Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: SCRATCHING - HELP! - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

listen2,

I had the same problem and after following ur directions by changing vinyl to CD line mode, it fixed the sound output from losing track. Thanks for pointing that out. I just have one problem. When calibrating the vinyl, the starting output y-axis is a little low than where it should be(in the middle). I'm taking about the red and green signals that come in wave forms, but they have been lowered for some reason and may affect the calibration. Anyway to move the signal higher?

Posted Fri 12 Jan 07 @ 10:34 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i think you mean when you look at the green/red before you drop the needle they are just flat lines in the middle but your saying one is lower then the other. It should be fine, what you can do is increase the silence (gray area) so that you dont accidently pick up unwanted singals(your play button would flash in the skin if it was an issue). I dont fully understand the whole config settings but i have experienced in the past that if the line jumps out of the silence zone it might automaticly trigger the deck to play if you had the TCV spinning and active.

Sorry i am half asleep still, hope that made sense :)

Posted Fri 12 Jan 07 @ 3:01 pm
I have the same problem here...and I've been following all the different directions given in various threads. This post from anewsome confirms my suspicions:

Pretty soon you're going to realize that your problems are most likely caused by the fact that VDJ does not read timecode from the vinyl when it is moving backwards, only forward. From all your posts, this is what it sounds like your problem is. Fiddling with settings is not going to ever fix the fact that the program only reads positional information when the record is moving forward.

Soooo...Can I make a formal request that this "feature" gets added to future versions of VDJ?

Please please please. Don't make me go back to using Ms. Pinky (which scratches video flawlessly.)

-Josh

Posted Fri 12 Jan 07 @ 3:24 pm
Also, just to add to this:

I can't believe I'm finding out this deficiency in VDJ finally NOW after MONTHS of tweaking asio settings, and buying multiple copies of the vinyl. This is really upsetting and frustrating.

I've been meaning to say this for months, and maybe this in not the right thread for this, but this website needs a MAJOR overhaul in order to get information like this out to customers in a clear and organized fashion.

If someone could have pointed me to a F.A.Q. about this months ago, I could have saved a bunch of time and money...and mental angush.

:(

-Josh

Posted Fri 12 Jan 07 @ 3:35 pm
Experimenting with the silence settings, I don't see any significant changes with the timecode signal being picked up by noises. Putting the silence slider all the way up or down gives me the same result. The only problem is that the signal being picked up is not sensitive enough. A slight nudge to the TCV will not be read by VDJ. If it is spinning at 1-3 RPM, VDJ will not play. I have to scratch fairly hard in order for there to be response. Any way to get the senstivity up?

Posted Fri 12 Jan 07 @ 9:26 pm
Robotkid has a very significant point. I have also been frustrated by the fact that you can't "trust" the TCV's as far as position goes, and not beeing able to backspin. For me personally, these are not crucial issues, as I'm not much of a turntabelist but I have to agree that it is MAJOR FLAW of this otherwise great piece of software, not just another case of "can't please'em all".

Not only the fact that position is not read when the TCV is moving backwards, but also the effect this "unexplainable" behavior of the software is having on opinion from users as well as potenital users. Not to mention the fact that it takes a non-teamer (Anewsome) to sort this thing out, and tell people what the deal really is. I heartly agree with robotkid that these kind of things generate a significant and unneccesary lot of frustration. Some may even feel decived, and that's one feeling you really don't want to evoke among your customers.

The thing is, it just doesn't reflect well on the either the marketig of the software, the support of the software or the software itself.

Sooo......basically, TCV should still have top priority at the Dev-Team offices. Feel free to ask me if you want to know what should be next. :-)

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 12:32 am
From what I know, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the current TCV for VDJ does not have position information on the vinyl itself (like serato, msPinky and other do).

The position information is actually calculated within VDJ itself. The TCV is basically only relative (just forward/backward and velocity info).

In true absolute mode (as you have with Serato and msPinky vinyl) the timecode will include the actual position information both forward and backwards, so the program always knows where in the track it should be without having to do any math by itself..

afaik the new TCV does have position information so this should improve..

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 2:16 am
Ok. That's very interresting information, but again: Why aren't we told about this from the team? Can anyone from the team please comment on this, (and hopefully confirm it?)

Posted Sun 14 Jan 07 @ 8:56 pm
I sent a message to the dev team, and requested them to check out this thread. Hopefully we'll get some answers some day...soon.

-Robotkid

Posted Mon 15 Jan 07 @ 4:47 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
hi guys,

I just stop by to tell a couple of things.

For me VDJ works in backwards and forward mode, and also the absolute mode do what it should (set the place of the song over the TCV all the time and in the same way). VDJ 4.2r1 have improvments and those was some for all TCV users.

I will record a heavy scratch and baby scratch and slow and fast scratch also placing the song on the half of the TCV to show how it works. Also i'm going to ask directly to the Dev Team about this, to all be sure about this.

See you soon ;-)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 8:17 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Confirmed, VirtualDJ 4.2 read perfectly in backward and forward the timecodes.

VirtualDJ Team

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 5:57 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
:)

Posted Tue 16 Jan 07 @ 6:23 pm
Thanks ACW.

So...how can we fix our issues with scratching? Now I'm not sure what to do...It still really feels like it's loosing its position somehow when you scratch...thus making it less responsive and sloppier than Ms. Pinky.

Would it help if I post some mp3 examples of the TCV issues I'm having with scratching?
I really want to get this resolved.

For what its worth, I'm a professional music game developer by day, so I've spent a ton of time testing latency on interactive music controllers. (Guitar Hero, etc.) Soo...I'm not making this problem up. :)

-Robotkid

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 2:29 am

Try absolute mode for TC, and auto latency in VDJ performance tab.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 2:38 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
robo, some clips might help

can you tell me what you have for a setup? and settings also?

your saying everything works but you have a latency issue, right?

Posted Wed 17 Jan 07 @ 3:21 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)