Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Improper Ghosting

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Trying to map sliders independently of each other (Pitch, Balance, Spiral, Noise) to the controller's 4 discrete knobs. I keep seeing ghosting of other three knobs and am wondering if this is a bug or user error?

For example, if I use knob 1 on the controller, the skin correctly shows the knob moving, but also shows the "ghost" of the other three knobs (as shown in image).

The code:
(Knob 1)
deck 1 effect_slider 'Pitch' 1

(Knob 2)
deck 1 effect_slider 'Balance' 1

(Knob 3)
deck 1 effect_slider 'Spiral' 1

(Knob 4)
deck 1 effect_slider 'Noise' 1

Posted Wed 24 Jul 19 @ 6:22 pm
Can you describe better what you're doing ?

Ghosting is something normal, and it shows up when the controller's slider is not the same as the software.
Usually Ghost Sliders appear when a control (knob) on software is bound to a control (knob) on a controller and that control has been moved on software side (and thus it becomes unlinked with controller)
Also a typical case of ghost sliders is when you use effect slots. (effect_slider 1 1 for instance)
In this case as different effects get loaded on the slot (and each effect recalls it's stored settings) ghost sliders can appear.

Since you're not using slots but you're trying to tie the controls directly to different effects you should not get ghosts, unless I'm missing something.

So, can you please explain better ?

Posted Wed 21 Aug 19 @ 10:20 pm
I understand all of what you are saying. The problem is that If I move one knob on the controller for a specific effect, the knob on the software end shows the proper movement, along with the ghosting movement of the other knobs.

If I control the knobs using just the software, all visuals works as intended.

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 8:29 pm
Which controller ? And which knobs have you remapped ?

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 10:14 pm
All controllers... anytime I map the knobs, it's the same result. Mind you, if I use the effect slot, the ghosting functions as expected. But I'm looking for a single effect to map, not a slot.

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 12:09 am
Make a video to show your problem, it’ll be easier if we can actually see it.

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 8:06 pm
This video shows the code I used to map each slider. The first part of the video demonstrates the correct behavior of the skin when using just a mouse. The second part of the video shows how the sliders misbehaves when using "Any" controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bnqt3AiECg

Posted Thu 05 Sep 19 @ 5:04 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT....were you able to take a look?

Posted Thu 12 Sep 19 @ 1:35 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Skin issue I think, could you post the xml code for these dials?

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 5:35 pm
---PITCH---
<slider class="Knob Red" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'Pitch' 1 & deck 1 effect_active 'Pitch' on" dblclick="deck 1 effect_slider 'Pitch' 1 50%" rightclick="" >
<pos x="+874" y="+487"/>
</slider>
<textzone>
<pos x="+871" y="+525"/>
<size width="50" height="12"/>
<text1 font="Verdana" weight="bold" size="12" color="#cccccc" align="center" format="PITCH"/>
<text2 font="Verdana" weight="bold" size="12" color="##cccccc" align="center" action="deck left eq_high & param_smaller 50% ? param_cast 'percentage' : param_equal 50% ? constant 'PITCH' : param_bigger 50% ? param_cast 'percentage' "/>
</textzone>

---BALANCE---
<slider class="Knob Red" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'Balance' 1 & deck 1 effect_active 'Balance' on" dblclick="deck 1 effect_slider 'Balance' 1 50%" rightclick="" >
<pos x="+874" y="+538"/>
</slider>
<textzone>
<pos x="+871" y="+576"/>
<size width="50" height="12"/>
<text1 font="Verdana" weight="bold" size="12" color="#cccccc" align="center" format="BALANCE"/>
<text2 font="Verdana" weight="bold" size="12" color="#cccccc" align="center" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'Balance' 1 & param_smaller 50% ? param_cast 'percentage' : param_equal 50% ? constant 'BALANCE' : param_bigger 50% ? param_cast 'percentage' "/>
</textzone>

---SPIRAL---

<slider class="Knob Red" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'Spiral' 1 & deck 1 effect_active 'Spiral' on" dblclick="deck 1 effect_slider 'Spiral' 1 50%" rightclick=" " >
<pos x="+874" y="+587"/>
</slider>

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 6:11 pm
I was hoping to revisit this issue. Anyone might have an answer?

Posted Sat 05 Dec 20 @ 8:08 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Not really but multiple actions as one may interfere with slider value
you may try to map a query to get the correct value
action="deck 1 effect_slider 'Pitch' 1 & deck 1 effect_active 'Pitch' on" query="deck 1 effect_slider 'Pitch' 1"

as well class="Knob Red" definition would help
maybe something is wrong with it, as it looks like being a multiple slider (round & circle) with only one action specified

Posted Sat 05 Dec 20 @ 8:59 pm
I think I figured it out. I believe it has to do with the effect 'balance'

BalanceFader Is an effect that seems to stay activate on the master channel by default and can not be turn off unless a script is made to turn it off. After removing balance from the skin, the other buttons work fine. I believe that any effect that belongs to the master group will have this weird problem.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 20 @ 3:40 pm
I do not know about an effect 'balance' in 64bit, and SBDJ 's effect 'balance' is 32bit only

Are you talking about my effect 'balanceFader' when used as master ?
if yes (I think an early old one could have been permanent)
Make sure to use at least the version 1.1 (no swap button) or 1.2 (with a swap button)
If no.. make a try it's both x64 and x32
It does not affect any slider and can switch on/off

if there is a ghost problem with it please report in a way to see what can be done

Posted Mon 07 Dec 20 @ 4:31 pm
Nicotux wrote :
I do not know about an effect 'balance' in 64bit, and SBDJ 's effect 'balance' is 32bit only

Are you talking about my effect 'balanceFader' when used as master ?
if yes (I think an early old one could have been permanent)
Make sure to use at least the version 1.1 (no swap button) or 1.2 (with a swap button)
If no.. make a try it's both x64 and x32
It does not affect any slider and can switch on/off

if there is a ghost problem with it please report in a way to see what can be done

The only Balance effect I only used was yours and this was VDJ 8 32-bit. Always had the ghosting problem. I Still have the problem in VDJ 2021 64-Bit.

The plugin works fine with the exception of the visual. My belief is that it runs on the 'master' and never shuts off (Even If I turn it off). My FX knobs were were directly linked to 3 separate plugins (As shown in my screen grab). Those FX were meant to be permanently linked to specific knobs on my controller (Can't change what they do).

If I placed your Balance effect in a FX 'slot', I had no issues. But having it tied into a permanent slider made the other permanent sliders move (as if an attached controller had a knob in a different position).

I am not sure why the other effects have no ghosting issue when I directly link it to the controller's knobs. I only know that by removing your Balance effect, it solved the problem. All the knobs can freely move with no visual issue.

Posted Sun 13 Dec 20 @ 7:32 pm
"The only Balance effect I only used was yours"
in your script you are using "deck 1 effect_slider 'Balance' 1" does not refer to my plugin
"deck 1 effect_slider 'BalanceFader' 1" does

but that does not explain why other faders could be affected

only one wrong reference and of course sliders won't be same values and a ghost will appear
the same way stopping one plugin will not stop the other one giving the impression they do not stop

BalanceFader (1.2) have an extra security to not apply even when called when stopped

Posted Mon 14 Dec 20 @ 5:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)