Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Time 4 new cans...Beats PRO or Pioneer HDJ 2000's - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hey,
My Denon's Hp 1000's got ran over by a car (don't ask).
My Sony MDR 700's are in 3 pieces.
My Pioneer HDJ 1000's are in 2 pieces.
ALL headphones i've had in the past BREAK!!!!

I'm relatively gentle with headphones but all plastic headphones have a weak spot (HINGES)!!!

I am looking at 2 pair that don't seem to have this particular weakness.

Beats by Dre Pro's and Pioneer HDJ 2000's

I looked for direct comparisons of the two online but could not find anything helpful.

Now I ask the community..... Which ones are better?

I know that sound is subjective to the individual but I am looking for a comparison in sound, BUILD QUALITY, comfort and DURABILITY.

Anyone out there with real world experience with these two headphones?

I figure that if imma spend that kind of money for cans again, I really want em to last and NOT BREAK!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 6:03 pm
I have PIONEER HDJ 2000. The BUILD QUALITY, comfort and DURABILITY is great! But the sound is not the best. Those cans have frequency response is optimised for pro DJ use with volume reduction in mid range. So they will not be very good for home use.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 6:59 pm
Any consideration toward the new Numark Redwave's, City? They are supposed to be the answer to all of those problems... well... minus the car running them over part!

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 7:03 pm
Like you City I to seem to always break my headphones. I recently bought a of AKG's, they sound great, fit well and seem to be bullet proof!! I've had this pair for almost a year and for me that's a record. Might wanna check them out.

Huey

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 8:57 pm
djfilosoff wrote :
I have PIONEER HDJ 2000. The BUILD QUALITY, comfort and DURABILITY is great! But the sound is not the best. Those cans have frequency response is optimised for pro DJ use with volume reduction in mid range. So they will not be very good for home use.

Thanks. I am a pro DJ. I spin at clubs at least 3 nights a week. Maybe thats why cans always break on me. I will not use cans at home, only for Dj'ing.

I know the Beats by Dre Pro's are really built like a tank. All metal, no plastic but the $400 price tag is a bit much. I heard the beats but never heard the Pioneers. I'm really trying to find out how the two pair of cans stacked up against each other.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 10:55 pm
I had my Sony MDR-V700 for ten years, I really love them until my friend destroyed them. I really love the sound quality and I was about to replace them with the same pair, but I just purchased ReLoop RHP-10 and I love them.

If you are still in the market, I would recommend the ReLoop headphones.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 11:38 pm
I've had it with buying headphones, I recently bust my HDJ1000's after 3 months of 6 night weeks. Even still they should of seen that out, anyway I just use the one side thats left, the right side cup with the lead attached. actually all i have is a cup with the lead attached but i got used to it now.

Anyway I saw your video and you can see a lead plugged into your NS7 going back under your flightcase, I also notice you mix without the use of headphones, I thought you must of had some sort of wireless solution ear plug or something?

Posted Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 2:42 pm
I have the HDJ2000 and they are very good.

Keith

Posted Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 2:46 pm
the dre headphones are way overpriced for specs - you can get better frequency response from cheap headphones at walmart.

the reloop phones have very nice tech specs but are lacking a bit on the higher frequencies

the sony's are going down in price online (buy.com - under $80usd someitimes less) and while they still havent fixed the hinge/build issues they're still the winners for us.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 3:19 pm
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Might as well include the Technics RP-DH1200.
Tough, very tough, had it since 2004...

Posted Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 4:03 pm
coach kPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I pretty much had all the top of the line headsets, from Sony to Dre Beats and all of them broke on me! My wife purposely set a budget for my headphones alone! Yet for the last year and a half, I been using these Sylvania wireless headsets someone graciously brought me as a gift. To my surprise, crystal clear and I've dropped them more times than I can count, but they still work to this day! After all the years of popping wires, breaking one side or the other and so many other ways you can break a pair of headsets, the cheapest pair of headphones this side of those 1980 headphones I ever owned are still doing job to this day!

Yet if I were you, I'd go with the Pioneer HDJ 2000's over Dre Beats any day, for the very fact of durability and quality of sound, especially for DJing!

BIG UPS DJ CITY!

Posted Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 4:45 pm

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 4:08 pm

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 4:09 pm
ReThinkPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Id say get a pair of HD-25IIs and call it a day.

Link

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 8:27 pm
DoomtbLE userMember since 2011

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 1:33 pm
Pioneer support for headphones really suck. I will never buy another pioneer product because of their lack of customer support. I would recommend the Beats By Dre headphones.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 2:46 pm
Does anyone have personal knowledge or experience with the two pair of headphones i'm asking about?

I am specifically looking at the...

PIONEER HDJ 2000

Informational link ...
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pioneer-HDJ2000-Pro-DJ-Headphones?sku=581566

BEATS BY DRE PRO

Informational link...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Beats+By+Dr.+Dre+-+Monster+Pro+Over-the-Ear+Headphones+-+White/9819884.p?id=1218178260203&skuId=9819884

Click on link below for detailed pics of Beats Pro. (How they move/swing)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9819884&productId=1218178260203&viewtype=Alternate%20View%204&h=387

I am looking for the metal construction of these two sets of cans. I just want to know if one of them are better than the other and why.
I do not want the Beats Studio's. They are some B.S. (sorry if I offend anyone who owns em).

These are really the only two sets i'm seriously considering. Nothing wrong with the other suggestions and thank you all for them, but the two i'm asking about are really the only two i'm interested in unless there are another pair of metal cans out there.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 3:14 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote :

Anyway I saw your video and you can see a lead plugged into your NS7 going back under your flightcase, I also notice you mix without the use of headphones, I thought you must of had some sort of wireless solution ear plug or something?

I only wish...
My case is a work of art (To me)
I have everything all together and connected under the NS7 and under the shelf. USB Hub is under the shelf sporting 2 led lights, the NS7 and the NSFX.
The power for the MBP and the Cordless Shure mic are there under the NS7. The USB comes from under the laptop shelf and plugs into the MBP as does the MBP Mag Safe. The cable that you see is to the Sure cordless mic.

I can and do DJ without headphones sometimes. It depends on what i'm playing and how i'm playing it but I usually do use headphones. I just want a pair that I like and that won't break. Thats why i'm looking at the Beats PRO and the Pioneer HDJ 2000's.

Btw...I can get the beats PRO's for about $260 instead of that ridiculous overprice of $400.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 4:44 pm
Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Just got them two weeks ago. They are excellent. Very loud, very clear. Keeps outside noise out. Fit snug on my head. Very adjustable.

I own a pair of Pioneer SEDJ-5000, AKG K240 (two pairs) and Sony MDR-V6s. I like these Audio-Technica's the best.

Edit: Oops. Sorry City, missed the part about you looking for metal-only build headphones. IMHO, go for the Pioneers, bro...

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 3:54 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Like you City I to seem to always break my headphones. I recently bought a of AKG's, they sound great, fit well and seem to be bullet proof!! I've had this pair for almost a year and for me that's a record. Might wanna check them out.

Huey

What model of AKG?

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 3:56 am
32%