Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Big debate about what will happen now that Technics 1210s are gone

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 1:43 pm
This debate is nothing new - it's been happening for years!

First there was only vinyl and decks with no pitch controls. Then came the SL1200.

Then came the CD, closely followed by DJ CD players (I remember Dakeyne demonstrating the Technics SL-P1200 at a DMC show).

Then came MP3s and computer DJ software (my first experience of this was Jorgen Hedberg demonstrating 'Digital 1200SL' at PLASA).

Now we have huge amounts of choice in USB MIDI controllers and even standalone media players that can play from hard drives.

There will always be people who cling to whatever came before, or who prefer 'the feel' of one particular media.

There will always be others who embrace new technology and move with the times.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 2:06 pm
I'm not a turntablist and what I'm about to mention may seem blastphemous to some, but... there are other manufacturers that make some very good turntables. Beside the Tech's are built like tanks and last forever, it may be another generation before the effects are widely felt. And by then many of the up-and-comers may have learned on less-expensive control units. So... the world should continue to spin.
Or maybe this is a sign... the end may be nearer than we think.

: )
T

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 2:08 pm
I sold my 1210's when I went all CD in 1994 and I haven't looked back since.

I then sold my Denon dual CD players in 1999 when I moved to HDD and it got even better!

Although playing music from turntables has a "romantic" feel to it I guess things have moved on in the mainstream. There are a pair of 1210's under the DJ booth in the club I work in that haven't been dusted in years.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 2:21 pm
This is weird,

1. I got shot of my 12's when is used a pair of str8 150's and never looked back

2. CDJ is new king

3. When was the last time you saw a proper turntable in a booth, not in UK and not in Europe or Middle East can tell you that.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 3:45 pm
Technics may stop producing turntables but, they would still be visible in clubs. The Pros use them for DMC, Club Djs and also Mobile djs use them. They last a life time because they are built soo tough. There are millions of used technics that still work just like they did since day one. . They day that needles are not being produced, Then you can actually say that the turntable is dead..

fact.. More people buy technics used than buying a new pair because they last soo long. Maybe thats why they are not being produced anymore. Too many used turntables that are still working from the 80's and 90's

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 5:21 pm
I don't think that the demise of SL-1200's is going to have any kind of dramatic effect other than the skyrocking prices for second hard units.

The thousands upon thousands decks are not going to disappear anywhere, and since A) the excisting SL-1200's have a very long lifespan B) vinyl and even TCV is gradually phasing out, it is very likely they excisting units are going to serve as long as there is any kind of demand for them.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 7:47 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round......

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 8:21 pm
I have a turntable in my microwave.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 11:59 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
djrobinhamilton wrote :
I have a turntable in my microwave.

Good one, that makes you a "wavie" welcome to todays technology.

Just had this discussion on Facebook.

This was the convo:
#
Rick Hodgkins Technology waits for nobody...
Nobody is twisting your arm.
October 28 at 6:40pm · LikeUnlike
#
‎@Rick that's like saying people who like driving stick aren't up with technology. It's about feel and control, especially since most people using turntables at this point are using control vinyl for stuff like Serato anyway!
October 28 at 7:11pm · LikeUnlike
#
Rick Hodgkins
Hey Mike, been a while hasn't it...
Analogies are funny in their own way no?
But what would a stick be without a supercharger?
So if what you are saying is true, why are all the 1200 guys flocking to the Dicer Cue Point and Looping DJ Controll...er?
I mean really now... the 1200 with time code is nothing but a jog wheel with pitch control, and low and behold the play/stop button works.
Now add a Dicer and what have you got besides a midi controller in disguise? I mean really, I am a full believer in hands on mixing, but vinyl is and never will be what it was and if you want to call yourself a vinylist for the sake of it fine.
But...I'm a dumb ass...so why does that dj never change his records???

Trust me, the vinylists want it sooo bad, but the just refuse to shed the "image" thing.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 7:23 am
Come on Rick, everybody knows you get more speed from a Turbo not a Supercharger. Superchargers are limited by how fast the motor can can turn. Turbos's well theres no limit cause they run off the exhaust, which is endless.................Lol!!

Huey

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 7:36 am
But a charger boost is immediate, no lagging build up.

What bothers me personally, is these guys want to bash anybody who isn't a vinylist with tags like wavie and microwave dj etc..
But, unless they are using real vinyl with no computer, they really can't wave the purist flag that most of them do.

Now they use computers and force the tables against their will to control software (even the tables complain about this) and now they are adding gadgets to make the tables full blown midi controllers.

Now please cut the shit, its beyond old now.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 7:43 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Wot no Nitrous Oxide ? cummon boys and girls get with the up to date program. Use your Supercharger to kick start your Turbo, NOX on the octaine and microwave your vinyl. VDJ IT!!!!!!

Daz

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 7:58 am
well i started on vinyl back in 1988 think my first decks were a citronic hawaii i then started moving to cd i think in 1991 2/3 years later i was fully on cd that lasted untill 2000 ish i then started to go mp3/laptop based but also started using vinyl again but only in the clubs as vinyl was the main format for promo companies at the time i used vinyl until 2004 and decided at that point it was to much carrying 4 or 5 boxes of 12" singles to every gig so then went cd/laptop based but i have been fully laptop based on mobile gigs for 3 years now and in clubs for around 18 months definatly no looking back although i do still have my technics sl1200 ltd(the original gold technics) i would never sell them or my vinyl and i do occasionally have a play at home

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 8:03 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
LMAO. Talk about hanging on to things. I just remembered I still have a Citronic Kennet and a Thames 2 console in the loft. Soon to be displayed at a museum near you.

The Thames 2 had Vinyl autocue and could automix "ISH" Boy did I get a slaggin off for buying it.

The Kennet had two Pioneer record decks a central mixer, twin 10 band graphic eq, Twin 250W amps and a Poineer cassette deck

Oh happy days.

Daz

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 8:10 am
I would like to go back to my previous statement, I have and work in many a venue through out the UK ranging from privately owned clubs to pub chains such as Yates and can't remember the last time I saw a proper turntable. Timecode in a normal club just isn't accommodated for in the UK and know one still uses vinyl only!!! As the tracks aren't available.

I think the person that started this thread was having a laugh at us because in light of the equipment we all use to DJ from each weekend I think most if not all can say it doesn't involve a turntable and hasn't done for more than a decade.

Ibiza, Tenerife, Cyprus, Middle East - no turntables there either unless specifically requested by some big shot.

In fact whilst in the Middle East I ask for some used turntables and couldn't get any as they were fazed out before it got going over there so there weren't any kicking about.

For me, old skool now is a pair of DN 1800F's or similar e.g. any dual deck CD player.

Much respect to those in venues that are using Tech's and timecode, must be great fun to have a decent residency "and that's what it would have to be" but I'll tell you now there aren't any clubs in the UK that have them for guests to use unless the big shot that requested it and then there hired in for the night from a PA hire company or disco company etc

All CDJ everywhere you go, in fact I thought that was old skool, using CDJ with proper CD's, worked with a DJ last year who was doing just that. To be honest I didn't class him as a proper DJ as he wasn't both CD and Digital. Either this or he was at a low level or had just started up and was just an opportunist; have to say his collection was a disgrace. When I was a lad n used CD my collection was perfect and categorised. As it should be

This is a fast moving industry and improvments are made each year to the gear and you tend to get dragged along.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 8:15 am
In the defense of "purest" dj's, those who steal software and music and with a two bit laptop connected with a 1/8" patch cord loading playlists on auto ARE the problem that impact the rest who do it right.
It's too easy to score a wedding and make big bucks operating just this way oddly enough.

but not to stray too far off the subject...just needed some balance after my all out assault on the purest dj hang ups that take aim at those who don't use antiquated technology...if you feel me on that

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 9:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)