Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ID3 Tags - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi Everyone

As a PCDJ User I am very disappointed that Virtual DJ Version 4 does not make full use of the ID3 Tags as I rely heavily on searching by year and genre. Is there a method/program available that will automatically go through my music files and take the years and genres and incorporate them into the Comment field

For Example

Existing

Artist......................Title..........................Comment........................Year.............Genre
Beyonce..................Deja Vu.....................(Empty)..........................2006.............Urban

New

Artist......................Title..........................Comment........................Year.............Genre
Beyonce..................Deja Vu.....................2006 Urban.....................2006.............Urban

If there are no plans to bring Genres and Years into Virtual DJ I will need to find an easy/automatic way of doing this as going through over 7000 tracks would obviously be a bit of a pain

Best Wishes

Andy

Posted Sat 26 Aug 06 @ 9:39 am
Tag&Rename can do this, it's not a free program but it is brilliant and makes tagging your music a breeze.

Tools > Copy Text from One Tag Field to Another

If you've already analysed the tracks in Virtual DJ be sure to run the "VDJ Database Updater" software after adding the tags to your MP3. Good luck!

Posted Sat 26 Aug 06 @ 9:52 am
I could see that being a good plug-in but I have no problem with the way it is now. I would however like to see a better search engine such as that used by winamp that used a more open search field than a title/artist specific one that vdj uses. But I am still very happy with the way it works.

Posted Sat 26 Aug 06 @ 9:54 am
In my humble opinion the VDJ database/recordcase whatever you call it is terrible. (#)1 the file list and the playlist should be stacked instead of side by side as the are too narrow to see the "tag" info (#2) It doesn't even use the full or anywhere near full tag info (I agree it needs year & genre and also album/version) (#3) for avi videos there is no "tag" available that I am aware of (if there is a way to put an id3 tag on an avi someone please let me know) so the program should extrapolate this information from a video file name using a choosable seperator (in my case I use a comma) and put it in the database fields as it would and id3 tag (#4) Dj Norway did say they were fixing this in V4.1 so we can change the arrangement of the columns

Personally I think a record case and playlist like PCDJ FX only with a level or two added to the "groups" structure and my (#3) above would make for the perfect recordcase.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 6:06 pm
its one of the things worked at for 4.1

Music browser will be updated;)

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 6:09 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
dj-e-lectric wrote :
In my humble opinion the VDJ database/recordcase whatever you call it is terrible.

As you said that's your opinion -)
There are many people here (including myself) who like its simplicity...
Personally ... (i encode music even before mp3 came out...) and i'm afraid to say i spent my half life naming and tagging, when no cddb existed...
I can say that it was a very wise decision i made 2 years ago to completely ignore id3 tags, and use only filenames/folders.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 2:10 am
itsandrew:

A program called "The Godfather" is completely free and will do exactly that for you, as an ex-Tag&Rename user, I find "The Godfather" to be much more able when it comes to doing a large amount of renaming.

http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/
^ direct link to the homepage for you

Steve

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 4:12 am
apopis...........I was djing back when we had to put stickers on the plastic sleeves we kept our vinyl in and wrote the info on it in sharpie, but as technology gives us options why not use them if it suits you..............as far as putting the info in the file name that is exactly what I have always done also before id3 tags and still now (since tag & rename will create the tag from the file name) - my file name convention is -Artist,Title,Version,bpm,year,comment.mp3-(or .wav or .avi) and I have them organized in folders by genre. If the database used comma deliniation for the columns I would be very happy as it would "appear" in the recordcase as if it were tags but it would save me that step and I could still sort by bpm or artist or title , etc............My opinion is that since we all think and operate differently the more options to "customize" layouts without actually going in and "programming" is better for everyone (the multitude of skins is a perfect example) thats what graphic user interfaces were designed for in the first place......I don't mean to sound as though I am complaining and don't want to convinve you to set your recordcase up like mine, just a loud request for options since they are redoing all this in 4.1 anyway

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 12:44 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I also think that VirtualDJs database and search system is terrible and inflexible. How I get around it is by using foobar2000 (which I have set up with Columns UI, and database search). I can have all my music media in foobar2000, and search it very easily, then just drop it into Virtual DJs playlist or decks when I need it.

I still use VirtualDJ's search to find video or karaoke files, but since there's no way to actually have the database split up into categories, I have to recurse the folders again every time I want to search for a different type of media. Hence, it's very necessary that I use foobar2000 for my main music, because recursing that would take minutes. :P

I can't wait until VirtualDJs database is improved. It's pretty lame also, how you can't properly resize the columns without screwing up all the other ones. It doesn't work like normal windows programs (i.e. explorer), which would make a lot of sense.

Use foobar2000. It's great once you customize it, and it serves well as a backup should VirtualDJ do something bad... I just keep some good songs in a playlist, then I can hit play if VirtualDJ crashes (but so far version four hasn't required that! I'm crossing my fingers that it's much better than Version 3.4!)

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 8:42 pm
Supacon,
what you could do is search with wildcards: If your karaoke files are zipped, search for jackson*.zip -> will give you only karaoke songs. If you have mp3+cdg then replace zip by cdg.
This is the same for video, like jackson*.wmv (winamp media files) etc.
You could also copy the *.zip part and paste it in after you entered your search phrase. This is a little more typing, but probably faster than recursing all the time.
Ewout

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 9:37 pm
Hi There Ive used Tags in programs such as PCDJ, the thing coughed and spluttered if tags were anything less than perfect.
VDJ's system is Simple but robust, i'm not sure what befits are of ID3 tags, but would really love to keep the CURRENT SYSTEM if possible with the FOLLOWING CHANGES.
*Data in all columns indented to the RIGHT
*That the search be thru selectable columns ie Artist or ttle; Or Artist, title and comment....etc
*That all individual columns can be selected or deselected (maybe this controls the selectable search)
*That a Genre, and Year column and/or custumisable columns be an option.
interested in some feed back on these ideas.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 1:04 am
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thanks for the tip Superstom... I actually didn't know that you could use wildcards in the search, and that helps immensley if you don't know how to spell a track, or if you have a zillion by one artist.

I did know that you could search by extension, but the problem is that:
a) it's a pain to type it in every time.
b) Especially for video, there's more than one extenison: VOB, MPG, AVI, M2V even...

I think that it's easier to just leave it on the folder you use all the time, because I'm not *usually* switching between karaoke and video. I have more karaoke than video, so I put the karaoke in my database, then I can quickly switch to karaoke, but have to recurse the video when I switch to it.

The lack of tag support is annoying, but you can't easily tag video anyways, and although my karaoke MP3s are tagged, I doubt it'd be easy to read them anyways while inside zip files. Since I use foobar for my main music, I guess I don't miss the lack of tag support much.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 1:16 am
You can also search by folder name. If you have all your 'Country' music in a single folder named 'Country', just type 'Country' into VDJ search to get the contents of that folder. Same with year if you sort that way.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 6:06 am
Thanks for all your tips - I will investigate further - However all my music files are in one folder
They are tagged with Artist Title Genre Year BPM and the PCDJ Cue Points are even saved in them so transferring from one computer to another doesn't require major reprogramming. It's a shame that VDJ doesn't at least offer you the option of using them for those who want to

Andy

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 10:31 am
Dj Norway has said the database/browser/recordcase is being redone in version 4.1.........I am hopeful they will get most if not all of our ideas in it............I don't know from a marketing stand point if this would work but sometimes on some of these features like this it would be nice if they could say in advance "this is what we are thinking about the way this should work.....as our loyal customers (the best focus group there is) what do you guys who have to use this program 5-7 nights a week to make a living thing about it?"............as consumers we always seem to be in the dark until a poroduct/update is released and if our major suggestions aren't included it kind of gives us the feeling the programmers/marketing guys don't care what we want, they are goint to put out what they want to sell which often isn't what we WANT to by, but do buy because it is our only real choice..........I see more potential in Virtual Dj than I did with PCDJ, but there are still several things that mnake the program easier and more convenient for me to use. Most all the Dj applications perform very well and are stable enough to use day in and day out, but it is the convenience items that make or break our everyday impression of them. One area VDJ is really ahead in my opinion is the avaiability of skins and plug-ins shows they realize that each of us works and thinks differently and software should be flexible BECAUSE the purpose is to make our performances better and more creative.

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 11:29 am
I have to say that once VDJ addresses my Tags issue I will be ditching PCDJ for good

I shall look forward to 4.1 enormously

As for TAG&RENAME it works excellently and have copied my year field over to the comment field but still miss the Genres (It's one or the other)

I also wouldn't mind each set being logged as in PCDJ

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 1:32 pm
I hate the search engine, file browser thing too.

I have a solution though.

I use Itunes. I shrink it down to be the same size of the browser engine, and drag song titles from itunes straight onto the virtual DJ decks. Works like a charm. Hope this helps for those of you who hate not being able to type in partial song titles and artists, and the clunky feel of the browser.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 10:21 am
Still no sign of Full ID3 Tag Support in Version 4.1. DJ in Norway reckoned it would be taken care of in this new version :o(

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 3:02 pm
yeah.. I did...
But it seemed a fix release for BCD2000, effects and some more was needed in a hurry..

So the feature improvement had to wait, hopefully for 4.2 :)

Posted Tue 10 Oct 06 @ 6:00 pm
Thanks I Shall Look forward to that enormously !! :o)

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 10:50 am
67%