Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Netsearch not working in latest build - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi

Netsearch isn't working in v8.2 b3432. Doing a Content Unlimited search yields very few results due to the limited catalogue and now Netsearch is yielding 0 results for any search which makes the whole Content Unlimited a whole lot more like Content Limited!

All options are set correctly, and Netsearch worked fine in previous versions. Any fixes on the horizon ?

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 4:05 pm

Posted Sun 30 Oct 16 @ 1:24 pm[ selected best answer by Adion on Sun 30 Oct 16 @ 7:05 pm ]
Atomix still haven't made a statement on this despite many threads saying the same thing. Two builds have been released since the problem was identified but no word at all.

Pretty crap customer service to be honest.

You can go back to an older build which apparently works but I can't remember which one. I'm thinking this is a "legal" issue rather than a programming one.

http://www.virtualdj.com/download/build.html

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 4:32 pm
Hi

Thanks for your reply, and I agree with the customer service statement. I emailed a couple of the guys at Atomix directly two days ago and not had a reply from them as of yet either.

I suspect you're also correct in it being a legal issue as I also only saw two days ago (when I started looking for answers to the problem) the following statement on the Disclaimer page

"For DJs In The United States Of America (USA) & United States Territories Only!"

You can view the page with the disclaimer here

https://www.virtualdj.com/atomixproductions/idjpool.html

I don't ever remember seeing that before and also asked for clarification in the email I sent, but if the rest of the world other than the USA can no longer use Content Unlimited then we really need to know about it sooner rather than later!!

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 4:45 pm
Also raised a post on that on Wednesday night but they haven't bothered replying to that either. It's pretty bad that the terms changed and users weren't notified. I dread to think how many UK or Non-USA subscribers are now using the service illegally. I have emailed iDJPool and see if they know what's going on as I was nearly cought out by this when going to subscribe on Wednesday.

It's always the same with Atomix, when something goes wrong everyone goes silent and they just ignore posts.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/213149/General_Discussion/Content_Unlimited_for_(professional)_USA_use_only_.html

I thought the company were becoming more customer focused of late but it seems they have gone back to the bad old days. Ah well ......

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 4:50 pm
So we're paying for the unlimited content that doesn't work and no one has notified us or got back to us so it's really pointless to have then right

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 7:55 pm
I need answers how is serato they want to hook me up with a two week free trial and I'm really thinking about moving to them and giving them a try although I really love virtual DJ layout but their customer service sucks and you can never get through to anyone for assistance esp if I'm doing a gig such as a wedding I don't have time to email I need answers asap via phone....

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 7:57 pm
Im having the same problems and got a gig tomorrow.....wow this sux

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 8:05 pm
Here's the reply I got from iDJPool. Confuses things even more.

only iDJPool direct mp3 download service is for USA Not the virtual DJ version
The virtual dj version this all countries
iDJPool and Virtual DJ content are totally separate packages.
You have to use your Virtual DJ Software to access and play the content.
You login though Virtual DJ not iDJPool.
If you need help or support you have to contact Virtual DJ.
If want direct service from iDJPool you would have to join iDJPool

Best,
David Casto - CEO/PD

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 9:27 pm
CHALLYBOI247 wrote :
So we're paying for the unlimited content that doesn't work and no one has notified us or got back to us so it's really pointless to have then right

No.
You are paying for a Content Unlimited that works
You are not paying for a Netsearch that doesn't work. You've never paid for Netsearch. It's always been a free add-on to Content Unlimited
So legally there is no case regarding not getting what you are paying for
But like the rest of the users I would also like an official statement from Atomix

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 12:09 pm
There have been Teamers on the forum since this thread has been created but it's being ignored.

Obviously they've been told to keep quiet rather than let customers actually know what's happening.

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 1:10 pm
Hi

Whilst I agree that CU is working as advertised and that Netsearch has been an 'added bonus', in my opinion CU without Netsearch is very (and I mean very) limited and in most cases not particularly useful. Consider the following statement of VDJ describing CU -

'With a ContentUnlimited subscription, you will be able to face almost any request from your customers, even for songs you never heard about. And you'll always have access to the latest tracks as soon as they get released, no matter where you are'

Currently I 100% disagree with that. Try searching for any 50s/60s/70s/80's/90s tracks and see what results you get - in most cases 0. Try searching for the new Robbie Williams single (Party Like A Russian) and you'll get 0 results

In order to get results as we used to from the sadly demised GrooveShark catalogue, either the providers of the current CU catalogue (iDJPool) need to seriously up their content, a new provider with a decent catalogue needs to be used or Netsearch (or similar) needs re-instating as soon as possible in order for a CU subscription to be worthwhile - or just scrap CU altogether and we'll use our own providers which is looking at the moment the way to go

I have no problems at all in paying for a service that delivers results, and am a huge supporter of only playing legal and licenced tracks in all of our venues (which as part of a multi national chain is 85) and indeed would be more than happy if the CU subscription fee had to be increased in order for it to be useable - but it needs to deliver the results as expected and advertised, and equally as important, not have the plug pulled on an element of the service (whether that element was a bonus or not) without at least the courtesy of an announcement to let the paying customers know of the changes

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 1:21 pm
Very well said sir at least offer us something so we can keep using the services or expect to lose a lot of customers over this especially for important gigs coming up this CU is useless and that will cause for our clients to look elsewhere for services. I did a wedding last weekend and couldn't get half of their songs I had to use YouTube to finagle things just to get myself out of a jam. With that being said is there an alternative program to use for virtual DJ for unlimited music?

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 3:22 pm
I find it amazing that people doing weddings don't ask for a list ahead of time then you would have so many fewer requests anyways.

this is what I believe (All of the netsearch stuff was unlicensed and grabbed from all over the net even youtube) and I would expect netsearch to be a thing of the past.

there has been a lot of controversy as of late about ripping videos off the net I am sure Atomix is aware of this and is taking steps to preserve their business.

sure it was a great and useful tool but we as DJs have a responsibility to set an example and do things the right way..........

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 3:30 pm
CHALLYBOI247 wrote :
I had to use YouTube

No you didn't have to use YouTube. Clearly you had access to the internet, so you could have legally downloaded songs from any number of sources.

What you did was illegal. Why do you think YouTube has no download option?

Surely you got paid for the wedding way more than the price of a few songs from E.G. iTunes?

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 5:39 pm
I believe that I did use YouTube red for their dinner music and their first dance and 2 dollar dance songs just because some of the songs they were requesting wasn't coming up in my search database in virtual DJ I been having this issue for almost 2 weeks now I just want to know is there something else I can use so I can get my music and I'm hearing 2 different sides saying that the music we were paying for was illegal how would a company this big office services to be illegal?

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 9:54 pm
CHALLYBOI247 wrote :
is there something else I can use so I can get my music

Yes. It's called a store. :-) Here's a bunch - take your pick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_music_stores

CHALLYBOI247 wrote :
the music we were paying for was illegal

Who said Content Unlimited was illegal? Can you point me to where you saw this? It's Netsearch that provides stuff of unknown origin, and there's no fee for Netsearch.

Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 @ 10:43 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
You do realise don't you, you guys that are currently dependent on Content Unlimited that if the service is disconnected permanently for whatever reason in the future your screwed, you need to understand that Atomix has only ever promoted the service as a back up to the files that you have already bought and not as a guaranteed way of building a music library, as you should already know, once you stop making the monthly payment or the service expires all of those tracks that you have so eagerly collected magically become a pile of doo doo.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 16 @ 12:30 am
Hi folks,

I too am struggling to with the use of content unlimited. I have a vast collection of music downloaded to my cache from virtual DJ and for that reason alone I am sticking it out with CU.

Virtual DJ is being sold as a professional service and it is not delivering. It is marketed as a professional tool and a large part of that is aimed at professional DJs so to mock DJs for using this service for weddings is in itself a joke.

I use virtual DJ for weddings as my primary tool. I take requests in advance and I head straight to content unlimited to download those tracks to my cache for safe keeping. I also have DJ pro as a backup on a second laptop and my iphone which uses spotify for streaming. I also have enough music in my itunes and on an external hard drive so no matter what, I have a back up plan and I won't be stuck.

I have basically built a fully functioning business around DJing and virtual DJ I consider to be a very valuable tool and it has done an amazing job at providing the music that I need quickly, easily and legally and all within a very useful DJ interface. At this point in time though one of the main features has changed without any notification so each and every user has the right to be pissed. If spotify or itunes suddenly dropped half their catalogue without any notice, would their customers be pissed? Of course they would and they are just the casual listener that do not have to rely on the service for professional use. If you are selling business to business, expect shit to hit the fan when you don't deliver.

People have asked for alternatives and I am currently looking at this:

https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-pro-mac

It works in a similar way to virtual DJ but streams from spotify. Not sure about licensing at the moment but as far as I can tell, I have been streaming music from netsearch at events illegally for years so no change of practice there.

Virtual DJ is definitely my preference but I am not going to stick it out with a service that does not do the job that it is supposed to.

Posted Mon 17 Oct 16 @ 11:08 am
mondogar wrote :
Virtual DJ is being sold as a professional service and it is not delivering. It is marketed as a professional tool and a large part of that is aimed at professional DJs so to mock DJs for using this service for weddings is in itself a joke.

You do know that you are currently getting what you are paying for which is Content Unlimited, right?
It's the free Netsearch add-on (content grabbed from the internet) that is not included

mondogar wrote :
People have asked for alternatives and I am currently looking at this:
https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-pro-mac
It works in a similar way to virtual DJ but streams from spotify. Not sure about licensing at the moment but as far as I can tell, I have been streaming music from netsearch at events illegally for years so no change of practice there.

I can help you with that:
Algoriddim Djay with Spotify streaming is illegal to use professionally and/or in public

mondogar wrote :

Virtual DJ is definitely my preference but I am not going to stick it out with a service that does not do the job that it is supposed to.

Content Unlimited was never designed or claimed to "have everything".
It's based on the iDJ pool, and only has content from that pool
To my knowledge there currently is no streaming service available that has everything and is licensed to use for DJing

Also please read the "best answer" post in the top of this thread. That is spot on

Posted Mon 17 Oct 16 @ 11:22 am
I have read all the posts but they fail to acknowledge that the virtual DJ system has changed in a way that makes it pretty useless which is why I commented. Anyway, in response to your points....

Here is what content unlimited offers in the words of Virtual DJ as taken from this website:

With a ContentUnlimited subscription, you will be able to face almost any request from your customers, even for songs you never heard about. And you'll always have access to the latest tracks as soon as they get released, no matter where you are.

I would say that is as close to a claim of having everything as you will get and up until very recently, they delivered. I am not looking for everything. At the moment what is provided is practically nothing versus nearly everything which is what I thought I was paying for. Nowhere in that text does Virtual DJ make the claim that most of your music will be sourced from Net Search which is a free add on.

I really hope you understand my point here. What I am being sold and what is being delivered are two very very different things.

As far as the legality of Algoriddim DJay, I am not too sure what is legal and what is not. Any CD that you buy at full price will state in the small print that the CD is not permitted for commercial use and I am sure that exists within the T's & C's of iTunes as well as Spotify. What I do know if that in any club or venue in Ireland that it is the responsibility of the venue to pay for a licence from the PRO and based on surveys and collection of setlists etc they split royalties accordingly so I am not sure what would be deemed to be illegal or illegal here in Ireland. What I do know if that net search does not provide music for commercial use legally so what I thought was a legal service for the previous 6 years now turns out to be illegal by the looks of things.

Again, I hope that you understand my points here and why I think anyone that uses content unlimited can and should be annoyed at the sudden and serious change in terms of what it can deliver without notifying it's loyal customer base.

Now looking at this as an alternative. Anyone

https://www.pulselocker.com/info

It is a more expensive option but as someone else also stated, I wouldn't mind paying twice as much for a service that worked.

Posted Mon 17 Oct 16 @ 12:05 pm
39%