Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 7

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is this expected behaviour with "Auto Headphones" set to "Automatic" ?

Roy

Posted Fri 13 Aug 10 @ 3:04 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You need to treat the mixer portion of the VMS4 as if it was a separate mixer and not tied to the software. That is why the the crossfader is not mapped to the software crossfader, volume is not mapped to built-in volumes, eqs are not mapped, etc.

Also for the Pro software ... using Auto-Headphones is pointless. Auto-headphones is only useful for people that use a single soundcard where there is a single dedicated Master Out and dedicated Headphone out - like the DJio. Also, for Pro users - if on the Config -> Options tab you have the Crossfader setting set to anything other than Disabled then you are working against the 'blended' output of the internal crossfader - you should disable this setting.

And because of the firmware changes there needs to be adjustments to the mapping - because of how they changed the firmware - and I got the firmware when you all did - which was just before we released the 6.1.2 update and I could not correct these introduced issues.

So, in the meantime (sometime before AC or during) I will release a corrected version (definition/mapping) for this unit to download and install.

But, from everyone that has updated - do you have crossfader issues or deck bleed from deck 2? After updating my unit it experienced this issue. I know its not software related as 6.1.2 works fine with the original production firmware.

Posted Fri 13 Aug 10 @ 3:30 pm
Chris,

OK. Happy with Auto Heaphones being defunked! But it was interesting that the 3.8 firmware it came shipped with tried to emulate that. Maybe that was the problem all along. Also I am presuming the changes to the mapping will prevent the deck selection when the cue button is pressed - that would make sense!

I have heard on the forums about the bleed issue. Haven't tried it myself yet but is next on my list to test.

Won't bother reporting this as an issue to AA now then as you have confirmed this as expected behaviour.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 13 Aug 10 @ 3:36 pm
Well I am not confirming the bleed issue ... it might have been a bad upload of the firmware. I just haven't rolled back to the production release firmware yet ... got to much to get ready for the DJ Expo ... but will have more time later

Posted Fri 13 Aug 10 @ 4:41 pm

My gig with the vms4 Thursday 12th august 2010 .. Sorry for the Bad sound I guess the iPhone can't handle the thumping sound system .

Posted Fri 13 Aug 10 @ 11:02 pm
Nice video... Good to see the VU's not even in the red and you get a great sound!

I've got the ADJ rep coming to see me later this week to go over the issues and he's bringing another VMS4 to try out side by side. Will hopefully be able to get in to the club and set up in there to get a proper feel of the issues.

@Chris - no crossfader bleed here. I'm only using 40W monitors but had all the volumes and gains cranked up and got no bleed.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 5:42 am
Yes the sound was really good to my ears in this club on a kickin sound system sounded as good as the pioneer mixer I unplugged, but as you know by now the only way I get a good microphone sound is through an external mixer as I reckon my unit has a fault with the mic channel total distortion even when eq'ed and low mic gain and master not pushed hard so far this is my only problem when workin 100% it's super in a club , I did think when I got it first that I would be hitting off the jog wheels and pausing the tracks in the middle of a gig buy so far I've not had that problem , just need to get a good bag for the unit I'm using a bag I bought for the ADJ quad gem light works for now ;)

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 7:11 am
Would be interested to know what your settings were... Master, Gains, Fades etc. Just to compare.

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 9:14 am
Ok thats it, I'm goin to my local dealer and placing my order!! 1: I don't use a Mic cause the we have those running into the board. 2: I would be running the VMS4 into the board as well so like others here the eq's on the unit itself would be more for effect. 3: I have never used a controller so button placement wouldn't matter besides I can remap anything, lol!!

So I will be joining the club here soon and where this other forum yall keep talking about??

Thanks for all info and heads up thus far
Huey

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 9:44 am
American Audio > Media Controllers

Just been doing some more testing in analogue mode with my SDJ1. Midilog 2 is completely distorted. I'm moving the inputs around so no levels changing, but channel 2 as really, really bad. I'm looking forward to my replacement ;-)

Roy

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 11:25 am
Maybe that's something I should check on mine.

So far I've only tried a CDJ-400 into the first channel.

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 11:42 am
OK so I tested it in analog mode.

No distortion on any of the four lines or two mics.....BUT!

I've found that the cues bleed to the output when pressed with a signal present.

Channel 2 fader leaks. I can hear audio on the output with the fader right down.

The master out seems to have a compressor on it.

Example: With everything set to read 0dB on the VU, if I then turn up the EQs, there should be a +6dB boost per EQ at the output.

That doesn't happen. Instead the VUs remain at 0dB and the output distorts and compresses.

The channel VUs (cue) reflect the boost properly.

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 1:37 pm
That's weird. I do get the VU increases which may be having an affect on my output levels as the club has no EQ on their system.

I have heard some bleed over but only on analogue. Need to test more.

Also had some weird shorting out problem. Just touching the jogwheels and in one case a channel fader caused the VMS4 to reset itself and the laptop wasn't even connected.

I'm trying to find a way to reproduce.

Roy

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 3:11 pm
cstoll wrote :
But, from everyone that has updated - do you have crossfader issues or deck bleed from deck 2? After updating my unit it experienced this issue. I know its not software related as 6.1.2 works fine with the original production firmware.

Ok ... so call me just a dumbass ... go ahead ... you all want to and not for the reason I am about to share ... :P

But in my haste of trying to help - I was thinking Deck 1 and Deck 2 .... so I had the VMS crossfaders selections on 1 & 2 .... it's really channels 2 & 3 ... dooh !!!

So, just ignore my dumbass comment!

So those going to DJ Expo ... you can tell me there, others - feel free to blast away.

Ok, time to pack and get ready to leave for Atlantic City tomorrow ... :)

Oh and those that want to modify definitions and mappings ... you can get the distributed files from here. I will be posted others later in the week - but for now - have fun.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/11850/American_Audio_VMS4.html

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 3:32 pm
Good luck with the Expo tomorrow. I'm in Benidorm for a week. It'S certainly interesting!

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 4:03 pm
dj_julienPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2006
Hi

what is the button for S_TOUCHSLIDER in the mapper ?

How is define the tactile slide? how can we use it ?

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 5:58 pm
@Roy, thanks for the link. After reading some of those I think I'll stick to this thread, seems like a lot of candy asses over there, lol!!

Thanks for your time
Huey

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 5:59 pm
Huey,

I couldn't agree more... How about this then:

ADJ Rep wrote :
All of our tech support departments PREFER and most times will only use phone calls.

The problem is that with only a US or dutch support number they do not really have a worldwide infrastructure for support.

What I like about these forums is that Atomix have have realised this and know that the best way to support a worldwide market is here! Plus you know that once a issue has been addressed there is a record of it for others use should they ever get that problem.

I'm being slammed for complaining by other forum users who think I should either just accept what I've got or return it. So how does that help AA improve their product?

I guess I've been spoilt by these forums over the last couple of years ;-)

Roy

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 4:29 am
dj_julien wrote :
Hi

what is the button for S_TOUCHSLIDER in the mapper ?

How is define the tactile slide? how can we use it ?

Good question

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 9:05 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is it true that the crossfader cannot be mapped to video xfader??

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 2:05 pm
20%