Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-800 - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

PhantomDeejay wrote :
That's a limitation of the device.
You can use a trick to somehow bypass this limitation though:
Load the DDJ-800 settings pad page, navigate to the miscellaneous sub-page and press the forth pad to switch the mixer mode from dual to 4 decks
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/ddj800/settings.html#miscellaneous

Keep in mind that each time you switch from deck 1 to let's say deck 3, deck 3 will update with current mixer fader position(s). However, deck 1 will stay intact until you switch back to it. Same goes for switching from deck 3 to deck 1.

Thanks so much for this info. I found the DDJ-800 settings pad page, however it's not working. I followed the instructions and switched it from Dual to 4 Decks, but it is still performing like it's on Dual. I've found other settings that I have tried to change, but they are also not changing. Example... I switch the booth option from Stereo to Mono, yet it's still sending stereo instead of mono. I did notice that the 4 Decks option is not lit up when selected. Could that be part of the problem?

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 4:32 am
Stereo/Mono is indeed something that's not working at the moment. This setting is software based and it's something that will come soon in VirtualDJ.
However I have no problem switching between 4 decks and dual mixer here.

PS: Load a decks skin and make sure you have the mixer visible on screen. Then you should be able to understand the differences between the 2 modes better.
As I said it's not a full solution for what you want to achieve, but a trick to help you achieve it.

Example in dual mode:
Raise volume on deck 1: Both deck 1 and deck 3 volume sliders raise up

Example in 4 decks mode:
Raise volume in deck 1: Deck 1 volume slider raises, deck 3 volume slider remains closed
Switch from deck 1 to deck 3: Deck 3 volume slider jumps in the position that DDJ-800 volume slider is (in other words it jumps to up)
That's not something we can change since that's how Pioneer designed the unit to perform...

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 10:30 am
DOUBLE POST

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 9:11 pm
DOUBLE POST

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 9:13 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
[quote=DJay 2Legit][quote=PhantomDeejay]Stereo/Mono is indeed something that's not working at the moment. This setting is software based and it's something that will come soon in VirtualDJ.
However I have no problem switching between 4 decks and dual mixer here.

PS: Load a decks skin and make sure you have the mixer visible on screen. Then you should be able to understand the differences between the 2 modes better.
As I said it's not a full solution for what you want to achieve, but a trick to help you achieve it.

Example in dual mode:
Raise volume on deck 1: Both deck 1 and deck 3 volume sliders raise up

Example in 4 decks mode:
Raise volume in deck 1: Deck 1 volume slider raises, deck 3 volume slider remains closed
Switch from deck 1 to deck 3: Deck 3 volume slider jumps in the position that DDJ-800 volume slider is (in other words it jumps to up)
That's not something we can change since that's how Pioneer designed the unit to perform...

I see what you're saying now. 4 decks mode only allows the sliders to function independently, but still does not allow both decks' sound to simultaneously go through the outputs. Bummer. Without hearing both songs (2 and 4) or (1 and 3) simultaneously, then one cannot mix on 4 decks on the DDJ-800. Wow. Even on my DDJ-SR2 I could mix on 4 decks easily. The DDJ-800 is supposed to be an upgrade from that. Starting to have a little buyer's remorse now.

Thanks so much for responding. Do you think by any chance that they will fix this at some point in the future, like maybe when they fix the mono/stereo issue?

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 9:14 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
one cannot mix on 4 decks on the DDJ-800. Wow.

I don't know why you're surprised by this. It has a two channel mixer. The channels each have a switch at the top that selects which deck runs through that channel.

Just looking at a picture of the unit I would assume that you cannot run four decks through it at once. I wouldn't say it needs fixing. It's clear from the design that only two decks can be sent through the mixer at once.

The SR2 is the same - two mixer channels and switches at the top. How do you manage to run four decks through that?

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 9:24 pm
groovindj wrote :
DJay 2Legit wrote :
one cannot mix on 4 decks on the DDJ-800. Wow.

I don't know why you're surprised by this. It has a two channel mixer. The channels each have a switch at the top that selects which deck runs through that channel.

Just looking at a picture of the unit I would assume that you cannot run four decks through it at once. I wouldn't say it needs fixing. It's clear from the design that only two decks can be sent through the mixer at once.

The SR2 is the same - two mixer channels and switches at the top. How do you manage to run four decks through that?

Lol. It's very clear that you don't own an SR2 and you've never mixed with 4 decks on one. Don't let the pictures fool you. Yes, the SR2 is made exactly the same as the 800, however the SR2 actually works correctly... the 800 does not. On the SR2, when you play a song on deck 2 and then switch to deck 4, you can still hear deck 2. On the SR2, you can play 4 songs and HEAR and mix all 4 songs simultaneously. I've been doing it on the SR2 over a year. There is no secret or magic to it. If you don't believe me, I will kindly make you a video showing it mixing 4 decks.

Posted Thu 27 Jun 19 @ 10:14 pm
The sliders update that you get when you switch from one deck to another is firmware controlled. And most likely Pioneer wanted this behavior in the first place (to keep a selling point for DDJ-1000 perhaps) so no, I don't think Pioneer will change that in the future.
However I'll check if we can tweak the official mapper to allow all 4 decks to be audible in 4 decks mixer mode.
In that case I will keep you updated on this thread...

Posted Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 7:00 am
DOUBLE POST

Posted Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 8:44 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
However I'll check if we can tweak the official mapper to allow all 4 decks to be audible in 4 decks mixer mode.

Thank you!!! My only issue is not being able to hear all 4 decks at once. If you guys can make that happen, you will hit a home run! The way you guys made the sliders work in 4 deck mode is just fine with me. I love that!!! I just can't mix with 4 decks like I'm used to without hearing all 4 decks at once. Thank you so much for hearing me out and at least considering making this happen. I appreciate it very much.

Posted Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 8:49 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
It's very clear that you don't own an SR2

True, I don't. I own two 4 channel controllers. The last thing I expect is to be able to mix four decks on a two channel controller!

Logically I can't see the point of either the 800 or the SR2 having switches at the top of each channel if they don't actually switch anything (or if they allow the deck you've switched away from to still be audible). That to me is just bizarre behaviour.

Posted Fri 28 Jun 19 @ 9:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
That to me is just bizarre behaviour.

Anything can seem bizarre when one doesn't 'understand.'

Groovindj, you seem like a cool guy to me. In fact, you have assisted me with things in the past. I don't wanna argue with you. I just want Atomix to fix this issue so the DDJ-800 can work like it's supposed to. One thing we should clear up now is that the DDJ-800 and the DDJ-SR2, are not 2 channel controllers. They are in fact, 4 channel controllers. The only difference between them and your controllers is that they share faders. That is why we have the assign switches at the top. Those switches tell the machine which channel the faders are to control. That's it. Those switches are not supposed to tamper with the sound in any way.

Anyway, I know the fine folks at Atomix already understand this. This is not new to them as they are the ones who mapped the SR2. I'll just be glad when they fix the mapping on the 800 so I can continue mixing on 4 decks like I am used to doing on the SR2. I was at a gig today and I was really missing not being able to add a 3rd song to this awesome mix I was spinning. Drats!!! Lol... oh well. I'll just have to be patient and wait on the Atomix team to save the day for me.

Posted Sun 30 Jun 19 @ 1:11 am
Sounds completely impractical to me :-)

Posted Sun 30 Jun 19 @ 7:46 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
inxscpl@aol.com wrote :
Price is crazy, but we will pay for it. I have the Denon MC6000MK2. (2 Mics, stand alone, inputs up the wazoo) It is a great controller, but I had it almost 5 years. Got it new for $599. I wanted a pioneer controller, as I love how the play buttons and pads feel, but anything Pioneer under $1000 is so stripped down. The DDJ 800 looks promising but $899 DAMN!!!!.

you might like the pioneer ddj rr. i think the new ddj 800 is the new version of that. what im curious about. can the ddj 800 use vdj timecodes.

i have an xdj-rx2. and its not possible to use timecodes i was told.

Posted Sun 30 Jun 19 @ 10:23 am
A quick Google tells me that the DDJ-800 is "Rekordbox DVS Ready", so the hardware is capable of timecode config.

Posted Sun 30 Jun 19 @ 11:05 am
Yes, DDJ-800 can work with Timecodes

Posted Mon 01 Jul 19 @ 8:41 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that I got tired of waiting for help from Atomix. Been about 3 weeks now so I figured I'd see if I could figure out the problem with the mapping on my own.

VOILA!!! I fixed it! I edited the mapping and now I have all 4 decks playing at once and I can mix live on all 4 decks like it's supposed to. Maybe I'm the only person out there who mixes on 4 decks in VDJ on the DDJ-800? I don't know lol. However if there is anyone reading this who would like to know how to properly map their DDJ-800 to allow 4 deck mixing, let me know and I will help you.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 19 @ 12:02 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes, DDJ-800 can work with Timecodes

with vdj timcodes? im not into RB at all

Posted Tue 09 Jul 19 @ 11:27 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I believe I've said it above already:
DDJ-800 does NOT feature any native effects (even for hardware mixing)
Therefore all effects are software, and each software has it's own effects, ways to apply them, sound, settings e.t.c.

For your gain issue (Trim) are you familiar with MIDI mixing and the way gain works in VirtualDJ ?
If you are, then I can only say that I haven't seen any delay or lag.
If you are not, then keep in mind that VirtualDJ has different ways to manipulate gain depending on your settings.
With factory default settings autoGain is enabled. This means that all songs should sound about the same level when the gain slider is on 12 o clock position.
Also this means that every time you load a track VirtualDJ "resets" the internal gain on 12 o clock position. When this happens if your hardware/controller gain slider is not in the same spot a "ghost" slider gets created (that shows the position of the controller's gain knob). The ghost slider must then "link" again with the regular slider for the gain slider to start working again. This happens by moving the ghost slider on the 12 o clock position (or in order to be precise, in the position of the software slider)
All this behavior is user adjustable. Please refer to user manual or start a new thread for further assistance if you need to change it.
Again, this is the typical behavior of MIDI mixing, not an issue of the controller or it's mapping.

Finally, with all settings set to flat (no EQ, no ColorFX, no Tempo adjustment e.t.c. I can't really tell any difference in audio between Rekordbox and VirtualDJ.
There may be a difference in volume level depending on the headroom setting in both Rekordbox and VirtualDJ, but that's something to be expected and not to get confused with "audio quality/clarity" Usually people tend to consider louder as better quality, but that's not the case.

Those are my own remarks.

PS: Make sure that Rekordbox is not set to MONO (monoaural) sound mode. Currently VirtualDJ does not support this setting. An update will come though that will enable it.

ok what your saying is unlike the xdj-rx2. whose onboard effect do work well with vdj. the 800s effects are software based?

i think i hosed my xdj-rx2 with the latest firmware. and i cant seem to get any help from pioneer. i just want a good, 2 channel controller with onboard effects. does the denon 7000-8000 series have hardware effects. i dont remember.. the prime is overkill for me.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 19 @ 11:33 am
groovindj wrote :
A quick Google tells me that the DDJ-800 is "Rekordbox DVS Ready", so the hardware is capable of timecode config.

i saw that. but we know how pioneer sometimes locks features up. i just wanted to be sure

Posted Wed 10 Jul 19 @ 6:30 am
61%