Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: For those who have their doubts... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
So saturday night was a halloween party that I've been promoting locally for the past month.

This was the first event of my promotion company, and so everything needed to go along VERY smoothly.

Having tested VDJ for the past month, I was confident enough to use it for this event.

And it worked out great!

I played background music from 9 to 10:30 and then made them dance from 10:30 to 4:00 AM.

So that's 7 hours of VDJ running non-stop, and without any glitches.

What's more, I did all my mixing, fading, eqs, via VDJ. I only used the club's physical mixer to plug my laptop into; and I did a lot of looping, had "recursive directories" on, used a bunch of cue-points. had beatmatch activated most of the time and also had the headphones plugged into VDJ.

No crashes, no skipping, no slowdown, no nothing!

At the end of the night, a lot of people asked me "Dude, you did all that with a laptop?". It generated a lot of interest for Virtual DJ!

So I fully trust the software. If some of you encounter problems using it, it's probably your windows configuration or hardware setup.

I'm using a laptop dedicated strictly to VDJ, never connected it to the internet, and finely tuned it to enhance its performance as much as possible and to reduce any potential inteference by Windows services.

In a few days, I'll post my setup guide in the technical support forum.

Raz

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 7:22 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Congrats ! Looking forward to your post :)

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 7:32 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I wanna know all of it...
can't wait.

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 7:47 am
sounds great ;)

and dedicated clean laptop, good cooler system etc are musts, if you ask me ;) at LEAST a seperate partition for VDJ.

installing apps, freeware, surfing net, spyware etc etc will mess up your Windows system, and cause problems for any demaning app...

:)

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 2:25 pm
hello dudes !

well, i'm using VDJ and the DJ Console plugged to my computer... not a laptop.

the last time i've used it it's for a birthday party with about 100 people. i've installed all my hardware and plugged everything... we started the music mix at 11 pm and stopped a 8 am without any problems !

the most frequent problem i had before - and i solved it - was MCAfee antivirus... everytime the VDJ is accessing a file, this file is scanned by McAfee so you have strange lags, white gaps, beatlock problems ...

so when i mix, i start before an antispyware detection. i shut down all my services, i unplug my ethernet cable to be out of the Internet... and ... i turn OFF my antivirus software !

^^

Regards

---S1

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 3:30 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I'm convinced that software can be more reliable and "trusted"
than hardware from ...1997.... and this is ..strange.. in computer world, believe me.
I used other reliable software then, outdated now, Vdj is my choice for now.
The only drawback using a software based system is that both
players are hosted to a single "machine". So if the one "fail"
then both "fail" (call it crash or whatever)
A backup is always needed. (mp3player or some audio cd's)

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 4:16 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Been using VDJ for over a year now, never had an issue.
Been there done that with other programs though.
Gigging in fear sucks.
I used to carry cds and players for back up set and ready to run. Haven't done that all this year. I carry an IPOD just for safety sake, but never have had a lock or crash that forced me to use it.
That is saying alot, VDJ programmers have a lot to be proud of in this regard. It is the first time in years that I have felt so confident. And it just keeps getting better and better and better and better.........
I just wish they had more control over the crackers and hackers, that's my only beef although some other programs security is a total pain in the butt to deal with.

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 5:22 pm

==> Please post your full system specs
do you use a DAC-2?
do you use the Xp10's?
How much memory do you have?
what OS are you running?
Do you beat match tracks all the time?
what is the max load set to?
what sound card are you using?

damn it, I have not been able to 100% rely on VDJ. I love the program! it is a great -- but crashes on me from time to time. I dont know why! I have been dong the Digital DJ thing LONG BEFORE vdj or atomix existed. It all started with this PCDJ 1200sl http://pcdj.nmi.no/Produkter/SL1200/Screenshot.htm

PCDJ 1200sl
PCDJ Blue
PCDJ Red
BPM Studio
DJ Power
Mixvibes
PCDJ FX
Traktor DJ
VirtualDJ

maybe it is my system? maybe it is my mp3's? maybe it is the way I stress the program, Or maybe VDJ has a problem -- but the fact remains, it is not 100% perfect

The only two programs that I consider CRASH PROOF were...

1. PCDJ Red (original version) http://www.online4u.be/PCDJ/images/pcdj-red.jpg
2. BPM Studio http://www.feo.at/images/bpm_standard.gif

Both of the programs I have used at live gigs and although they have much less features, they are rock solid.

the good thing is that the vdj team is making progress and fixing the bugs we find and we apprecciate that!

WirelessDJ

Posted Tue 02 Nov 04 @ 11:57 pm
Custom built rackmount system:
ASUS P4P800 deluxe 478.
Pentium 4 2.6G 512K Cache 800 fsb
XP Professional OEM Version
Twin Maxtor SATA 250G drives
WD 200G IDE drive
1024 PC3200 DDR 400Mhz.
Waveterminal 192L sound card
Nvidia G-force dual head video card
NEC Dual layer DVD+/- RW
DAC 2

Back up system:
Sony Vaio GRZ630 P4 @2.4g w/512 Mb Ram
XP Home
DAC 2
Gigaport AG
WD 200G External Firewire
Plexwriter 48/24/48 Firewire

I have run this on a basic barebones laptop with 256Mb ram with no real trouble as long as I am patient with it.
I am really surprized to hear of your experience Luiz, man you have been around. You are the last one I'd figure to have been having difficulties.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 12:11 am
I am running ...

Laptop
AMD XP 2200 mobile processor
256MB Ram
60GB HDD
XP Home
NO antivirus, NO other programs loaded
two Xp10's controllers
one DAC-2 controller
Echo Indigo DJ sound card
integrated video
latest service pack and drivers
using default VDJ advanced skin

Desktop
AMD XP 3000 processor
512MB Ram
160GB HDD
Win2k Professional
NO antivirus
two Xp10's controllers
one DAC-2 controller
integrated video
integrated CMedia sound card
latest service pack and drivers
using default VDJ advanced skin

you have killer systems compared to mine.

Problems I have
It freezes sometimes when loading tracks
it crashes sometimes when scratching heavily or loading tracks
other times it just exits out for no reason no warning
sometimes it crashes and the crash guard works, other times it does not
Often the graphics will freeze up the screen and the sound will loop over and over and over until I have to pull the power cord on it.

I can't nail it down! I am NOT trashing the product I just wish I could figure it out why some people have trouble -- and others do not.

I pound on it man! I pound on it! Loops, reverse, brake, scratch, beat lock, spin back, you name it! XP10's and DAC-2. I use the product to it's potential

WirelessDJ

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 12:16 am
Right off, I'd add some ram, as much as you can actually.
I don't push it like you do, but I see a huge difference between my 2 systems running primarily because of the amount of ram. System requirements for VDJ are 516Mb MIN, beyond that it's asking for blood from a rock particularly when you push it like you do. It just plain runs out of gas man. That is what I meant by patient. Be impatient and duplicate a command and it will puke on you. Let the freeze take its course and it will recover 99% of the time.
I trust you are running the latest. I have one on 2.05 and one stuck on 1.09 still. With all the testing you do I might suggest a clean install top to bottom just to clean it out and start fresh. You just never know what kinds of conflicts might be messing things up for you.
I have one of everything also, but VDJ is all I run for audio.
But, I run VDJ along side SaxnDotty when I do karaoke and VDJ along side Tricerasoft when I do video shows. Nothing is more taxing on a system than pounding two programs doing audio and video at the same time, particularly when it involves video.
I am sure there is an answer Luiz, maybe others here have some imput also. But, ram is a key factor I believe.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 12:46 am
>Right off, I'd add some ram, as much as you can actually.
I agree! Ram for my laptop is limited, it has ONE slot for SODIMMs and a 512MB is expensive not to mention I would have an extra 256MB left over.

>Let the freeze take its course and it will recover 99% of the time.
It shouldn't freeze at all. they should prioritize the threads so that the audio never skips

>I trust you are running the latest. I have one on 2.05 and one stuck on 1.09 still.
I am 2.05 waiting on 2.06

> I might suggest a clean install top to bottom just to clean it out and start fresh.
Already done. fresh install from XP CD. wiped all the crap that came with the laptop.

>Nothing is more taxing on a system than pounding two programs doing audio and video at the same time
I note you have two Intel P4 processors while I have AMD. It shouldn't make a difference, but I wonder. I also note that you have a video card and I am stuck with shared memory of the laptop.

what skin do you use? I have noticed that some skins are MUCH slower than others. I often use the advanced skin that comes with VDJ

I Appreciate the reply. I will continue to try to document exactly what I am doing when I have a problem so I can re-produce the problem over and over for the developmen team.

WirelessDJ

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 1:00 am
Check your mail.
Don't blame the program, all these programs need ram to take what you want to give it. It's like a 800hp engine, it needs high test to go fast and keep on running. Run too lean the it stops.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 1:08 am
email me wirelessdj@comcast.net

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 1:17 am

==> Speak of the DEVIL!

VDJ just crashed again!!
I was playing "arrow-hot hot hot" on Deck A about 2 minutes in
Loaded "Around the world - ATC" on Deck B
One XP10 hooked up instead of two
started scratching with XP10 on Deck B
VDJ Graphics Froze
Deck A started skipping
All I heard was "feeling eeling eeling eeling eeling eeling"
program exited and no error message at all

More info:
VDJ 2.05 registered
Skin Digital Blue
memory in system 327MB
processor AMD Athlon XP 2800
Maximum load time is set to 10mn, also tried 5mn

I was able to reproduce this 3 times

==> Where the debug log so I can determine WHY this happens?? why didn't the crash protection kick in? Where the error log?

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 3:01 am
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I suppose it's safe to say that VDJ works great on a dedicated laptop. Unfortunately, not all of us are filthy rich. So, for those of us who had to scrape together the fundage to get a laptop and VDJ, there is one piece of sound advice contained herein. If you can't run VDJ on a dedicated laptop, shut down all those processes! Why would you need, for example, a virus scanner or firewall running in the background if you are at a venue that doesn't have an internet connection? Once you clear out a lot of crap on the systray, your system WILL run better. I ran mine for 6 hours in a test session, with very few problems, and this is NOT a dedicated laptop. There's still the EQ problem, and nothing seems to affect that.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 6:35 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
take this one step further, just Dual Boot your operating system and it is exactly the same as having a dedicated machine. one setup for everything else and one for VDJ. they are completly independent and you can use this exclusivly for vdj (and it doesn't cost you anything, except a few gigs of Hard disk space)

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 9:53 am
@ Wireless

sad to hear about that crash... got no clue to why it happens.
But dont you have a little to little ram??
I would go for more ram at least :)

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 12:38 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use VDJ with TCV 8 hrs a day in a Disco and works perfect ....no crashes ...no clicks ...NO PROBLEM

PC shuttle Cube
Athlon Xp 2800
512 memory
2 hd x 160 GB = 320 GB
dvd rw LG
Ati Radeon 9600 se
PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Maya 44 usb
VDJ with time coded vinyls

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 3:39 pm
where can see why it crashed? Is there an error log somewhere?

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 4:50 pm
40%