Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Going back to ATI - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Dj Norway, thanks for the words. As I have said I know the potential of the program and for whatever reason when I purchased the program (3.4)after trying the demo the video worked reasonably well, but the sound crackled and popped too much to use. I purchased on the anticipation this would be fixed in v4, but never expected the video to go wonko.............and even when it seemed things were fixed a week ago, something new seems to come up every night............I am hoping this hardware rebuild will do the trick..............but as I maintain..........computers=voodoo

PS if the new hardware works, you know my big mouth (or in this case big typing fingers) you guys will all be the first to know!

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 10:24 pm
I for one, never saw you specs, other than you saying that you have 3 pc's with issues.

Can I ask if one of them at least is a CLEAN installed Windows XP ?
And what hardware?

My only consern for ALL users here, is KEEP YOUR PC CLEAN..
The few times I have run into problems with a PC, is often due to me installing and uninstalling a bunch of software.. Even Windows starts struggeling. But after I do a clean install, all works again.

Is it voodo, or the spell of Microsoft? ;) dont know...

But first rule for anyone using a pc profesionally, and want to depend on it, is having it clean, or make at least a dual boot, where one partition is clean OS.

Anyways, would love to hear what PC you have, most importantly graphic card.

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 4:07 am
I will tell you I am dealing with a POS here. I just now finially got the X1900GT card working, however I can't use the VMIX skins. As soon as I start them with video running I get a freeze up. When I hit play or stop it tells me the tracks are playing. Now that was before my 2nd install of XP which I just did. Norway I may seriously think of doing dual boot on this thing. Can I share files on a dual boot???

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 12:21 pm

So, all works fine, except when using VMIX skin?
Thats really weird, but might be something that Cyder did with the skin, or simply the size of the previews.. donno

Dual boot can access files on each partition yes:)

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 2:46 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
It has to do with the size of the preview, sometimes its just too much for the computer to handle. Never had a preview freeze on my nvida card tho.

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 3:50 pm
Dj Norway..........My specs were posted a while back in another thread (can't remember where exactly) but here are the specs for the computers again:

Computer at club

Dell xps 400
Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 ghz
1 gig ddr pc3200 ram
Onboard ati video x1300es (don't remember how much memory, but at least 128)
200gig hard drive (unknown was on computer)
500gig maxtor 7200 ultra ata hard drive
(there is a pci express slot for a larger video card if needed and if that is all it needs then there is no problem doing that)
clean windows xp home edition

computer at home:

amd athlon 64 3200+
2 gig pc3200 ddr ram
nvidia fx5200 agp 8x with 128 meg
(2) 300 gig maxtor 7200 ultra ate hard drives.
(If a better video card is required, this is a 2 space rack case and if I switch the board out to one with pci express the fastest half height card I can find is a GeForce 7300 le ddr2 with 256meg)
not so new windows xp pro install

If installing a 7300le in here would do the trick, that would be ideal!

Laptop

Amd Turion 1.8
2 gig ram (unknown speed but I assume pc3200 or mobile equivalent)
Video card, onboard ATI Radeaon Xpress200 mobile with 128mg
use external 500gig maxtor 7200 ultra ata firewire harddrive for vidoes
internal drive 120gig (brand and such unknown)
not so clean windows xp pro install

The only thing I can do to the laptop to upgrade is replace the processor with a turion x2 dual core, memory is at max and video is onboard and can't be changed.

I REALLY don't want to do windows re-install on this because this is the one I use PCDJ on and it is such a PAIN in the ASS because of their f*cked up copy protection scheme to change anything....If; however, upgrading the processor and clean install would GUARANTEE me would solve my problems with VDJ than I would go through the hassles..............the laptop is the least of my concerns right now as any of the clubs I use it at are audio only and I love PCDJ (other than their copy protection) for audio only.
Dj'ing.

Let me know if these specs should do the video okay or not; otherwise I am going to upgrade as proposed in earlier post in a last ditch attempt to salvege VDJ. I have time these next couple of days as I don't work again until Wednesday night.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 12:57 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
dj-e-lectric.

All 3 computers have bad videocards :-s

My recomendation is to work with the Dell Xps 400. This one has DDR2 not DDR3200 but 4200 at least.

You can buy a 7900GT videocard or (if you want and can) a 7950GX2 videocard so you won't have any issues on video performance ever.

Sometimes Dell use DDR2 400 chips and their systems support DDR2 677 or even DDR2 800 laking on performance with a cheaper memory modules. Here is an example of these: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0534012

X1300, FX5200 and 7300GS have issues (sometimes) because these don't decompress fast enough the video files as is needed for VDJ. I don't recommend any of these videocards to do video mixing with VDJ.

Sorry, because of that, but I can give you my help to get at least one of your 3 systems to work good and without issues with VDJ 4 for sure.

:-)

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 9:53 pm
Back to Square one with this POS Dell. I have now added an ATA HD strictly for programs. It has a fresh XP install. I am in the process of moving files onto it now. I did end up getting the X1900GT 256mb DDR3 video card. I will let you know when I am done and if there is any problems.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 9:56 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
discobrian24,

I hope you are not going to have issues now. I will be around anyway.

Good Luck!

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 10:32 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You shouldnt have problems with a x1900, thats a good card

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 11:36 pm
Well I am having problems as I can't run 3.4 or 4. I can start playing a video then load another one. It will play fine for awhile then pooof. Video and sound lock up and I have to re-start VDJ. I still am wondering if this is a power issue.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 12:24 am
Brian, if you go for a new PSU, get a good make and make it a minimum of 500W. Check the one thats in the machine, it will have a sticker with it's wattage output, if it's a crappy 350 watt type thing, dump it. Memory errors and regular crashes are symptomatic of a power supply with not enough oomph

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 1:56 am
Tophouse, thats just the thing, this is a 500W power supply with 16A on 12V rail 1 and 18A on 12V rail 2.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:01 am
Hmmm, that should be plenty. Think that Dell would have had flying lessons by now if it had been mine mate.

Memory errors? Run memtest perhaps?

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:22 am
What about disabling on of the cores??

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:33 am
eliminating the PSU I'd be tempted to check memory. If the machine has 2 sticks in it, try removing one, see if the problem still happens, if it does, swap the two over and try again.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:39 am
Machine ran memtest no errors. It has 4 sticks of 512. What would cause it to look like XP everytime i reboot when I have it set at Best performance??

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:45 am
What if USB is losing communication. I see if I unplug MK2 I get same thing that happens when it freezes. I am gonna try another soundacrd and or a new usb cable

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:53 am
OK I don't think this is video card related as when it does freeze all I do is lose the waveform and the sound. I can still change the crossfader which changes video. I am stumped.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 2:58 am
Well when running on onboard sound I have no freezes and can use VMIX skins with no freezes. While using the MK2 as midi I can get the crossfader to freeze, but videos and sound still run. It looks as if I wont be using the mk2 til I can figure out what is wrong with the USBs, but the proggy seems usable now.

Posted Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 3:11 am
87%