Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Constant Skin redrawing eating the CPU - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Yeah it's generally easier to write unoptimized code then it is to write optimized code so people will get sloppy this way. I suspect at least some developers at VDJ have to be saying, "see I told you so" haha maybe not but then why not. Really, drawing everything, skin, buttons, etc. at some FPS, buttons ? just craziness

rlove, you an old time programmer too and so you have been thru the evolution. We always find a way to make todays fast machines slow in the future and so never a good idea to abandon optimization.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 10:22 am
AndrewPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi Don,

This issue has already been resolved in the current beta (I added you to the team) and will be released to the public soon.

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 12:35 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Would a 'reset' of settings be in order to take full advantage of the updates since the delivery of 8 back in may?

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 12:42 pm
Resetting your settings I doubt will do anything, you'll have to get the newest beta version......

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 1:00 pm
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
If you are saying that this issue is resolved in 1845.690, I have bad news since it's not...
(I've been running it since it was released and the laptop still gets super hot and shuts down due to thermal protection.)

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 1:42 pm
rlovePRO InfinityMember since 2010
Don Moir wrote :

rlove, you an old time programmer too and so you have been thru the evolution. We always find a way to make todays fast machines slow in the future and so never a good idea to abandon optimization.

Yup... I've written my fair share of assembler when writing arcade games and you needed to fit an entire application, graphics, and sound within mere MB's of ROM's. We didn't have the luxury of the amounts of copious capacity that we have these days... Unfortunately, young programmers will never know... :-(

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 1:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Guys;

Can I please remind you that this is a bug reporting forum not a discussion forum.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 2:26 pm
Andrew wrote :
Hi Don,

This issue has already been resolved in the current beta (I added you to the team) and will be released to the public soon.

I had no indication that it was even acknowledged as something that was going to be fixed. There were some comments made here that nothing to do with the real problem so I was left wondering. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity :)

Is the FPS still a thing or not ? Should not be but if it is and 30 FPS is at 0 - 3 percent CPU when idle on slow machine then fine.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 2:41 pm
the bug is still present in BETA (1845.690).

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 3:31 pm
X

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 7:22 pm
TulsaDJPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Another thing I've noticed is the "browserTextFit" can cause high cpu/gpu usage if you have a ton of tracks with long titles, scrolling side to side. If you have the search list, and sidelist/automix window open, with 25 songs on each side, and they're all scrolling side to side, that's 25 songs (title and artist) on each side, that ends up being 100 text boxes scrolling text side to side. Up to the user, but you can try shrink or fixed. For some reason there is not a hover text for fields with long titles, so if you pick fixed, you might have trouble picking out a track if you have several versions of it.

I've had good luck with maxskinfps of 20. Just wish my laptop was more like my home desktop. With a 6 core AMD chip and a Radeon HD 6700 with 1GB memory, the 30fps don't seem to bother it a bit.

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 8:54 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For me it's only scrolling the selected track, so only if you also do a select all in both files and sideview list would you see all files scrolling at the same time.

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 9:03 am
OK guys, this is my current take on this issue;

I have tried a couple of weekends in one of my hot residencies to use V8, after crashing with other issues (corrupt videos), I had V8 crash due to excessive heat 2 weeks ago. I had to switch to V7 for the last hour, I guessed it was heat as I had this same issue in the same venue over 4 years ago when running PCs. A laptop cooler solved that.

I've been running a mid 2010 MBP 15" i7 with 750Gb HD & 2Tb external HD bootcamped with Windows 7 for 4 years now. I use VDJ on the bootcamped PC side. The temperature has always been marginal even with V7 as I use videos 100% of the time. I was running a temperature monitor program in the background and found V8 pushed the cores to 95 - 100C at my residency!!! The last 2 weekends I was not confident enough to use V8 at this venue and used V7.

After picking up the various tips on here regarding the skinFPS etc. I did loads of testing at home using the same temperature monitoring program. I found that the laptop cooler did nothing for the temperatures, PCs usually have their air intake on the underneath of the laptop whereas Macs are solid underneath and have their air intake/outlet along the hinge at the back. I am still using the cooling plate as it has 3 USB connections which I use to power my PCtoTV convertor and my iPod. With new settings last night I managed to run a full night with all video for 4 1/2 hours. Checking the core temperatures throughout the night and at the end of the gig they were between 69 -72C that's considerable less than before. I still felt like I was walking on eggshells.

These are the details of my settings;
VDJ8 version 1845.690

browser textfit = fixed
videoFPS = 20
video MicroFrames = never
skinFPS = 20

Speedfan 4.49 by Alfredo Milani Comparetti 2000 - 2013
has a graph display that can show the core temperatures in graphical form

Crystalidea Macs Fan Control 1.1.11 (MacBookPro6,2)
running sensor based values;
Left fan based on Core 0 = 60 - 70C
Right Fan based on Core 1 = 60 - 70C

I have a 2 hour short rock gig tonight, but, don't have any video output. Plus its a lot cooler than my Friday residency, so happy to use V8.

Cheers
Les

PS. Didn't notice any difference in the skin display or the video output on the external screens. ;-)

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 2:24 pm
Rock gig went flawlessly with V8. Checked core temperatures at the end of the gig and found them to be 60-62C

May have cracked this heat problem. :-)

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 10:35 pm
you don't need to modify other options, just change "maxSkinFPS" to 15 & "songLoadPriority" to idle (both options are in advanced options).

Posted Sat 21 Jun 14 @ 10:41 pm
I've read all the messages here and I have to say this... People who are saying that you need to tweak and mess with the settings to get it stable is ridiculous. The software should work right out the box. Install it and it should just work. I understand customizing midi devices to your needs, but we shouldn't need to dig deep to get it working. I have a Mac and all the software I use doesn't need any type of tweaking for it to work. VDJ8 is worse on the Mac than it is on the PC and tweaking doesn't do anything.

In my opinion I would have to say the launch of VDJ8 should have waited so it's stable first. I saw the complaints of people waiting for it, but you know what? You should've been patient and not complained. Now that it's out and has issues well... That's your own fault for complaining to release something that's not ready for prime time in the first place...

I am a fan of VDJ8, because it offers some great features, but as stability goes that's a different story. I've already had issues with VDJ7 on the Mac for PC-to-PC streaming and video.... I waited long for this release hoping that these issues will be fix. It's true that videos work a lot better, but the PC-to-PC streaming issue still exists AND it crashes quite often...

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 2:16 am
Yes they should have had a longer more public beta testing period.

The tweaks mentioned here are hopefully just a stop gap until it's fixed and according to Andrew in next public beta. Mac issues, I don't know.

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 3:17 am
Absolutely, these work abounds aren't expectations. Of course we hope to fix all the issues as soon as possible without the need for work-a-rounds.

The current public beta is 1845 which reportedly performs much better on a Mac (I haven't tested myself).

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 3:44 am
I can happily report, I hade step a flawless gig last night with the current Beta Build 1845..... Best VDJ8 has performed mixing Videos / Transitions / Milkdrop, Totally agree the VDJ Team / Developers are heading in the right direction massive step forwards in CPU Performance, smoothness, video performance.

Well done to the team!!, You are making huge inroads with this current build. Keep up the good work guy's....... All we can do is work thru it with you, keep reporting and with this great community we will all get there (Rome wasn't built in a day!)

Thanks again

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 4:49 am
Another hot busy night at my residency last night. VDJ8 ran flawlessly with these settings below, temperature of the cores at the end of the night were 67-69C. Used a couple of plugins through the sampler this time and EV beta with no problems. Very pleased with the performance now, feel really confident in VDJ8. :-)

These are the details of my settings;
VDJ8 version 1855.699

browser textfit = fixed
videoFPS = 20
video MicroFrames = never
skinFPS = 20
songLoadPriority = Idle

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 4:12 am
53%