Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: For those who have their doubts... - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well was it the laptop or the desktop Luis?

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 4:55 pm

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 11:49 pm
You still don't have the 512mb you need to properly run VDJ Luis, I don't know what you are expecting.
Minimum system specs are what they are, end of story.

Does it crash on this system?

AMD XP 3000 processor
512MB Ram
160GB HDD
Win2k Professional
NO antivirus
two Xp10's controllers
one DAC-2 controller
integrated video
integrated CMedia sound card
latest service pack and drivers
using default VDJ advanced skin

This is the desktop you listed on pg 1.
I'd be interested to know if VDJ operates on this system ok.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 04 @ 12:10 pm
>Does it crash on this system? AMD XP 3000 processor/512MB Ram
yes, It has crashed on that system too. That is my desktop PC at home and I do not drag that around to gigs but do play around with that all the time.

>You still don't have the 512mb you need to properly run VDJ
>Luis, I don't know what you are expecting. Minimum system specs are what they are, end of story.

The Minimum requirement to run Virtual DJ is:
PIII 850 MhZ computer
800x600 SVGA video
DirectX compatible soundcard
128 MB RAM

The Recommended configuration is:
PIV 1.2 GhZ computer
1024x768 SVGA video
4.1 DirectX compatible soundcard
512 MB RAM

I plan to try VDJ on yet another system (Dell Dimension 3000 with an intel P4 processor / 512MB).

I still think it is either the MP3's, something to do with the XP10 and scratching, the sound card, or VDJ itself.. I will figure this out!

WirelessDJ

Posted Thu 04 Nov 04 @ 12:24 pm
The Recommended configuration is:
PIV 1.2 GhZ computer
1024x768 SVGA video
4.1 DirectX compatible soundcard
512 MB RAM

Ahh......Exactly.
This is what I call "good advice".
Pretty much a given when pushing the limits of anything.

Ram is like a supercharger, the simplest bolt on improvement you can make.

How many processes are you running and how much cpu are you using, "%" when this all starts happening?

Posted Thu 04 Nov 04 @ 2:18 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i think the team needs to up the specs for the RAM requirement on the minimum configuration, there is no way you can run this program properly on 128mb and personally from what i've seen unless your playing songs that are no longer than about 4-5 mins 256 is not enough either.
with 512 there is no problem playing songs that that are 15 mins long, (never play any songs longer than this).
as they say, RAM is cheep and it is the one thing that this program needs. buy a cheeper processor and get more RAM that is the important thing (also if you are buying a laptop make sure it doesn't have shared video memory this caused some problems on one of the systems i installed it on.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 04 @ 2:40 pm
Hi Wireless,

Your specs seem to be ok (except for the little ram).
If you really have the latest servicepacks/updates on windows, No virusscanner running in background and not other proggies running.. there are still some things you could try:

* scan your pc for viruses and disable it before using VDJ
* scan your pc on spyware (spybot for example)
* make sure your CPU stays cool enough (it can cause a crash too, certainly on AMD systems)
* select your vdj-plugins carefully (not all of them are idiot/crash-proof.. especially a lot of the VST plugins)

Posted Thu 04 Nov 04 @ 2:41 pm
>scan your pc for viruses and disable it before using VDJ
>scan your pc on spyware (spybot for example)

The laptop was purchased for a specific purpose (Dedicated for Digital DJ use only) and never put on the internet. I removed all the programs in add/remove. I ran MSConfig and got rid of all programs in the startup. It is CLEAN as a whistle.

> make sure your CPU stays cool enough (it can cause a crash too, certainly on AMD systems)

Very true! I use a laptop cooler and it really makes a difference in the temperature.

> select your vdj-plugins carefully (not all of them are idiot/crash-proof.. especially a lot of the VST plugins)

I am only using the default VDJ included effects. Does the skin make a difference??

I have had difficultly on 3 different systems. Desktop, Cube PC, Avertec laptop. The only things in common on all three are...

VDJ program itself
My mp3 collection
The two XP10's and one DAC-2

For sh_ts and giggles, I just ordered 512MB for the laptop. it should be here in a day or so. If it doesn't work I am sending the Bill to VDJ development team. hehe ;-)

What should the max load be set to?

WirelessDJ

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 1:23 am
>How many processes are you running and how much cpu are you using, "%" when this all starts happening?

Good question. Here is what I noticed.

1. when I set the max load to 'NONE' it jumps to 100% and stays until the program is closed. This is just sick!

2. when I set it to 5 or 10mn it stays around 42%, when I load a track it jumps to 100% until the scan is done. Sometimes... even if the scan is done, it stays at 100%. I have to reload the same track then it goes back to 40%

It is bizzare if you ask me. In my opinion, A dj program should not need 1/2 Gigabyte of memory for two decks but I am willing to try anything.

WirelessDJ

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 1:42 am

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 2:06 am

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 2:26 am
oh i see.. it's not windows that crashes, but it's the crashguard that pops up.

if you have tried everything what's posted in this thread, i would send an email to supprtstaff. tell them everything you have tried and that it won't solve the problem.

i hope it will solve your issue :-s

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 11:26 am
thanks. the crash guard does not kick in. They need a Debug log or something I can run along side of VDJ and monitor exactly what is going on. I am going to try more memory to see if that helps

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 12:34 pm
@WIRELESS:

if you chooce recover from the VDJ crashguard, a report is sent automatically to VDJ... :)

about the 100% cpu... that is just the way the prog works when in NO preload mode (max load=none). Its not a bug, just the program using resources as it should, but there is a fix on the way to smooth the play directly from hard-drive

Now, why do you have maxload at NONE?? Its a lot better and smoother, and less cpu use, if you set maxload to ALWAYS.. which will load the whole song into ram...
Thats the way you should have for the best performance etc for VDJ

If you play really huge mp3 files, set maxload to a limited number, say 10 mins...

hope that helps ;)

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 1:42 pm
@Wireless

- Do you use the xp10's together with the dac controller? Maybe there is a confict occuring with those 2 controllers attached. Just for a test: Use only the xp10's. If the problem stay, try the dac only. Then you know if it is the combination, the xp10's the dac or that the problem is caused by another reason.
- Set the pre load time for example on 10 minutes. All songs smaller then 10 minutes will be loaded completely in memory. There is a flaw: If you have a song larger than the max load time (10 minutes in this case) your cpu will stay at 100%. Your cpu will become quite warm and your system could become instable
- Do not set the max load time on never. In this case your cpu will stay on 100% forever.
- Analyse your songs before a gig. The load time will become shorter and it will take less resources (cpu) for each load
- Try to avoid using mp3's encoded with vbr (variable bit rate). Using these songs without analysing before will also result in 100% cpu during the complete playback of the song.

My laptop is a centrino 1.4G, with 768MB had almost never had skips or problem. I only had a complete crash:

First the playback stopped and only the skipping sound like you described started. Then VDJ stopped without any message. On that moment I had the hercules drivers running (Green skull in the systray) and my D-Vinyl attached , used as controller and sound card in Asio mode. After removing the hercules drivers and software I never had any problem again.

I use my laptop for Development purpose (Visual studio .net/ Webserver/ database server running even doing gigs!). For internet purposes (Writing this message on it at the moment). And for Gigs (VDJ + D-Vinyl as sound card and controller + Maxtor 250G external harddrive)

Good luck finding the problem
Ewout

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 3:58 pm
Well Luis i feel for you man.......but there is good news!
Its been 2 whole weeks since my last crash,ive gotten help and proof that this can work!...
Think pad P3
Had 128 ram added 512=640ram
Had 20g added 80g external drive
USB 24 bit external sound card
Ozone usb-midi workstation
"keep me cool "attitude 50 degrees approx
Using short tracks all the time (under 5 min and pre analysed)
Not doing a thing!!!when vdj is buffering
Set to power user with this guy www.Black Viper.com
Ive worked 8 nights with no problems whatsoever...well still that "memory gulp"in my case anyways, but it does not affect the performance.
Regards
Andre

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 6:00 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Hey Andre, i'm glad for this.
I'm sure the ram you added did the difference.
I also have 640 in my laptop and no craches at all.
With 128, you were using the swap file always.
Plus, i use 10+ min songs without problems, and also
i dont wait a song to load, i press play immediately...

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 6:11 pm
Wireless,

There is definitely something wrong with your system. I really don't think it's your .MP3's. I would say it may to do with your two Xp10's controllers.
CPU usage should never be that high. Mine never goes up over 45% and that is on a 1 ghz machine (have not tried my 2.4 ghz). After using the ASIO drivers for my delta44 sound card my cpu usage stays around 25 - 35%! Amazing.

Try to mix without your Xp10's and then check your cpu usage. The problem because it sounds like something obvious... maybe something is the settings for VDJ. Try different settings. Good advice about a possible conflict bet. your DAC2 and the XP10's. Maybe a USB problem? (try a usb hub).

Killabee44

Posted Sat 06 Nov 04 @ 1:39 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
@ wireless as per your post about the cpu being 100% of course it is. The second deck is analyzing the track. When it finishes it will return to a lower %. If I am wrong about it being in the process of scanning the track please let me know.

Posted Sat 06 Nov 04 @ 2:11 am
Thank you for replies

I like that the crash guard can send it to VDJ development team -- but this system is NEVER on the internet. Is there any way to save it to a file and email it to them?

there is no scanning when you have it set to none; that cpu utilization is always at 100% on my machine with VDJ.

Good news is that the 512mb memory will be here tuesday. I will set the max load time to 'always' when I get it and see if it helps.

WirelessDJ

Posted Sat 06 Nov 04 @ 12:49 pm
80%