Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Clipbank and TellyMedia - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Don Moir wrote :
gabycorrea wrote :
It is a matter of practicality when it comes to change loops or videos to audio tracks only
but to explain it better would need to make a video .......
and explain in tellymedia repeatedly and is not practical ...
It is a great plug in but not for a dj
It is a plug in for a person who does only video at a party or at a nightclub
but a DJ needs to concentrate on the music ...
Part of loops or videos must be very practical, simple ......
with only two clicks should have changed the image on the screen ....
something that is achieved with clipbank.
tellymedia to do it with more clicks .......
but it is something that sometimes not everyone understands .......
leave this here
I repeat is a great plugin the telly
but not practical
Cheers

Explain how it takes more than 2 clicks in TM versus what you did in clipbank? Actually starts off with one click to activate it. One click if in manual mode to select another video. If in auto or random it continues automatically. Controllable by script as well.

should make a video so they could understand ....
but first and foremost is that I cover with the two decks clipbank ....
with the TM I must do so deck ....
also on occasion placed only in a position to master and can not get it off ........
Believe me, your work is very very good and appreciated but in my case for me is not practical.
and that is the reason I'm using version 7
I think the software should greatly simplify things and keep things simple.
my clients are demanding and should not be flawed because at the time of payment
I can have problems.
besides you knows that bad news travels very fast.
greetings to you
PD when time makes available an explanatory video

Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 @ 11:31 pm
Please state what version of TM you have tested with

1) but first and foremost is that I cover with the two decks clipbank ...with the TM I must do so deck ....

Please explain further...

2) also on occasion placed only in a position to master and can not get it off

VDJ7 or 8? In VDJ8 if you make multiple copies of any plugin and put them in multiple folders VDJ only loads the first one it comes to and this confuses people why they can't shut something off... It is because VDJ8 loaded something from somewhere unexpectedly. This is one reason but you may have something else in mind.

3) I think the software should greatly simplify things and keep things simple.

Explain how TM is difficult for you. How is clipbank easier when it limited to 12 videos?

4) besides you knows that bad news travels very fast.

Let's hear about the bad news... Do you mean when VDJ8 came out and there were several problems that caused VDJ to crash and had to do with several things. Do you mean something else?

You forgot one thing about clipbank along with other short comings. That is, when you ask me to make a change or wish for a feature, I pay attention to it. With clipbank it was left hanging with no real support.

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 12:25 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I don't see the conflict. You have TellyMedia activated on master, so of course it comes on top of the decks.
If you can't turn it off, you probably have it selected as audio only visualisation.
If you want manual control, select None in audioOnlyVisualisation

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 5:51 am
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
ok before the accident I had put in Visualization Only audio TM
After blocking all change again
you excuse my insistence, I just want to be helpful
In addition to not look bad in presentations
today is 2 djs night so I'm a little time
and the accident occurred just when I rested
Luckly .......

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 5:59 am
The main reason for me putting this thread up to decide on some issues and make sure things work as expected but the expectation is impossible the way it is.

The thing with audio only visualizations has never set well with me for these reasons and I have stated these before:

1) User is confused by it. It looks like it is a normal deck or master selection. User does not make a distinction for that. It moves from deck to deck depending on video selection. Where is it now? You can't turn if off either. It still pumps the plugin with OnStop and OnStart when you try. What? Give audio only visualizations a real home on the skin. While I believe this solves it, is it to late for that?

2) You have a user interface for each deck or master. Except these don't apply to that deck or master. It only changes it temporarily. The next time you run, those changes are probably gone depending on how you made the changes. Now with TM and since this does not make any sense, I tried to make it deck specific. This all works except it is impossible to tell if you are running as an audio only visualization. This is because GetInfo ("get_deck 'master' ? true : false",&query); always returns true for audio only vis. I was told this was going to be fixed but never was. Doesn't matter though because the whole thing is goofy.

3) While VDJ promotes the use of making copies, DON'T DO THIS. VDJ picks the first effect it comes to and not necessarily the one you selected or expected to come up. Then user is wondering what is going on when that doesn't turn off as expected. I have to go thru this with 3 confused users already so I know this is problem. How many are left hanging out there because of it? Add to this you can't deactivate an audio only vis even though it looks like can in the user interface? What?

If you add these things up and the outright crashes and confusion, that VDJ had caused initially and still, then maybe you can understand why there still might be problems today. I can almost instantly crash 2 of the plugins that are native plugins with VDJ. One thing I can do to help it to make TM more brain dead and to completely ignore deck specific data. This way it can fall into line with the other plugins and so will also not make any sense at from a users perspective. Except what I will need to do is to have one interface that controls all instances. I mean it is the only thing that makes sense other than deck specific the way it is setup.

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 7:16 pm
Thanks gaby for staying with it. Some make statements and I respond but they never follow up with it. We will get more into this in the days to come.

Posted Sun 18 Oct 15 @ 7:47 pm
Don Moir wrote :
3) While VDJ promotes the use of making copies, DON'T DO THIS. VDJ picks the first effect it comes to and not necessarily the one you selected or expected to come up. Then user is wondering what is going on when that doesn't turn off as expected. I have to go thru this with 3 confused users already so I know this is problem. How many are left hanging out there because of it? Add to this you can't deactivate an audio only vis even though it looks like can in the user interface? What?

I don't think we promote making copies, and I don't really see why you would do that. If there is an actual difference between how you expect these copies to behave, then you should also give them a different name.

Audio only visualisations should be turned off from the audio only visualisation selection. We could allow turning it off from a deck or master effect slot selection, but then it would become very confusing what needs to happen when the effect is turned on again. (Did the user just want to turn the effect on manually, or did the user expect the effect to be selected as audio only visualisation again and handled by vdj)

Quote :
I can almost instantly crash 2 of the plugins that are native plugins with VDJ.

Would you mind telling which plugins, and how you can make them crash instantly?

Posted Mon 19 Oct 15 @ 5:59 am
Adion wrote :
I don't think we promote making copies, and I don't really see why you would do that. If there is an actual difference between how you expect these copies to behave, then you should also give them a different name.

I remember back when I think it was you talking about how to make copies via the effects list into different folders. Maybe it is they can just be moved that way. Not sure right now and not sure how that works. The problem may be that someone will move an effect and then reinstall it. Then there will more than one copy with same name. I don't make copies with same name. But others are doing it on occasion maybe by accident and it causes confusion. I believe VDJ7 handles this properly by using the path as well as the name. So now at least 3 times someone is asking why they can't turn something off. The first time it took me quite a bit of time to realize why since I am not on that users machine. Add this into the mix with audio only vis that can't be turned off.

Adion wrote :
Audio only visualisations should be turned off from the audio only visualisation selection. We could allow turning it off from a deck or master effect slot selection, but then it would become very confusing what needs to happen when the effect is turned on again. (Did the user just want to turn the effect on manually, or did the user expect the effect to be selected as audio only visualisation again and handled by vdj)

Like it is not very confusing now :) I think this whole way of thinking is wrong. You are mixing audio only vis with user selectable effects. That is, the user sees no difference when an audio only vis appears in a deck or master slot as activated then if he manually did it himself. It effects the user interface that can just disappear depending on where the audio only vis is now and user does not know the difference and why would he. To me the solution is to have a special skin slot for audio only vis and not share it with deck or master slots. This removes the confusion and makes it clean. Also why are you still calling OnStop and OnStart when user tries to deactivate an audio only vis. Not that this is big deal internally but I find it rather strange that you do that. Is it because that part of the code is confused on what to do about it?

Adion wrote :
Would you mind telling which plugins, and how you can make them crash instantly?

Well it takes about 15 to 20 seconds. I had asked way back if anyone wanted to know this information and no one asked so glad your asking now. Also this is so easy that I would think you would already know that. With that said these crashes are not something a user is likely to do. Since I had to change machines completely due to lightning strike on dev machine I don't have the exact things in place for these right now. My cameras are all gone at present too. But will outline what you need to do from memory.

1) text effect: With the text effect, you needed to bring up the user interface, change the effect with a controller. Like using effect_select +1 or -1 and I don't recall completely. Thru a series of like script, the user interface will become orphaned and a crash will occur.

2) camera effect: this is an easy one but still less likely for user to do. Activate a camera. Unplug the camera from USB. At some point try to reactivate the non existing camera and it will crash. Apparently VDJ8 has no notion of what to do when a camera is unplugged.

This is from memory and has been months since I have tested these again. If you really need me to retest these things again, I will get the proper setup to do that but like I said I would think you should have already found these things long ago.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 15 @ 4:59 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Don Moir wrote :
1) text effect: With the text effect, you needed to bring up the user interface, change the effect with a controller. Like using effect_select +1 or -1 and I don't recall completely. Thru a series of like script, the user interface will become orphaned and a crash will occur.

I can't replicate that here; the interface stays open and is still valid - if I enter text into it and reactivate the text plugin then it works. The UI isn't orphaned and the software doesn't crash.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 15 @ 5:12 pm
I am looking into things gabriel... I will be updating the TM addon to 1.61. This will make it current with the current code base.

I was unable to reproduce crash with text effect so it appears that is fixed.

When looking at this, I am seeing that release is not called under certain circumstances when running as an audio only vis. Not saying this is the only thing but it is one thing and I will write this up as a bug report. Kind of odd circumstances when this happens but appears to be a hole nevertheless and can get it to happen every time.

Posted Tue 20 Oct 15 @ 5:29 pm
thanks for your time

Posted Tue 20 Oct 15 @ 6:17 pm
Just to let you know gabriel, I am still looking at things. The main thing right now is dealing with how the visualization instance moves around from deck to deck or master. There is only one real visualization instance and that instance moves around. This causes problems because from a users perspective it can be confusing. Also from TM's perspective this has been a problem. 2 crashes could occur. One was caused by VDJ and that has been fixed, and one was cause by TM trying to track the movement and this particular code was in there initially to try and track problems with VDJ when they were loading multiple instances on the same deck. It amounts to approximately the same thing but that has been fixed in TM.

Now the thing is to make sense out of the nonsense. The nonsense is the way audio only vis moves from deck to deck or master and potential interface for each and the amount of confusion that can cause when things just disappear from the user interface and the way they are trying share audio only vis with decks or master.. There is nothing I can do about that except complain since that is the way it works currently in VDJ. There is something I can do about it from TM's perspective so it is not so strange but it is a lot about jumping thru hoops to make it work. I assume a user will do anything the user interface allows them to do so I am taking that into account. VDJ's perspective seems to be well 'just don't do that'. There is a 100 percent guarantee that the 'just don't do that' things will happen either accidentally or because the user interface says it's here and so should be able to do that.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 15 @ 3:15 pm
ok thank you very much for your time and interest in my case
I will be attentive to the news that arise
Thanks again

Posted Thu 22 Oct 15 @ 4:53 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Don you've probably read the problems of me getting my head round a completely blank screen when v8 is running audio only, (I only use a two deck set up) just can't understand why this is the way it is as no other software does this.

I need to have it as it was in V7, simply put, if using say clipbank for audio only files...

deck 1 is running > clipbank runs selected video (viewable in both deck 1 monitor and master output)

deck 2 is paused > clipbank is static on monitor (viewable only in deck 2)

Press play on deck 2 and move slider towards deck 2 > decks mix on master and deck 2 now becomes "live" after slider is at 100% on deck 2.

Deck 1 is now inactive and user can visually see which is the free deck to be next loaded.

Hope I explained myself well enough, if you can add this to your plugin you'll have another convert and possibly a few more like minded people.

Cheers.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 15 @ 2:29 pm
100% agree with that

Posted Fri 23 Oct 15 @ 3:44 pm
The reason a plugin/sample playing on the master does not show on a deck preview is because it is not coming from the deck.
This is important, because it means that video_level, video crossfader or video transition do not affect what is displayed.
It is therefore only shown in the master preview.

Showing the output of a master plugin on the decks is similar to asking for the deck vu meters to show the master vu when no audio is playing.
It is only confusing since using the level faders for that deck would not affect the vu meter or the sound.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 15 @ 4:37 pm
With the utmost respect, please confuse me as much as you can, we had it for years in V7 and I got a long with it great and so did everyone else, there is no other software as far as I know that now has the format vdj is using.

Yeah ok, lets have blank screens on video decks, doh, it has always being a visual aid to people using video with audio only files, sure some are using v8 with out this, but I'm sorry I can't. Even Joe public has noticed... when a punter comes up to the booth and looks at the screen and asks is there a problem with your outputs on the decks, or is it crashing, you seriously know there is a problem with the set up.

Look I know I'm a pain in the arse but you have got this wrong, it was fine in V7 why can't it be implemented in V8, and while we are on and, I'm gonna be shot at dawn, why take away all the good stuff that was on the video side on V7 and brush it aside when people ask for a plugin or a features return in V8.

Is V8 not capable of the old features of V7, please get away from the audio side for a few month and devote some time to the video users, I'm sure out of the millions of users I can't be the only one (I might be the most vocal) that is missing the video features of V7.

Again and said with respect, guys I'm the first to put my hands up when I'm wrong, God, how many times have I done that here, please acknowledge the long standing users requests and re - implement the video features we have lost.

Posted Sat 24 Oct 15 @ 1:14 am
tayla wrote :
Yeah ok, lets have blank screens on video decks, doh, it has always being a visual aid to people using video with audio only files, sure some are using v8 with out this, but I'm sorry I can't. Even Joe public has noticed... when a punter comes up to the booth and looks at the screen and asks is there a problem with your outputs on the decks, or is it crashing, you seriously know there is a problem with the set up.

There's a master video preview on the skin as well, so it's not blank.
If the skin you are using does not have a master video preview then I guess the skin could be modified to show the master video if no video is playing on the deck.[/quote]

Quote :
Look I know I'm a pain in the arse but you have got this wrong, it was fine in V7 why can't it be implemented in V8, and while we are on and, I'm gonna be shot at dawn, why take away all the good stuff that was on the video side on V7 and brush it aside when people ask for a plugin or a features return in V8.

*all the good stuff* is a bit of a stretch isn't it? Unless I forgot something, your main complaints were the deck video preview screens, and the clipbank.
The video preview screens I already explained above.
The clipbank in v7 was quite limited so I'm not sure what you miss about it.
For playing random video clips automatically when there's no video, the Slideshow plugin is much more useful since it can select video clips randomly.
For selecting specific clips to play, the sampler has more options than the clipbank.

Posted Sat 24 Oct 15 @ 5:34 am
I have a lot to say about all this and almost don't know where to begin so starting from the beginning of VDJ8 release. There is a lot to explain so will probably reference some of the things that have been mentioned piecemeal.

tayla wrote :
With the utmost respect, please confuse me as much as you can

Confusion seems to be part of the design principle for VDJ8. Some already know as mentioned above but will explain later.

When the first VDJ8 'release' came out some things were pretty bad, especially visualizations. There were other things that were pretty bad as well. Like multiple instances coming up on same deck. It was easy to have 3 or 4 instances running on the same deck. Visualizations easily crashed VDJ8 and at first I did what I could to prevent TM and TV running as visualizations in 8. Then it got a little better and then broken again and then broken again and then broken again. All the time I am suffering thru this trying to report problems, taking blame for crashing, and trying to help out end users. It was very clear to me that this was no release version. It was very clear that no real thought was given to visualizations and other things. Now we have this thing they call a release and we also have beta's. Will the real release please stand up :) I still consider the VDJ8 release a beta. If you don't use the beta's, then you are likely to have problems with the release versions and that goes on and on. This kind of things where things are broken in the release and then fixed in the beta's and then re-broken seems to be somewhat of an endless cycle. After all we were told by Atomix staff that a VDJ8 release would be well tested (by who I wonder). I have the quotes from the staff but don't need to go there. VDJ7 was not perfect but it was easy to use and made sense on how to use it. I spent a lot of time trying to deal with the VDJ8 bugs and strange nature of some of it and it got a point where I said to myself I need to pause on the visualizations for awhile. Maybe they will come to their senses I am thinking. No joy on that though. They just patched another hole the other day with them. I also corrected a problem with TM that had to do with tracking freakin VDJ bugs but this tracking is necessary if you want things to make sense. I call the VDJ8 interface a bug lol. I can make it work the VDJ8 way but that does not make sense. I am deciding what to do about it now after I have rested on visualizations for awhile. Also in the early days of the VDJ8 release I am thinking I should have never started down the VDJ8 path but I am glad now that I stuck with it. No one is trying to bad mouth anyone. We all want the same thing, stuff that works and makes sense.

In the next few days I will make more directed comments.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 4:21 am
It's like driving a car that won't allow you to see the turn signals... and no other manufacturer seems to think it's a good idea either, maybe's it may take them a few years to catch on to this new innovation.

I keep hearing reasons why it's not there, but I don't hear any reasons why it can't be brought back, unless the software is incapable of handling it.

I don't suppose copying the code from v7 into v8 will work would it, lol.

A pint on the bar to the first one to fix it... rofl.

Posted Sun 25 Oct 15 @ 9:40 am
15%