Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Time 4 new cans...Beats PRO or Pioneer HDJ 2000's - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
djcity wrote :
Hey,
ALL headphones i've had in the past BREAK!!!!
I figure that if imma spend that kind of money for cans again, I really want em to last and NOT BREAK!!!!!!!!!

Do yourself a favor... forget all those flashy ...robocop's dj headphones and get a pair of Sennheizer hd-25's.
They are designed to last, don't ask me how they did. After 6 years of heavy use (5-6 gigs per week) i only need to replace the ear pads now.
They've dropped from my booth countless of times, sometimes in a hard way.
Plus these are flat response monitor headphones you can trust, and they are so lightweight that you forget that you wear them.
(No ear fatigue) And because of their sound you can monitor at low levels compared to other headphones and protect your ears. (i usually need the half headphone output power on the same mixers compared to other dj's that use other headphones)

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 6:17 am
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I am beginning to look into the Senhieser HD 25-II. I'm looking at the Adidas version because so far...I don't find the black ones to be all that "sexy".

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4008415

http://www.dskreet.net/images/adidas2.jpg

http://www.dskreet.net/images/adidas4.jpg

I'm not decided by a long shot. I really like the all metal construction of the Beats Pro's
The Pioneer HDJ 2000's are more sturdy than any other they have made in the past but I heard from 2 people that they also broke on them.
The Senhieser HD 25-II seem durable but are not real attractive.

I wish there were a place that carried all 3 pair so I could compare side by side by side and make the best choice based on what I see, hear and feel for myself.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 6:28 am
I use the Denon DN-HP 1000. For a plastic headphone, this must be one of the toughest and sturdiest I have ever put on my head. All that is plastic is very firmly screwed in ( even small parts have screws, no lame plastic inserts like I've seen some headphones have.)

Denon must have heard about complaints of the MDR V-700 DJ and Pioneer HDJ-1000 swivel joints breaking after a few months of normal use, because this swivel joints are extremely sturdy, while at the same time the actual swiveling action is loose and easy to do. There is no spring kickback (good or bad, subjective. I honestly don't care).

I'm very satisfied with my purchase, not only because the headphones are great, but because I think this introduced me to a better sound to the fact that music does go beyond generic earphones and low quality headphones. Also the research done before buying this product enabled me to understand some basic audio engineering jargon.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 6:32 am
The Denons are really good. I have had 2 pair. One pair got run over by a car (don't ask) The other pair lasted about 1 1/2 years then broke. Not at the hinge but the plastic band. The part that adjusts the size of the headphones.
I have a relatively small head, a size 7 hat is almost too big for me. The headphones still broke tho.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 7:25 am
The problem with Sennheiser is that you have to replace ear pads (and they are not cheap) because they wear out and look like garbage. And the top soft part is not replaceable.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 8:04 am
I own the Pioneer HDJ-2000's and they are the best pair of headphones I've ever had. They sound amazing and I can crank the volume on them and they still sound good. Plus, I'm confident the titanium alloy swivel joints will hold up. Also, the memory foam makes for a really comfortable fit. And I personally like the look of them. Plus they have a mono switch. A lot of people will tell you to go with the Senheiser Hd-25's but one thing to keep in mind... no coiled cable, which means you'll have to use cable ties to shorten the length of the cable to avoid stepping on it.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 8:14 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I also have the Pioneer Hdj2000 . Perfect Buy .

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 12:05 pm

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 3:11 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
All I can say about the Pioneer's is....THEY SOUND GREAT!!!! Much better than the Sony's (I own mdvr500 or whatever they're called). I do not own the latest Pioneer headphones because my HDJ-1000 kept breaking constantly in the same spot (multiple pairs) so I opted for something that would handle a little more wear and tear and if break cheaply replace.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 3:56 pm
i've been using the pioneer 2000 for 1,5 year now and they are as good as new, my number 1. I own the denon 1000 as well for backup.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 4:13 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgnTksq7gw

I'm starting to lean toward the Beats PRO based on the video review and the fact that the construction of them makes them damn near bulletproof.
I've seen the broken Pioneer HDJ 2000's. (Boo)
The Senhieser HD 25-II seem really good but i'm not a fan of their appearance (personal preference). The Adidas series are cool but i'm still not quite sold.

Pioneer - $249 (they still break at hinge)
Beats Pro's - $260 (For Me...$399 for others)
Senhieser HD 25-II Adidas - $250

It's still a toss up.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 4:39 pm
Beats By Dre Pro's are no longer on my list.
I finally got to hear and handle the Beats Pros in a work environment. They ARE HEAVY as hell. They don't seem that heavy @ Best Buy but at a club... HEAAAAAAVY.

The sound is not stellar. Don't get me wrong, they do sound good but not worth the money. Not even at the discount I could get them at. They are built like a armored tank tho, I can safely say they won't break. I could hurl them hard against the wall and they would just shrug it off and keep it movin. Really exceptional build quality. THEY WILL NOT BREAK!!! but they are not comfortable at all and the sound is just not good enough.

Compared to my Denon HP 1000's they sound louder, brighter, richer and deeper but not necessarily better. It's hard to explain but thats how I can describe them in comparison to the Denon's. I guess they sound colored, a trick to make your ears think they sound better than they really do.

I hope to test out the Pioneers in a club setting soon. I also want to test the HD 25's which are now solidly on my "check em out" list. I'm trying to get past their looks. (Personal preference thing) They really are unattractive cans.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 7:57 am
UPDATE.....

Sennheiser Hd25
AIAIAI TMA - 1
Beyerdynamic DT1350

I guess my tastes are changing and you guys have pretty much convinced me.

Which of the three would be the best and WHY? PLEASE...If at all possible, give me real "FROM EXPERIENCE" viewpoints and not wild, uneducated, unexperienced guesses.

Sennheiser HD25..................Will the cable come out of the headband? it looks like it can.
AIAIAI TMA - 1.....................Anyone ever USE them? How do they compare to the HD25's?
Beyerdynamic DT1350...........Anyone ever USE them? Are they worth the hefty price tag?

Pio's are not out of the equation yet but they now have serious competition from the cans above.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 7:58 am
I remember seeing an old pair of Sony's and they were metal.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 9:15 am

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 11:54 am
Sadly I can't make any comparisons, but I LOVE my HD25's. Clear sound and isolation from the club- the best there is. Or best there is until recently if skratchworx is to be believed...

http://skratchworx.com/reviews/beyer_dt1350.php

Defo more stylish than the sennheisers, and if they really do isolate better than the HD25s (and look better too) I think you might have found a winner.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 12:42 pm
For me, any pair of headphones i use will last. I have the same Sony MDR V700's for over 6 years. When it comes to DJ headphones, you cant really make recomendations to others because some djs are heavy handed. when i am ready to pack up and go after a gig, I never place my headphones in its carying bag because while its folded, Its putting pressure on the folding parts. Another thing i dont do is wrap the headphones cable around the headphones when i am packing. This is how the cable gets all wcked out of shape then breaks. Sometimes i just I fold my headphones and other times i dont. I just place them inside my dj bag and I leave the wires loose.

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 2:22 pm
Dee PPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I can't help you with all three, but.... I have tried the HD 25s and the thing that impressed me the most was the isolation. It is really top notch! Now, I also bought the TMA-1s a month ago. They look sexy as hell (subjective) and seem really sturdy. Soundwise, not that they are not good, but I would go for the HDs. I have to say though, and you can laugh at me, that I have been a proud owner of the Numark PHX for 5 years now and they have NEVER let me down. I use them once or twice a week for the last 5 years and I'm considering of buying a new pair, while keeping the AIAIAIs or replacing them with the Sennheisers. Don't let the price tag fool you, the PHX must be one of the most underestimated headphones out there. They now come with a USB option, which is very practical as a back-up in case your soundcard fails you. Hope that helped...

Posted Fri 01 Apr 11 @ 3:15 pm
Craziest thing happened today. I went to Chuck Levins (Washington Music Center) and had an opportunity to do a SIDE BY SIDE BY SIDE DIRECT COMPARISON of the Sennheiser HD 25's against the Pioneer HDJ 2000's vs beats By Dre Pro's. here is my in depth summary of all three cans...

Sennheiser HD 25.....
Excellent isolation and excellent sound. They press on the ears rather tightly but not uncomfortably so. I was quite impressed with the sound quality. Very impressed is more like it. They really sound amazing especially for such a small can.
I was not impressed with the build or the design. I'm not talking about sex appeal but the actual design of the headphone. I did not like that the cable is run through a groove in the headband. Too easy to be pulled out. I did not like the exposed cable around the can itself. Again, too easy to be pulled or to get caught in something. I see the weak spot in their design. The can itself has a little swivel room and thats a good thing but it can snap the arm or the bracket holding the can to the arm. I also found them to be kinds flimsy feeling. Too many things moving around between the swing of the arm, the swing of the headbands and the exposed cable.

Pioneer HDJ 2000's...
The worst sounding of the three. By themselves they sound good but in comparison, they do not even come close to the Sennheiser's or the Beats By Dre Pro's.
The design is very good though. Isolation is good but not as good as either of the other two headphones As far as durability, they seem durable enough but the headband is made of plastic and prone to breakage. The swivel has the very nice touch of snapping back into position but it's the actual swivel that concerns me. Although it is made of alloy, it still has many parts held together with screws. screws do come loose after a time and I can see test headphones going the same was as the 1000's. They are more durable than most headphones out there but not as durable as pioneer would have you believe.

Beats By Dre Pro's...
Best isolation of the three tested. I was VERY surprised to find the Beat's Pro's to have the best sound of the three as well (To MY ear). They are very bass heavy though and I can see some people not liking that amount of bass. When I tried the Beats Pro's in a club atmosphere, I was unimpressed at that time. I later found out that the mixers headphone output had "issues". I did not do a side by side comparison that night but today's testing has changed my mind on the Beats Pro's.
My opinion about the construction remains the same. BUILT LIKE A TANK!!!!! I don't think the Beats Pro's will ever break. They could get run over by a car and survive.
I do not like that the can itself does not swivel left to right in place. They are fixed in place. The swinging arms are just o.k. not great, not bad, just o.k. They are useful but the downside of them is that the can itself has no side to side wiggle so swinging the arm up takes the other can slightly off the ear. There really is no "cueing out one side from your shoulder with the Beats Pros again due to the lack of side to side wiggle. The Senns and the Beats were somewhat close in sound quality but for my ear and style of music, The beats by Dre Pro's edge out over the Sennheiser HD 25's

Well, thats my direct comparison of the three headphones. I was able to use and test all three headphones. I was able to test them on various mixers and with various music all with the same results.

Best...
Beats By Dre Pro's

Second best...
Sennheiser HD 25's

Last place...
Pioneer HDJ 2000's

I am now VERY interested in thhe AIAIAI TMA - 1's
from what I have read about them they have a little more bass than the Sennheiser HD 25's and do not have the weaknesses the Sennheiser HD 25's have. Unfortunately, The only way I have to test these out is to purchase them so again....
if anyone has EXPERIENCE with the AIAIAI TMA 1's please post about them. If anyone has done a side by side comparison of the Sennheiser HD 25's vs the AIAIAI TMA 1's...please post your findings.

Posted Sat 02 Apr 11 @ 8:04 pm

Posted Tue 05 Apr 11 @ 10:02 pm
65%