Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: External MIDI sync/clock support - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

As my DJ setup get's more advance I now find the need for VDJ to send MIDI clock so that I can sync external hardware to it. Notice I said "external hardware" so rewire is not the solution in this case (but "Thanks" for adding it). I know that VDJ does Video; can it send/receive SMPTE time code? The Developers really need to add MIDI sync (send/receive) to the program. I know that NI Traktor has the ability to send MIDI clock out but I really like VDJ so I am trying to remain a loyal customer. I have seen quite a few post going back a few years requesting this feature so "COME ON GUYS MAKE IT HAPPEN" :-)
Also please add more than 12 samples! Perhaps implement some type of bank switching. I want to trigger more samples from an external keyboard or MIDI pad.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 8:40 pm

Posted Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 9:21 pm
zambariPRO InfinityMember since 2010
+5 on midi clock output.
I know many people are happy with vdj as rewire master but I personally don't benefit from it at all (I route its signal through Ableton via soundflower and live needs access to the soundcard so it can't be a slave). It would be really sweet to sync !

Posted Mon 24 Jan 11 @ 9:36 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Many pluses on that....

++++

Joey...

Posted Tue 25 Jan 11 @ 10:30 am
johnnDPRO InfinityMember since 2010
+++. This would allow you to easily compete with bridge

Posted Tue 22 Feb 11 @ 5:35 pm
cwflukePRO InfinityMember since 2007
+++++++100000

With Ableton Live, if you use Rewire, it turns into a slave and disables any remote controllers, such as the Novation Launchpad, which is used to control clips. When running Virtual DJ as the master, VDJ doesn't have the ability to send clip control information, so you have to use the mouse to click on the clip to play it.

With MIDI SYNC, you would be able to provide Ableton Live (or any other system) the tempo to follow but you would still be able to control Ableton Live directly with controllers designed for Ableton.

I just can't believe that Atomix spent the time to write the Rewire protocol into VDJ and won't spend a fraction of the time to make a simple MIDI SYNC plugin.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 11 @ 11:53 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 01 Mar 11 @ 3:34 am
+1

VDJ needs to keep up ! ...Traktor now has the bridge for Ableton wich looks awsome ! Lets get that sort of thing happening.....MIDI Sync is a good start tho .. To just be able to send MIDI clock from my DJM 800 BPM Engine from vinyl into VDJ to Sync it up ... as it does do this for ableton, same same ...a nice feature to add :-) ...OR did i mention bridge ??? LOL

CB

Posted Sat 05 Mar 11 @ 12:47 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can rewire to ableton...

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 6:04 am
Yea but Rewire And the Traktor bridge are 2 different things .....I was refering to more how Abelton slot view goes were the browser is ....not much fun switching between windows ...OR practical to have 2 monitors....and the way the rewire works at moment is prety useless VDJ should be the slave !!! ...seems its just a gymic at moment !!!

My main point is to have MIDI Clock anyhows so as to be able to sync to external MIDI clock signals (OR vise versa) ...like the other posts all mention !

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 5:14 pm
Indeed they are.

As far as I know, the Ableton bridge is with SSL, not Traktor.

I'm simply saying that rewire is available, and that for talking to Ableton rewire > MIDI clock. It's also obviously not useless.

As for MIDI clock you'll get no argument from me, especially if you search on the subject ;)

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 8:56 pm
Oh yea it is serato LOL ME BAD ! ..watched the video demo at 4 in morning and was very drunk !!! HA HA

Posted Sun 06 Mar 11 @ 10:10 pm
can''t you just rewire into abelton then send the midi clock from there to your mixer, although it may not work very well, as I just tried it the other day but it was incredibly hard to keep my live clips in time, a bit off topic but why cant you control abeltons tempo via timecode I find syncing boring...

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 10:01 am
For those commenting that you can REWIRE to ABLETON, yes you can rewire, BUT........the issue is that when you REWIRE to ABLETON, controllers for ABLETON, such as the Novation Launchpad and Akai APC20/APC40, DO NOT WORK! The only way to get Ableton to sync with another system and still use the ABLETON controllers, you have to use MIDI CLOCK to SYNC and CAN NOT USE REWIRE.

For those posting about searching or the MAPPING within VDJ that says MIDI_CLOCK, no one has ever posted that this works or how it works or if someone has actually gotten it to work.

My point was that ABLETON was an example. Let's switch it, I need to connect a Korg Electribe ESX to the system with MIDI CLOCK sync. No REWIRE support available. The analog beat detection on the Electribe has a really bad time with intricate songs so that only leaves MIDI CLOCK. How about a Roland SP-555? Any of the AKAI MPCs? All are groove systems that need MIDI CLOCK sync.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 10:03 am
You make it so VDJ does not take over controls thus meaning you can use use your controllers with Ableton. But yes I know it still leaves VDJ as the master when it should be the slave......... It's just a simple registry hack.

Hope that helps somewhat
Huey

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 10:17 am
MIDI Clock is now supported in v7.0.3, check the release changelog ;)

Also as per the above post, VDJ has a method of allowing MIDI devices to work with the rewire slave, so the post by cwfluke about not being able to use rewire is in fact incorrect.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 10:52 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Let's clarify the MIDI Clock and ReWire issues --

First - VirtualDJ is a MASTER - do not plan on it becoming a Slave application for MIDI Clock or ReWire anytime soon.

ReWire and Hardware Controllers - VirtualDJ will not connect to a controller that is already used by another application.
Simple work around (until we make it a selection process in the Mapper engine - which we have discussed and will be doing)

1. Open VirtualDJ and go to the Config -> Mappers tab
  2. Click the button to the right of the controller list drop-down
  3. Click on the Use MIDI Devices option so that it becomes UNCHECKED
  4. Open Ableton and let it grab the controllers it is configured for
  5. Return to the Mapper tab and select to Use MIDI Devices - allowing VirtualDJ to grab the controllers not in use
  6. Close the Config dialog

MIDI Clock -
The MIDI Clock implementation is just that - it sends MIDI Start, MIDI Stop, and the MIDI TimeStamp for tempo calculation by the receiving device. We wanted to get a basic MIDI Clock functioning since we have had it in the SimpleMIDIWrapper for so long but not working. This doesn't mean we won't possibly expand it in a later release. But we needed to make sure we got the basics functioning first.

It was easier to remove it from the wrapper and put it as a registry entry for now.

The way the registry entry works is if you simply put - all - in the field then VirtualDJ will send the MIDI Clock information to all MIDI devices.
If you want it to go to a specific device then you need to put the device name as identified by the system. Recommend downloading the MIDITrace tool ( http://www.virtualdj.com/download/miditrace.exe ) and use the name as reported there. You can also use virtual MIDI devices like Maple or LoopBe if you want to link 2 applications on the same machine together and you don't have a hardware MIDI device.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 11:17 am
@beatbre, ABLETON disables control surfaces when it is in rewire slave mode.

@SBDJ, AWESOME! It wasn’t clear there was a new release two days ago. From everything I have seen with my ABLETON and VDJ systems, and on ABLETON’s forum, is that this isn’t a VDJ issue when it comes to REWIRE, it is an ABLETON issue. ABLETON disables control surface when in REWIRE SLAVE mode. Simply having VDJ pass midi to ABLETON would be ok if there was a way to configure the control surface in ABLETON. My point was mainly that simply having REWIRE doesn’t fix the need for a good MIDI CLOCK feature.

@cstoll, thanks for finally providing something that actually might work, I’ll play with that on my MAC. Also, let’s be clear, ABLETON cannot be a rewire slave and have control surfaces enabled; there are many posts in ABLETON’s forums about this.

What everyone is looking for, which is not in the WIKI, but is in the release notes as SBDJ pointed out, is the value of:

SendMidiClockTo

Instructions for registry mods is http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/RegistryValues.html.
Release notes for 7.0.3 are http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VirtualDJv7.0.3.html.

So hopefully this will work. I will have to try my different components with this to see how effective it is.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 5:27 pm
awsome nice to see some progress with this ....

its all a bit technical for me LOL ......

1 Question tho ....is VDJ able (or going to be) to receive MIDI clock (IE from my DJM800s ..BPM engine) so as to be able to sync to an external sound source ...(IE vinyl) ?? for example in ableton you can select external and it keeps in time quiet well with a record playing on a deck !

sorry for my lack of Knowledge :-\

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 5:54 pm
brickrjc wrote :
awsome nice to see some progress with this ....

its all a bit technical for me LOL ......

1 Question tho ....is VDJ able (or going to be) to receive MIDI clock (IE from my DJM800s ..BPM engine) so as to be able to sync to an external sound source ...(IE vinyl) ?? for example in ableton you can select external and it keeps in time quiet well with a record playing on a deck !

sorry for my lack of Knowledge :-\

The answer a few posts up is that VDJ will always be the MASTER (time keeper/tempo). This means that it will not receive MIDI clock.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 11:00 pm
31%