Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 9

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I know it's not the same software - but your previous comment implied that it was the hardware that's changed.

Posted Mon 16 Aug 10 @ 4:32 pm
cstoll wrote :
groovindj wrote :
we expect it to do what was shown.

Why shouldn't we?

Because it's not the same software.

Yes, but the software include with the VMS4 is Virtual Dj, and on the manual of VMS4 we can read :
"9. TOUCH STRIPS - The touch strips are user assingnable to numerous actions, e.g. effects control, song scrolling, browser scroll, etc."

so i hope a solution exist. I tried many "action" but i don't find a solution with VDJ Script.

Wee wait from Atomix a magic "action" in the Script

Thanks !

Posted Mon 16 Aug 10 @ 4:52 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
We did not write the manual - there are several edits in the manual that still refer to the other software features.

There is no magic script.

And correct - there are things in the guts that changed - as well as AA choosing a different software.

It is not going to happen anytime soon. You can sit here and burn up this thread all you want. You can burn up the AA threads all you want. It will not be changing the fact that is it not possible to be done on the touch strips.

Like I said - if you can make it happen then great - you got the tools in VDJScript to try. But as the person that spent the time doing all the integration of the VMS4 into VirtualDJ and the one that discovered that with the resolution of the touchstrips and the way the internal signaling of the touchstrips works - it is not possible to use with the browser scrolling.

Next question ...

Posted Mon 16 Aug 10 @ 8:20 pm
cstoll wrote :
We did not write the manual - there are several edits in the manual that still refer to the other software features.

There is no magic script.

And correct - there are things in the guts that changed - as well as AA choosing a different software.

It is not going to happen anytime soon. You can sit here and burn up this thread all you want. You can burn up the AA threads all you want. It will not be changing the fact that is it not possible to be done on the touch strips.

Like I said - if you can make it happen then great - you got the tools in VDJScript to try. But as the person that spent the time doing all the integration of the VMS4 into VirtualDJ and the one that discovered that with the resolution of the touchstrips and the way the internal signaling of the touchstrips works - it is not possible to use with the browser scrolling.

Next question ...

Ok, Thank you for this explanation

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 2:58 am
Here's a funny thing:

On the AA forum a few days ago, someone from AA posted a message saying that we should telephone AA if we need support, rather than post messages on the forum - because AA always prefer to deal with things on the phone.

Today, Simon Fletcher from AA UK sales/support has posted a YouTube video saying that if we have any problems we should post messages about it on the AA forum.

What's that saying about one hand not knowing what the other is doing?

ROFL

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 5:25 am
Judging by many of the threads on the AA forum, it doesn't paint a good picture. I know many people will only post complaints but there are so many issues around poor quality and that is not good. Even the AA staff are contradicting themselves and the manual is not very accurate. I have been refunded and will wait for the Denon.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 6:30 am
Judging by many of the threads on the AA forum, it doesn't paint a good picture. I know many people will only post complaints but there are so many issues around poor quality and that is not good. Even the AA staff are contradicting themselves and the manual is not very accurate. I have been refunded and will wait for the Denon.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 6:30 am
The Denon will be fine for VDJ, but it's being promoted as a four decker.

It has four mixer channels and controllers that can be A/B switched to control
four decks - but it's only got two stereo channels of computer audio.

[confused]

I've got AA coming to see me in person now, so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 7:06 am
groovindj wrote :
The Denon will be fine for VDJ, but it's being promoted as a four decker.

It has four mixer channels and controllers that can be A/B switched to control
four decks - but it's only got two stereo channels

[confused]

Good point I think a lot of people are missing that fact. Hmmm, now I'm confused, Lmao!!

Huey

I've got AA coming to see me in person now, so hopefully we'll get somewhere.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 8:47 am
Remind Simon to give me a call... Need to get things organised at this end before he comes.

Roy

Posted Tue 17 Aug 10 @ 9:37 am
<chirp> <chirp>

Posted Wed 18 Aug 10 @ 2:41 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
How do you assembly four decks to the VMS4 on upcoming virtual dj 7? That is interesting. Another option could be to use my old two xp-10s mapped to 3rd and 4th deck and to vms4 mixer channels?

Posted Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 4:44 am
GSLGSLPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi.
I just read all the posts and it seems like there is a lot of different ways how to set up/use the DJ gear.
I got my first VMS4 at 4 of august and used it at a club the very same evening.
I do 4 gigs a week with it and it's still working just fine.
Except for the left play switch, but that's fixed and I also got my second VMS4 that works 100%.

Regarding some of the issues in earlier posts:
- The Gain and EQ will effect the PFL and thats exactly how it's supposed to be.
Otherwise you can't match the Gain and EQ of to songs before mixing.

- The mystery with the PFL disappeared when I remapped CH1_PFL to CH4_PFL = nothing.

- The lack of VU meter/channel is a drawback, but I set the master once (40-50%) and then use the gain to
set every song to 0db. Then I prefer to see the level of each channel instead of the maser output.
Then I know that I have some headroom to raise the master a little bit if necessary.

- HP output quality seem to be OK with Pioneer HDJ-2000, even that I always has the Cuemix turned all the way to CUE.
But this is the way to go as to match the gain of both songs, so I don't really know why there is a Cuemix anyway.

- Play buttons seem to flicker to the beat. I tested to pitch a song +/- 25% and the flicker also changed according to the beat.

- Have you guys tried the 10-times MIDI speed?
It's like with Numark V7 and NS7.

- How to dismount the jogwheel. There are 4 screws on the bottom of the case just under the jogwheel.
Unscrew and you'll get the jogwheel in your hand.
This is actually a really nice design as it's service friendly.
Wish they had done the same thing with the cue/play/pause buttons, as the play switch will ware out for sure.

- I've tested both the Mic inputs with a Shure SM58 and it sounds just fine.

- BUT! On my first gig I had a LED-lamp (PAR-56 5mm RGB) connected to the same power socket as the VMS4 and my laptop.
When I disconnected the LED-lamp the VMS4 lost connections with VDJ.
I have tried it several times with the same result.
So be careful if you disconnect anything from the same socket as the controller during a gig.

Best regards
GSL / Lasershow.se
Sweden

Posted Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 8:32 pm
The only problem I had with my VMS4 was the Micophone channels the sound was totally distorted I was using Low impendance Mics including a Shure Sm58 ,
I reported this on the VMS4 forum and I was told that my Low impedance mics did not mach the VMS4 as it has High impedance output ..Strange I thought as most DJ'S use Shure Sm58s and i alway though that most high impedane micophone were preety low end kit ... However he suggested I get an Impedance matcher or switch to transform low to high,
So I have tested his idea and here is my result :

The impedance adapter bought in Maplins about 12 euro(8uk pounds) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12151

I plugged in the adaptor into the Xlr of mic channel one through the combi jack input as the adaptor has a jack end,
I noticed a hum from the when I turned up the mic gain with or without the microphone plugged into the other end then I proceeded to try the microphone for volume and Eq but most important to see if my big distortion problem had gone,
The impedance adapter was set to HIGH impedence and the result was a major difference the volume was as loud if not a little louder then the music channels levels,

before it struggled to match the sound music levels and it sounded distorted and muffey,
The eq seems a lot chrisper aswell
As it was a big club I was doing the hum really didn't matter but Im not sure how the hum will sound in a bar or in a moblie gig , that said the hum is most likely from the Adapter itself Im guessing its not the most high end of kit.

So if the hum was gone and the stupid adapter was not sticking so far out the back of the VMS4 I would be totally happy of course I would have been even more happy if the input matched the Shure Sm58 microphone or any of my low impedence micophones in the first place,
maybe a future batch of the unit could have a high/low switch.

I would hope I could track down a good High impedence microphone then I would not need an adapter but this is only a guess on my part maybe the adapter does more than if you just stuck a high impedance mic into the channel .

Anyone know of a good type of high impendance micophone ?
most I have come so far across are very cheaply built .

Posted Thu 19 Aug 10 @ 11:55 pm
@Groovindj, were you the 1 that just meet with an AA Rep, if so how did it? If your allowed to give out that info as am im intrested in their reaction to all the feedback they've gotten thus far.

Thanks for your time and info
Huey

P.S. its been quite in here, ill take that as everythings good.........

Posted Sat 21 Aug 10 @ 8:33 am
It's not happened yet - been arranged for Tuesday.

Posted Sat 21 Aug 10 @ 1:06 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I am sure they will make things right for you.

Posted Sat 21 Aug 10 @ 5:20 pm

Posted Sat 21 Aug 10 @ 5:40 pm
On the Rmx there is a button called pitch the effect it has when you hit it is it slowly brings the pitch back to it's original bmp it there a way I can have the same in the vmd4 the only way o can figure out how to do this is by pulling the pitch level up to match the original pitch and it brings it in line but this is not ideal as you can over step the mark and a track can be speeded up or down mote than you intended .. Any ideas guys?

Posted Sun 22 Aug 10 @ 9:15 am
@theWICKED,
Heres the script or verb, whatever here it is, lmao! "Pitch_Reset" ,slowly brings the pitch back to 0%. you can specify the speed in % per second (default 1% per second): 'pitch_reset 5%'

Posted Sun 22 Aug 10 @ 9:44 am
26%