Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Can we have a dedicated thread for automix please? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm finding it hard to keep up with posts related to Vers8 Automix, 'cos they're spread all over the place. Maybe if we get a dedicated thread here on this page we could collect wishes to be looked at when the Automix feature "gets the love that it deserves".
THX
Ray

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 6:06 am
I would really, really, pretty please ... like to be able to drag and drop the automix points on the fly direct in the waveform(like in Ver7) maybe as an option instead of using the automix editor, or the poi editor.

Remove intro/outro mode doesn't seem to work unless I go to each of my songs in the poi editor and set the automix points to a place in the song, as nearly all of my songs have the automix pooints just stacked on top of each other at the begin and end of the song, so does this mean that i need to set each song manually or can this be done automatically?

If the different automix modes are related to poi's, it might be easier to understand when the mix mode and the poi shared the same name.

maybe some contol over the lenght of mix now

....just some food for thought.

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 11:28 am
I've set the some of the custom buttons to "mix now", the next one to "skip" the next one to "automix mix now, no bpm" and it does'nt seem seem to make any difference ... it just thjrows the next track in with a three second cross-fader!
Am I doing something wrong?

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 4:04 pm
It seems like Automix is not so important in the eyes of the team, that's a real shame because it's the main reason that I bought this product in the first place.

Posted Thu 02 Oct 14 @ 3:06 pm
would it be possible to reduce the size of the Automix editor by removing the black bar that just says automix editor and integrate the next bar with the two times down onto the bottom by the bpm match button somewhere.
I know that the window is resizeable, it would be just nice to save the space so that i can leave it open and move my mixpoints around on the fly ... yeah I've checked it.
Thanks in advance!

Posted Fri 03 Oct 14 @ 9:50 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Further to this, atomix please stop using windows that are unscriptable, just panel it (entire deck space, with a browser window for tracks in the list) then stuff can be controller controllable.
As is it feels like you've just tacked it on.
Also a numbered beat/bar/phrase measure would be helpful too.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 14 @ 11:20 am
locodog wrote :
Further to this, atomix please stop using windows that are unscriptable, just panel it (entire deck space, with a browser window for tracks in the list) then stuff can be controller controllable.
As is it feels like you've just tacked it on.
Also a numbered beat/bar/phrase measure would be helpful too.

Hey "crazydog" although I find your input pretty good I have to ask as a "home user" why do you need this at all?

Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 @ 6:06 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I honestly don't use automix for anything other than playing continuous music when I'm at home/sleeping/checking new tunes BUT the thing is I can make HID devices so I want to see EVERYTHING scriptable.

Also I won't be a home user for much longer, I'm just holding off for a few bug fixes and the $ to £ exchange rate to be as favourable as possible.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 14 @ 7:31 pm
Lol, Loco every time I read one of your posts there seems to be some references to your home license. Think your contribution to the forums should at least earn you some more stars. Plus spot on with script, if you knew where you script error was in the string you could rectify it much quicker.

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 5:39 pm
Still collecting wishes and ideas

I wish that it would be possible to see the automix points on the waveform, like you can see cue points, and then maybe move or set them with the cue buttons, or any old buttons that just happen to be lying around.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 10:15 am

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 5:10 pm
@ groovindj
Thanx for that link. I only started to use the forum this year, it's a really big learning curve, and i respect the work that has gone into this software.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and hope for the best-

I do not expect a computer program to anticipate/guess where I want to set the full, fade, tempo, cut in and out POI's. But I would like to be able to set/change/see those points just as if they were cue points, because as far as I understand it, one can change,delete,move, them around pretty easy.
And then It would be very nice if the Automix options were clearly defined to the POI's.
I know I'm not very clever but that sounds pretty easy to me, Big Smile

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 6:50 pm
Groovin... I was expecting more from you... :P

All points can be converted or be made visible e.t.c. via the POI editor now.
So yes the automix points can be made visible. Or, yes you can convert a standard hot cue to a mix point.

"It's all on the manual, page 61 !!!"

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 7:03 pm
raypitman wrote :
Still collecting wishes and ideas

I wish that it would be possible to see the automix points on the waveform, like you can see cue points, and then maybe move or set them with the cue buttons, or any old buttons that just happen to be lying around.

Each track has 6 automix points (Fade In, Tempo In, Cut In, Fade Out, Tempo Out, Cut Out) and usually they are close enough with each other as well.
Making the automix points visible by default just clutters the waveforms.
That's why automix points are hidden by default. However you can make them visible via POI editor.
Also you can convert any standard hot_cue to an automix point.

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 7:10 pm
Yes you can manually go in to every one of your tracks and spend time converting all cues to automix points...

But that's far too slow and not really what was being suggested in the post from 2011 that I mentioned.

Many people already have cue points on their tracks, which they have lovingly crafted over many years of DJing with VDJ. It would be nice to simply have an option for automix to use those, rather than needing separate automix ones.

You know - a command like "use cue points for automix" or "copy cue points to automix points". :-)

Posted Thu 30 Oct 14 @ 7:15 pm
Yes, I understand that. But I can't find anything useful in batch "use_hotcues_for_automix"
Most of my tracks have at least 3 hotcues, and lately I tend to use more as I have more space for that on my controller.
Now the question is: How would the software know which hot_cues of the "6", "7" or even "8" should use for automix ? And for which type of automix too ?
Also please do not forget that the vast majority of users set hot_cues on places they would like to START the song from. Almost no-one places hot_cues on places they desire to stop mixing.
So, how should the software proceed ? How should it know where to start the mix and where to end it ? (based on your hot_cues)
Also there are many users that place their hotcues in "random" order. Meaning that hot cue 1 for example may be on the start of the song on one track, on the start of a verse on another, e.t.c. I mean that they don't follow any specific pattern. How should the software read these hot_cues in this case ?

I'm not arguing. I'm trying to understand and see if there's an easy way that CAN be useful. If we find an easy and useful way to implement this, I can forward it on the development team.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 2:58 am
I'm sure Serato DJ has a setting to allow cue points to be renumbered by elapsed time.

An option like this would then allow the first cue point by time in any track to be used by Automix if desired.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 3:11 am
groovin +1.

Phantom, thx for your input, yes I've read page 61(actually I've read the whole manual) but actually there are 8 automix Poi's .. you forgot Full start/Full exit.
Although they are not always all in a track, even the example on page 61 shows that in this case there is a Fade exit poi, but no corresponding Fade Start. Ok, maybe somebody had previously deleted it in this case, but in my files a lot of tracks are missing some POI's and it is a slow process for me to create/edit them.
And I didn't ask for the Poi's to be visible by default, you're quite right, that would be terrible. I was thinking more like an option, or just when the tracks are active in Automix mode.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 3:14 am
I've been thinking about this a little more ....
First it would be good if every track had all 8 automix points automatically set in it, unlike now when sometimes there are only 5 or 6.
Then when a track is loaded (I'm using Fruit's skin) i can now choose to show the "cue" points or not, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to use these for automix, that would be too confusing, as I also have a lot of "hot cues" set on a lot of my songs but I don't use them when I'm in Automix mode (yes I sometimes turn Automix off and pretend to be real DJ!).
So, if I could also choose to show the Automix POI's(instead, not as well) then maybe I could set/edit/change them using the "hot cue" or effect buttons on my controller(that I'm gonna buy next week) which has 8 buttons! Easy Peasy, quick and intuitive. I could set buttons 1+8 to mix full, 2+7 to mix fade, 3+6 to mix tempo, 4+5 mix cut. Or whatever.
Personally I never use "smart mode" because it doesn't work well, but that's not surprising when some of the Poi's are missing, .ie when the song now playing has a "cut exit" but the next song does'nt have a "cut start".
Please do not misunderstand me, I'm not just saying "Automix doesn't work, make it work"!
I'm trying to suggest ways to make it more user friendly, these are only my wishes, and I hope they can come true.
Peace, Love, and lot's of respect to the team that have brought this software so far.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 8:40 am
Perhaps a new option could be added :-

Use V7 automix. If switched on, then VDJ8 would work as per VDJ7, allowing the user to move the slide positions for mix start and mix end etc.

If the option is not set, then the new VDJ8 automix features would be used.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 14 @ 4:01 am
71%