could be the problem?

Posted Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 5:16 am
Not sure if i understand, but it looks like the Eqs does go back to default position on software side, when you load a new track.
Please try to disable resetEqOnLoad under Option :-)

Posted Wed 03 Dec 14 @ 8:34 am
Hey Haui, I managed to sort the knob issues. The recording part is still not working out after following the link provided. what's you number may be I call you to explain to me if you don't mind? You may email me on [Removed]

[Sorry, unlicensed home users are not permitted to post E-mail addresses and other contact details in the forums. Please read the forum rules]

Posted Fri 05 Dec 14 @ 12:44 am

Posted Tue 09 Dec 14 @ 6:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)