Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: SCRATCHING - HELP! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

micha3lHome userMember since 2006
Wy is that VDJ loses its track when I do fast scratches?

My specs are:

Intel Celeron 1.5ghz
512MB Ram
80GB HD
ESIU46DJ 1.0.16
2xTT500
2xVDJ TCV
1xDJX700 Mixer

I get 100% of timecode quality.

Has anyone encountered this?

It's not like in Serato that latency is soo real like vinyl.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 6:20 am
are u using the old or the new gen tcv's? cause the old ones definetely have a problem. your specs sound pretty decent. there's also a post somewhere in here about lowering your gain or something of the sort that helps how fast the tcv will react to your touch. if I find it i'll re-post.
the lower the buffer, the lower the latency, but the higher the demand on your pc. you need to play around with it a bit for the best performance.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 6:40 am
I fiddled with all kinds of settings... no luck...

I have the NEW TCVs

Btw, I'm using 2 x Ortofon Concorde Digitrack.

Performance is at Fastest

Latency is Auto.

Buffer 1024 (for u46 v1.0.16)

Clean Install of Windows.. Only VDJ4.1r2 running.

I don't understand why scratching get out of track and sometimes, the songs skip.

This is pretty weird. Unlike in Serato, latency and quality is right on!

Needs some help and advice here guys..

Mantahoe, do you have any problems when doing fast scratches? I would like to hear samples of you scratching.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 7:21 am
Yes, I can do fast scratches & it's definetely just like traditional vynil cause when I was setting up my performance & tcv setting I would do it with traditional vynil & compare it with the same song in mp3(vdj). I'd suggest you do the same if you can. I don't have any samples of me scratching & my skills ain't up to par but i can definetely hook up a lil something for you to hear.

Also, I don't think you'll get satisfied if your buffer is set to 1024(that just won't do it if you intend to scratch a lot). Auto is not always reliable cause this means the buffer flactuates depending on the strain of the cpu. This means that sometimes you'll grab the tcv & you don't know whether it's at 1024 or 64. I wouldn't recommend auto. Mine is permanently set at 64(2ms), that's the lowest I can go. It feels exactly like serato. I've compared them side by side. Try to lower it as much as possible for the best scratch. I have safe mode & overclock checked on mine. But this definetely varies from pc to pc.
My performance slider is set all the way to the left. My scratching is set to quality not latency. Master tempo is off(i.e. like it was when I installed 4.0). I'm at work so i can't verify this settings.

You definetly have good needles. I use the same needles & that was one of my best investments after VDJ. They made a big difference in the quality of the timecode. Wanna know one weird thing, my timecode quality is always at 0% & that's how i always use it. I don't think you can get 100% timecode quality with the new tcv's. But it works flawlessly. Backspin & scratch quality is always good.

I'll put something up on myspace then i'll let you know so you can hear it.
Good luck man. PM me if you need more help.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:31 am
thanks bro...

I'll try to do what you said.

For now. gotta sleep.. it's 11:35 pm PST.

Peace..

I'll let yah know...

btw.. what are the specs of your system?

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:35 am
P4 Hyper Threading, 3.2GHz, 1.5GB Ram.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:37 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
you should have the latency set to auto, the u46 has it own latency settings, on auto you would be using the performance of the u46 so there would be no need for vdj to has latency settings also.

set the latency in vdj to auto and try 128 in the u46

newer TCV's uncheck the RIAA pre amp in the config

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 2:14 pm
listen2 wrote :
you should have the latency set to auto, the u46 has it own latency settings, on auto you would be using the performance of the u46 so there would be no need for vdj to has latency settings also.

Am I missing something? How come I can only adjust my latency in vdj? I can't see this other option you talk about in the U46DJ. Where do I adjust it in the u46DJ?

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 3:00 pm
Forget about it, I just found it. I always used to select the U46DJ option not the ASIO option & it wasn't there. Lemme go experiment.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 3:04 pm
@listen2, you're absolutely right. I guess I never messed around more because mines been working perfectly. Auto works fine but only if you select the ASIO option in the VDJ soundcards dropdown menu. Thanks for the tip.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 3:21 pm
Quote :

Mine's unchecked.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 5:00 pm
yeah .. sorry i didnt mention exactly where the ASIO options were, i just figured you might already know.

@micha3l
did you setup like i suggested? and it still sounds bad on fast scratch? do you have other needles to try?
do you have the u46 inputs on line or phono??

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 5:51 pm
Yeah, I did what you siad.

It's actually better now and I upgraded to v1.0.18 too...

I'm using 64, but I guess I'll practice with 128. I guess it's just my computer that's slow.

I'll try to get more RAM and see.

But so far, there's an improvement.

My inputs are in Phono.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 5:57 pm
im still quite unhappy with the results of my TCV.

Still doesn't feel like real vinyl. The latency makes it suck.

Any advice on how to make it faster?

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 7:14 pm
try changing the u46 inputs to line, you will have to raise the slider in the u46 mixer as i suspect you have them low for the phono settings. For line raise the sliders all the way up. go into tc config menu, reclaibrate, it should show up as 100% with the riaa on, uncheck riaa ... then scratch

my guess and i think you said was these were newer 2nd gen tcv

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:05 pm
When did the 2nd GEN TCV came out?

I got my TCVs last month.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:09 pm
Im also worried about losing track.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 8:18 pm
I just wish somebody would read this and help me.. lol

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 11:01 pm
micha3l wrote :
I just wish somebody would read this and help me.. lol

did you put you u46 to line inputs? and calibrate
after thats done uncheck riaa, it should fast scratch way better.

if you like i will even upload a clip, so you can hear the quality

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 11:23 pm
micha3l wrote :
When did the 2nd GEN TCV came out?

I got my TCVs last month.

I'm pretty sure they're 2nd gen if you got them last month.

Posted Tue 05 Dec 06 @ 11:27 pm
36%