Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Strange one last night - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Been playing background music for an hour or two ok.
Loaded first track up to start playing "normally not automix" and when started listening to it in headphones just before playing it was really distorted.
At the time i had some chap talking on the mic really loud so probably clipping the MC6000? I noticed he was clipping my speakers as the clip light was coming on. I turned mic down to avoid him clipping speakers.
But once i started after he finished and having reloaded track i never got the issue again. ( i did reload several times why he had mic but still got distortion)
Could the mic clipping cause such a thing?

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 2:29 pm
Would doubt it. The mic circuitry on the MC6000 is separate to the audio.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 3:46 pm
It's all powered by the same supply though. Maybe the mic circuitry was trying to cope with the signal and sucking all the current, which in turn limited what was available to the rest of the unit - resulting in distortion as there wasn't enough juice to provide a clean cue signal.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 3:53 pm
Certainly got my attention, never had it before and all i can put it down to was this guy on the Mic. As i noticed the track playing with distortion, i just looked over at speakers saw them clipping hence why i though it might be the cause especially as it never happend after and never happened before.
The mic controls on the MC6000 mk1 are pants though, only needs a slight adjustment to go from nothing to loud, i mean a fraction too

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 4:24 pm
There's not a chance the mic preamp inside the MC6000 could affect the rest of the audiopath, "suck all the current" and such. No way!
We talk about low-power mic preamps that takes less current than driving a led.
There must be something else.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 15 @ 8:19 pm
Odd one then especially as it was fine before and after this chap had the mic?

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 7:19 am
Were either of you standing on carpet?

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 8:08 pm
No he was on a wooden dance floor, i might have been but then again i would have been all night if i was

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 8:12 pm
Yeah, but you weren't holding the mic. I was looking at the possibility of static. I don't know about over there, but here in the winter, I carry a spray bottle of water. I have had very bad experiences , and it took me a long time to figure it out.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 8:31 pm
Possible but i would have thought i would have got the issue on other tracks.
I just remember when it happened the chap on the mic was talking very loud into the mic and definitely was clipping the speakers, then i think i turned the mic gain down after i had no issues.
Any way of finding in log what track i was reloading to see if i can replicate it on that song?
Be nice to find what caused it as i don't want a repeat of that or i,ll need to carry backup pants with me
Maybe if i try with my mic, turn gain up talk through it and see if i get the same thing

But looking at some photos i was on carpet
Could have done with spare pants that night as on arrival i bent down and split mine lol

Will check my headphones too make sure no doggy cable, but again was fine all night too apart from this one instance

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 8:41 pm
Just tried with mic gain right up and it was fine, played the tracks i would have played at the time from looking in history and they were fine.
If i turn the channel gain right up so mixer is in the red i get the same issue but i know i never had gain right up as that was set and not moved.
Headphones are ok

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:18 pm
Wireless mic?

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:24 pm
This was with a wired mic

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:33 pm
Moved reply to a new thread as probably not relevant

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:54 pm
When I'm in the club, my master is at 12, and so are my channel gains. Your master may be different, because I am going through a Denon MP2016S mixer. My eq's are always set to 2 o'clock. My mobile setup is the same, except the master is usually at 9 or 10 o'clock, because my speakers are either at full or 3'oclock. All of these settings are based on my personal preferences and where I'm playing.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:16 pm

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:22 pm
I'm using as external also, and I don't hit red. My vu is steady at the top, (I love it), and I may have to add a little to a track coming in, as it may be a little quiet. On the whole, I do not have to touch my gain all night.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:29 pm
OK, So with all mine set at 12 including master on a good dance track with good bass i,m at +10 one before Red ( ON MIxer) . So that's ok is it? I have always thought you should aim for 0Db on mixer?

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:34 pm
That's where mine stays, but if you hit red momentarily, that's OK. You just can't stay in the red. You must also take into account, what's happening at the output.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:47 pm
Yes, thats why at the moment with new speakers i,m watching to make sure no clipping, will try these settings live tomorrow night, keep an eye on speakers and see what happens. Thanks

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 10:49 pm
29%