Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: External MIDI sync/clock support - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

cwflukePRO InfinityMember since 2007
@cstoll, well I tried several things and VDJ never sends MIDI CLOCK out to any external MIDI device.

Simple VDJ test: VDJ --> MOTU Ultralite --> Roland SP-555
Put "all" under "SendMidiClockTo"
VDJ saw SP-555 pads being pressed, so MIDI from SP-555 was good
SP-555 never saw clock

Simple ABLETON test: ABLETON --> MOTU Ultralite --> SP-555
Enabled SYNC to Ultralite (MIDI Port)
ABLETON saw SP-555 pads being pressed, so MIDI from SP-55 was good
SP-555 SAW clock and synced correctly, so MIDI clock through MOTU Ultralite to the SP-555 worked

I sniffed the MIDI packets. VDJ never sends to any MIDI port on the system.
The Ultralite port is labeled "MIDI Port" in the system. I changed "all" to "MIDI Port" under "SendMidiClockTo"
VDJ saw SP-555 pads being pressed, so MIDI from SP-555 was good
SP-555 never saw clock

So, as per the instructions given, and using a hardware MIDI port to eliminate any MIDI software mapping issues, as far as I can tell, it doesn't work on a MAC.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 11 @ 11:47 pm
For something that everyone said was working, it sure is lonely when the rubber meets the road. For those that say it works, show us the configuration that has worked. So far I have gotten only speculation that it is supported because it is in the release notes but after testing and asking for specific answers all I get is:

-NO more responses in this thread
-NO response from cstoll in a private message to him asking for clarification on syntax
-NO response from the help desk ticket opened with Atomix
-NO response from anyone in the MAC thread of this actually working in real life

I respectfully request that the title of this thread be changed from "[SUPPORTED]" to "[WE THINK IT'S SUPPORTED, WE JUST CAN'T SAY FOR SURE]"

Posted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 4:55 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have been looking into this issue and wanted to make sure I was 'right' before posting anything or respond to your ticket.

So the answer is -

Yes, the PC version is working correctly as outlined. However, it seems the Mac version is not properly connecting with the Mac MIDI environment. That is why you are having problems - you are using a Mac correct?

So, we will need to investigate further on where the 'disconnect' is in the code. Sorry for the incorrect communication originally and I will change the thread label.

Can I close your ticket?

Posted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 7:10 pm
cstoll, thanks for confirming that the MAC version is not working. If you need someone to test anything, please let me know as I do have the necessary tools and devices to assist in any way. I am on a MAC.

As far as the ticket, that is your call, but from my perspective the issue is still there and has not been resolved. I would hate for this to go into a black hole and six months down the road have to ask the question again.

Posted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 9:17 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It won't go into a black hole - it is on my watch list and already sent forward to the developers. But, I will leave the ticket open. :)

Posted Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 11:14 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 4:53 pm
cioce wrote :
To have a fast way to set midi clock in VDJ 7.0.3 the last VDJ Reg Tool it's very helpful because it auto scan midi devices http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/2170/Registry_Tool.html ;)

Awesome, thanks for that!

However, the MAC version of the Reg Tool hasn't been updated and is currently at 4.0.2 on that link so even if SendMidiClockTo was working on a MAC (which it isn't) the tool hasn't been updated for the MAC to easily be able to do that.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 5:54 pm
dJdAbPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Can't get it working on a PC. I have selected my midi out in Registry Editor (Audio 8), have my midi out on the Audio 8 connected to my midi in on my drum machine. I have my drum machine set to external clock but nothing (btw... my drum machine is set up correctly - trouble shooted earlier with an clock out from another machine and it worked). Do I need to add something to my definition file or device file?

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 7:21 pm
cstoll wrote :
It won't go into a black hole - it is on my watch list and already sent forward to the developers. But, I will leave the ticket open. :)

Month one down, the outline of a hole is now visible and there is a shade of grey starting to form in the circle.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 11 @ 4:52 pm
Here's a little bit of light on the rewired controller issue - sort of, but maybe not...

I was able to use Reason to play some drum machine loops:
First I made my rack in Reason with a redrum programmed with several loop patches ,
then configured the reason midi input to just the port my drum machine was on (only used as a controller for the nice big buttons), mapped the pads to the patches and the play buttons, and saved the file.
I closed reason, opened vdj, then reopened reason and the file I made.
For whatever reason, vdj didn't pick up my drum machine (akai xr-20) as a controller, but still got my mixtrack ok.
Then i was able to enable an aux/rewire input on one of the vdj tracks and voila, hit a pad on my xr20 and reason synced the drum loop perfectly to the beatgrid in vdj.

Not sure why this works in reason and not ableton, but at least proves that this particular controller issue is with ableton as a slave.

Also, I am running vdj 7.04 on a Win7 x64 PC and midi sniffing still shows vdj is NOT spitting any midi out. :(

Posted Thu 09 Jun 11 @ 4:31 pm
vjapuPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Here is my 2cents worth on MIDI and VDJ.

Great to know that VDJ supports MIDI but why only as a master? What if you have two laptops running VDJ at a gig. One needs to be master and one needs to be slave or both need to slave off another MIDI device supplying clock.

Can anyone suggest the best method to synchronise two instances of VDJ on two laptops given the current MIDI limitations?

My guess is we cant.

It was suggested to me by VDJ that we use 6.1.2 which has the old multi instance option but for the life of me I cant get it working. We connect two laptops with crossover cable. Ping OK. Multi Instance - DEAD. Wireshark shows VDJ sending nothing over the wire at all. I ended up going back to V7 as V6 on my Win7 laptop seems to shit all over my DJ Trim setup and audio was unusable. Upgrade to V7 and audio problem went away.

So now I am stuck. V6 has multi-instance support but shits my sound. V7 has no multi-instance support but no MIDI slave option but works well sound wise.

One option would be to run all decks on one laptop but that not how we have our gear setup for varyious reasons. It could be done though

Any ideas or tips greatfully received

Posted Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 5:06 pm
vjapuPRO InfinityMember since 2010
anyone from VDJ able to comment on the addition of MIDI slave to VDJ or the old multi instance synchronisation functionality that disapeared between v6 and v7?

pls

Posted Tue 14 Jun 11 @ 4:54 am
Wow, after all this time still no MIDI Out support. I have tried and tried to get this to work but to no avail. A real simple setup: Laptop running VDJ (lastest Version 7.x) > LoopBe1 (virtual MIDI driver)> MIDI USB Dongle> Roland MC909 (set as slave). I'm about to throw in the towel on this. I just don't understand why this has been so hard to implement since MIDI has been around since the 80's! If the software can receive all types of MIDI control messages from external controllers what gives? Looks like I am going to have to go elsewhere in order to get simple MIDI clock out :-(

Posted Mon 11 Jul 11 @ 10:24 pm
Month four down, the hole is large, black, and is now sounding like a tornado from all the suction into the vacuum it has created. Only two more months before I can officially say that the fix to MIDI CLOCK for MAC has gone into a black hole!

Posted Fri 15 Jul 11 @ 3:30 pm
tomo767PRO InfinityMember since 2011
I wont lie that sounds all a bit complex to me. My original aim was to connect two PC's via network to send a Midi Time clock to my DMX software to trigger certain light shows ........

(What I ended up doing)

Set my DMX software to activate upon certain letters and numbers pressed on my keyboard . THEN
bought myself a secondary Wireless PC Keyboard (re-numbered all the buttons color/number) EG. 5 yellow, 12 blue etc then added a comments column in VDJ next to my Video ....

ARTIST TITLE COMMENTS BPM PLAY COUNT

Micheal Jackson Video Mix 12 BLUE 128 1000+ :)

So all i do now is press play and (12 BLUE) .

BAM! AUDIO & VIDEO & DMX ALL PLAYING (Just need to make sure i don't leave the pitch control UN-centered)

Posted Tue 17 Jul 12 @ 8:05 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
What DMX software are you using?

Posted Tue 17 Jul 12 @ 9:48 pm
pOpYDJPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey.

I am also have tried to connect: VDJ (7.x on Windows 7 x64) -> USB Midi cable -> NI Maschine. Without success :-(
The machine is sold now and ill have Traktor pro and the F1 controller.
Will try it tomorrow and come back to this thread.

cu
pOpY

Posted Wed 29 Aug 12 @ 2:33 pm
Hey.

It doesnt work. Here is my setup:

* Midilink USB Cable -> connected to Notebook with Windows 7 x64 & VDJ 7.0.5b
* I/One Midi USB Converter -> connected to Notebook with Windows Vista & Traktor Pro
* Midilink Cable & I/One USB Adapter are connected both together

SendMidiClockTo is set to "all", Midilink green led is lit up if ill press "play" in VDJ.
But the Midiclock never arrives in Traktor Pro :-(
Also set SendMidiClockTo "Midilink" device has the same result.
To test if the setup/cables works i have used 2x MidiOX (on every Notebook).
This works and the midi data arrives on the other Notebook.
if ill use VDJ as master and midi-ox as slave there is no input data in MidiOX :-(

So it seems VDJ sends something but wrong data?

Please let me know your thinkings.

cu
pOpY

Posted Fri 31 Aug 12 @ 5:50 am
No one ;(

Posted Sun 09 Sep 12 @ 7:30 am
thanks as I asked the question a long time ago happy to see others are in the same boat. I cant wait to see what they come up with next..

Posted Thu 13 Sep 12 @ 1:52 am
63%