Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-800 - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJay 2Legit wrote :
DJay 2Legit wrote :
[quote=DJay 2Legit][quote=PhantomDeejay]Stereo/Mono is indeed something that's not working at the moment. This setting is software based and it's something that will come soon in VirtualDJ.
However I have no problem switching between 4 decks and dual mixer here.

PS: Load a decks skin and make sure you have the mixer visible on screen. Then you should be able to understand the differences between the 2 modes better.
As I said it's not a full solution for what you want to achieve, but a trick to help you achieve it.

Example in dual mode:
Raise volume on deck 1: Both deck 1 and deck 3 volume sliders raise up

Example in 4 decks mode:
Raise volume in deck 1: Deck 1 volume slider raises, deck 3 volume slider remains closed
Switch from deck 1 to deck 3: Deck 3 volume slider jumps in the position that DDJ-800 volume slider is (in other words it jumps to up)
That's not something we can change since that's how Pioneer designed the unit to perform...

I see what you're saying now. 4 decks mode only allows the sliders to function independently, but still does not allow both decks' sound to simultaneously go through the outputs. Bummer. Without hearing both songs (2 and 4) or (1 and 3) simultaneously, then one cannot mix on 4 decks on the DDJ-800. Wow. Even on my DDJ-SR2 I could mix on 4 decks easily. The DDJ-800 is supposed to be an upgrade from that. Starting to have a little buyer's remorse now.

Thanks so much for responding. Do you think by any chance that they will fix this at some point in the future, like maybe when they fix the mono/stereo issue?

i have a ddj rr. which is very close to the sr2. do you think now it was worth the upgrade?

Posted Wed 10 Jul 19 @ 6:32 am
If going for an upgrade, why not take the step to the DDJ-1000 instead with a few bucks more. I personally love the DDJ-1000 and works totally flawless with VDJ. (PC side)

Posted Wed 10 Jul 19 @ 7:56 am
hh73 wrote :
i have a ddj rr. which is very close to the sr2. do you think now it was worth the upgrade?

Yes absolutely!!! Especially now that I have it working with 4 deck mixing like it's supposed to. I don't regret this purchase one bit. The main advantages it has over the RR and SR2 are:

1. Much better mic controls with added EQ
2. Lighted visual displays on the platters (BPM, Song Time, Needle Position)
3. No more buttons on the sides of the controller. I always HATED that on the SR2.

For those reasons alone, the purchase was well worth it to me.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 1:07 am
Mobile Zombie wrote :
If going for an upgrade, why not take the step to the DDJ-1000 instead with a few bucks more. I personally love the DDJ-1000 and works totally flawless with VDJ. (PC side)

Good question. I debated between the 1000 and the 800 for months. My main controller is the DDJ-SX2. However, I gig A LOT. Usually 3 to 4 times every week. I remember getting tired of lugging around my SX2 in it's flight case all the time. That's why I went to the SR2. It was like a smaller version of the SX2. After gigging so much with the SR2, I had grown very used to 4 deck mixing on it. So in the end, I decided on the 800 over the 1000 for the same reason I decided on the SR2 over the SX2. Portability.

Btw, the 800 works flawlessly with VDJ as well. :)

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 1:11 am
Mobile Zombie wrote :

thinking about it. i just sold my xdj-rx2 and might get a used djm 850k or 900nxs. and use timecodes. i dont want a controller were the hardware effects are tied to crap rekordbox.

yeah i dont see why the ddj 800 is well 800 euros and for 200 more i can get the 1000. so i might go that way.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 12:20 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
hh73 wrote :

Yes absolutely!!! Especially now that I have it working with 4 deck mixing like it's supposed to. I don't regret this purchase one bit. The main advantages it has over the RR and SR2 are:

1. Much better mic controls with added EQ
2. Lighted visual displays on the platters (BPM, Song Time, Needle Position)
3. No more buttons on the sides of the controller. I always HATED that on the SR2.

For those reasons alone, the purchase was well worth it to me.

things i dont like about the ddj rr. the pitch to me is tiny. and in a weird spot. and the sound quality isnt as great as the more pricey ones.

have you noticed an improvement in the overall sound quality. buy the specs on pios website. it seems to have a better soundcard.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 12:23 pm
well if the damn ebayer decided to pay. (why do people buy things before they have the money to pay??) thats another story. i will let you guys know what i decided.

the prime 4 looks really cool. and has some very fancy features. and now horizontal waveforms. but it seems huge. and not so much of a mixer for regular deep/classic/techno style of music i play.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 12:26 pm
hh73 wrote :
not so much of a mixer for regular deep/classic/techno

Why do you say that? Surely any genre can be played on any equipment.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 4:20 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You can but certain layouts are better suited to certain genres, a scratch mixer isn't best for long blend style mixing, whereas a rotary mixer is good for long blends but useless for cutting.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 6:35 pm
groovindj wrote :
hh73 wrote :
not so much of a mixer for regular deep/classic/techno

Why do you say that? Surely any genre can be played on any equipment.

of course. its just what you are used too. i for example dont use the pads...too many effects, etc. the prime 4 im sure you can do anything. but i do long slow transitions betwen two songs. its a big huge....lol. a 2 channel version would be perfect. i should have said "the prime 4 looks like an alien spaceship, and a bit intimidating lol".

my friend in spain loves it. but plays more comericial stuff. my desktop space is limited.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 8:30 pm
locodog wrote :
You can but certain layouts are better suited to certain genres, a scratch mixer isn't best for long blend style mixing, whereas a rotary mixer is good for long blends but useless for cutting.

what i meant to say. i had a pioneer djm with the rotary kit. and was super nice. i was a dumbass to sell it.

Posted Thu 11 Jul 19 @ 8:31 pm
i bought a used djm 850k. and will use either an NI X1 or dvs. maybe for xmas i will get some pion cdjs, but not the 2000 series. way too much $$$

Posted Fri 12 Jul 19 @ 6:05 pm
hh73 wrote :
things i dont like about the ddj rr. the pitch to me is tiny. and in a weird spot. and the sound quality isnt as great as the more pricey ones.

have you noticed an improvement in the overall sound quality. buy the specs on pios website. it seems to have a better soundcard.

Yes I forgot about the pitch fader. It is much improved on the 800 with them using long faders instead of the little tiny ones on the SR2 and RR. As far as sound quality goes, it's hard for me to give a definite answer. I know the 800 sounds great and maybe it does sound a little better than the SR2, but I can't say for sure. Sorry.

Posted Fri 12 Jul 19 @ 6:44 pm
hh73 wrote :
i bought a used djm 850k. and will use either an NI X1 or dvs. maybe for xmas i will get some pion cdjs, but not the 2000 series. way too much $$$

well well. i didnt know the mixer i paid a grand for on ebay was made in 2012. and something wasnt right. the sound. i plugged in my old denon mc600mk2 and the sound quality was much much better. so back to square one. i was able to send it back.

the ddj 800 or 1000 looks very promising. so does prime 4. but a friend who has the prime 4 is having issues. and told me to wait until a few firmwares down the road.

Posted Sun 21 Jul 19 @ 5:42 pm
DJay 2Legit wrote :
DJay 2Legit wrote :
[quote=DJay 2Legit][quote=PhantomDeejay]Stereo/Mono is indeed something that's not working at the moment. This setting is software based and it's something that will come soon in VirtualDJ.
However I have no problem switching between 4 decks and dual mixer here.

PS: Load a decks skin and make sure you have the mixer visible on screen. Then you should be able to understand the differences between the 2 modes better.
As I said it's not a full solution for what you want to achieve, but a trick to help you achieve it.

Example in dual mode:
Raise volume on deck 1: Both deck 1 and deck 3 volume sliders raise up

Example in 4 decks mode:
Raise volume in deck 1: Deck 1 volume slider raises, deck 3 volume slider remains closed
Switch from deck 1 to deck 3: Deck 3 volume slider jumps in the position that DDJ-800 volume slider is (in other words it jumps to up)
That's not something we can change since that's how Pioneer designed the unit to perform...

I see what you're saying now. 4 decks mode only allows the sliders to function independently, but still does not allow both decks' sound to simultaneously go through the outputs. Bummer. Without hearing both songs (2 and 4) or (1 and 3) simultaneously, then one cannot mix on 4 decks on the DDJ-800. Wow. Even on my DDJ-SR2 I could mix on 4 decks easily. The DDJ-800 is supposed to be an upgrade from that. Starting to have a little buyer's remorse now.

Thanks so much for responding. Do you think by any chance that they will fix this at some point in the future, like maybe when they fix the mono/stereo issue?

I've configured the 4 decks to work simultaneously, it's a setting in the controller mapping. Find the Deck 1 / Deck 3 and Deck 2 / Deck 4 options - they look like this:
<map value="SOURCE_DECK_1" action="leftdeck &amp; deck 1 mute off &amp; deck 3 mute on" />. Just remove the "& deck 3 mute on" part and that's it. This way you can switch between decks and have them play simultaneously. The other issue left is the ControllerTakeOverMode not working properly for the knobs and volume sliders (while it works perfectly well for the Pitch slider). I've posted about this here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/230199/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Pioneer_DDJ_800_-_ControllerTakeOverMode_doesn_t_work_as_expected.html
Cheers!

Posted Thu 08 Aug 19 @ 12:00 pm
SlySelecta wrote :

I've configured the 4 decks to work simultaneously, it's a setting in the controller mapping.

Yep, I did that too... long ago. Got tired of waiting for a response from Atomix.

Posted Fri 09 Aug 19 @ 9:24 am
DJay 2Legit, do you use AutoGain (the track volume normalization in VDJ)? Have you noticed if it works or not with the DDJ 800? I played this weekend and was left with the impression it doesn't work, perhaps because of the same issue, the knob positions.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 8:54 am
SlySelecta wrote :
DJay 2Legit, do you use AutoGain (the track volume normalization in VDJ)? Have you noticed if it works or not with the DDJ 800? I played this weekend and was left with the impression it doesn't work, perhaps because of the same issue, the knob positions.

Yep I use it and it definitely works on my end exactly how it is described to work.

Posted Tue 13 Aug 19 @ 9:20 pm
Mobile Zombie wrote :

i dont need 4 channels. and if i remember the hardware effects dont work with vdj? was the firmware updated? does the 800s effects work with vdj?

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 11:32 am
For DDJ-1000:
Hardware effects can be used ONLY with analog audio sources (even with Rekordbox). For software decks the effects are always provided by the software (even for Rekordbox)

For DDJ-800:
The unit does NOT have any hardware effects at all. All effects are provided by the software.

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 3:29 pm
76%