Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: post fader FX - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
No you need to be much more specific, you WANT the trails to stop at some point, you don't want them to run forever.
why don't you have your controller up faders mapped to VDJ, you're asking for PFFX and not using faders, That's like demanding snow tires for your car but living in mexico
and if you're not using faders you don't want to use the volume effect you just want to kill the gain.
this is what you want.

cycle "POST" 2 & var_equal "POST" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 48% & gain 0 : var_equal "POST" 0 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & gain 0.5

prerequisites
the echo effect is on
the echo strength is set to 0%
restFXOnLoad in options is set to off..
This is meant for the active deck, you can do it per deck this is simple

What happens
you're playing a track, you press a button, the track mutes the trails start, then the trails will decay and repeat around 8 cycles, at which point you change track, press play and also you press the first button again so you don't get trails on your new track

Press on, press off
If you want longer/shorter Change the 48% to something else.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 3:34 am
well with the vci400 they are mapped, but my timecode setup is hybrid mixer and i dont use the software mixer. My mixer is better for scratch style hiphop djing, but it has midi also..

Also when i say dont stop, example the loopout plug in is a mimic of hitting echo and having those echoes trail until it fade out. So if i start the trails and quickly load a track it wont cut off the trails...listen to my FB friend and pay attention to the echoe trail and still load a song

See how at 1:50, 2:50, 4:20, 6:26 before the trails have stopped he has already loaded a song on that same deck...thats what i mean by the trails not stopping.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 6:30 am
Try the script above and turn effect reset on load option off,
Then tell me how it behaves.

There's a lot you can't see with that video he could be doing many things one could be cloning out the deck and muting the source but letting the echo play out, so it echo doesn't interfere with the next track. (which is how serato does PFFX isn't it?)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 7:19 am
I have used serato traktor and mixvibes and that is how they all do...if u even have a demo try for yourself so I know for a fact that you activate the echo stop the track load a song and the echoes will continue. that is normal for post fader effects. I have tryed everything but vdj is the only software not capable of this.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:13 am
You've tried nothing near everything, have you tried the script above?

Tell me exactly what you do with serato (every event, action, button press)

If your hybrid mixer can make VDJ fader_start you can do this (Maybe it can maybe it can't YOU have to test I've only got the software in front of me)
cycle "post" 2 & fader_start on & var_equal "post" 1 ? deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 99% & deck 1 load : deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0%

Prerequisites
echo on, strength 0%, effect reset on load off, load security off, your next selected track highlighted in the browser
Action
Press the button once the track will stop the echo will start/continue the new track will be loaded to deck but it won't start playing until the up fader has gone down to 0% and then up some, when you press the fader up you also press the button again to switch the echo off

Question does your mixer up faders fake the up faders on VDJ's mixer?

I've got another method that uses invisible decks and automatic decay.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 9:19 am
locodog wrote :

If your hybrid mixer can make VDJ fader_start you can do this (Maybe it can maybe it can't YOU have to test I've only got the software in front of me)
cycle "post" 2 & fader_start on & var_equal "post" 1 ? deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 99% & deck 1 load : deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0%

Prerequisites
echo on, strength 0%, effect reset on load off, load security off, your next selected track highlighted in the browser
Action
Press the button once the track will stop the echo will start/continue the new track will be loaded to deck but it won't start playing until the up fader has gone down to 0% and then up some, when you press the fader up you also press the button again to switch the echo off

Question does your mixer up faders fake the up faders on VDJ's mixer?

I've got another method that uses invisible decks and automatic decay.

Can u explain it better so i can try it i do not know in the setting how to hook this up.

I download the plugin where do i find it in the skin

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 10:56 am
The plugin should be in your effects, this is getting confusing for me as I've figured out 3 ways today how to get different ways to work

This is the proper version for proper PFFX

If you effect VDJs mixer with your external controller this is what you want to do [not for analogue mixers]
Add this effect to ONINT mapping for every deck eg
deck 1 effect_active 'volume' & deck 2 effect_active 'volume'

on every deck, remap your controllers up faders from V8's mixer to this effect,
deck 1 level
Change to
deck 1 effect_slider 'volume' 1

switch effectResetOnLoad to off in the options panel.

This bit is just visual and can be skipped for testing purposes

edit the skin xml link the up faders to this effect
[default 2 deck xml line 350]
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="left" action="level" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
Change to
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="left" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'volume' 1" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
[also Line 359]
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="right" action="level" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
Change to
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="right" action="deck 2 effect_slider 'volume' 1" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">

Every effect applied will be post fader. To test
Use this script on a custom button

cycle "POSTFX" 2 & var_equal "POSTFX" 1 ? deck 1 effect_active 'echo' 1 & deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0% & effect_slider 'echo' 2 50% : effect_slider 'echo' 1 90%
Play a track on deck 1 at least 8 seconds before you want to do PFFX press the custom button once this press PRIMES the effect (you can press it as early as you want), when you want PFFX press the button again, play with the fader, change track, just after you start the new track press the button again, this silences the echo and PRIMES the effect for next time

Method 2

If you want an manual echo fade and want to have the next track ready (this doesn't use the new Volume effect)
If you can make VDJ fader start from your external equipment
put this on a custom button.
If you can't fader start this is the custom button
cycle "post" 2 & var_equal "post" 1 ? deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 99% & deck 1 load : deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0% & deck 1 play
Prerequisites
deck 1 echo on, strength 0%, effect reset on load off (option in config), load security off (config), Have your next desired track highlighted in the browser
Action
Play a track on deck 1 press the button once the track will stop the echo will start/continue the new track will be loaded to deck but it won't start playing until the up fader has gone down to 0% and then up some, when you press the fader up you also press the button again to switch the echo off, (or if you can't fader start the echo will stop and the new track will play on the second press.

Method 3 The invisble deck ninja method (not really postfader, it clones the echo to another unseen deck

If you want the echo to naturally decay and play a new tune over the echo on the same deck (like the echo out effect used to work?)
Put this on a custom button
cycle "$ClonePost" 3 & var_equal "$ClonePost" 1 ? deck 3 load & deck 3 unload & deck 1 clone_deck 3 & deck 3 level 0% & deck 3 effect_active 'echo' 1 & deck 3 effect_slider 'echo' 1 0% & deck 1 select : var_equal "$ClonePost" 2 ? deck 1 stop & deck 1 load & deck 3 level 100% & deck 3 effect_slider 'echo' 1 80% & deck 3 stop : deck 3 effect_active 'echo' 0
Prerequisites
2 deck skin,
deck 3 has to share the same outputs as deck 1 in sound config (usually 1&2)
Have your next desired track highlighted in the browser.

Action, play a track on deck 1, near the mix out point press the button once the effect is PRIMED, when you want to echo out press the button again, (the echo out is actually happening on deck 3 out of sight) A new track loads on deck 1 you can play this, press the button a third time to mute the echo

There's possibilities for ironing out some kinks especially method 3 , but give then a try
[It's bloody difficult to be exact without an exact goal]

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:03 pm
locodog wrote :

When i used serato i mapped the echo effect to the E key, and when i wanted that in my transition i hit E

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:34 pm
Locodag ill try this on my VCI400 cause when i use my M70 i dont want to use the software mixer it cant handle what i do,Ill connect my vci400 tonight and tell you how it works.But i would rather have the effect just work,for now i use Loopout effect but it cuts the trails if i load a track before it finishes.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:38 pm
Can we just have post fader effects instead of re-coding the software, does atomix see us rewritten things to give us standard effects. Sheesh but when i get settled tonight ill try these methods

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:43 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
so this has to be done for ever FX i want to act like this...to much, just give us post fader...its a standard practice.

right! please Atomix Support give all users this function in the options window.
thank you

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:54 pm
How do you turn it off, your description is very lacking in detail, I need to know every step and what happens, how many cycles before the effect is silent
Also actually try the methods
I think that it could be a one press deal [Method 3 ]if I could add a script to the skin that when the output reaches near 0 it switches it off and then periodically clones a deck silently in the background.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 2:18 pm
locodog wrote :
How do you turn it off, your description is very lacking in detail, I need to know every step and what happens, how many cycles before the effect is silent
Also actually try the methods
I think that it could be a one press deal [Method 3 ]if I could add a script to the skin that when the output reaches near 0 it switches it off and then periodically clones a deck silently in the background.

What do you mean turn it off it, turns itself off when its finished the cycle you set.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 2:33 pm
That would be some of the detail I was referring to, how about when you start the next track does any of that get included in the echo if it is long enough?

Out of all the method method 3 sounds like how you want it.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 3:29 pm
Stop being cheap and buy a mixer with a send/return already. ........ And flame me if you want but if its not a true post fader effect your still not gonna be happy anyway. I've been asking for this since before 8 was even mentioned and its still not here and were still depending on the user base for effects.

I don't know about y'all but my time is worth more then sitting around testing out scripts.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 3:53 pm
nah i think i just get mixvibes or serato or traktor cause everything we are asking for are made standard in those softwares mixvibes has video and is stable. Im just getting tired of dealing with this when i dont have too. I like alot about VDJ but after dealing with other softwares im seeing where even with all the bells and whistle VDJ only catered too certain djs..mostly edm and im scratch hip hop dj and as much as i like the bells and whistles im looking for the core to be perfect or atleast measurable to others so i wont look to others to fill in where this one lacks. When I didnt see any djs performing scratch routines with VDJ i should have took that as sign....but you live and you learn..

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 4:34 pm
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
+1 on post fader effects per channel option

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:31 pm
webedgePRO InfinityMember since 2010
actually, the echo fx does do post fx....

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:08 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
webedge wrote :
actually, the echo fx does do post fx....

How is that webedge? Maybe for Master... not per channel.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:12 am
webedgePRO InfinityMember since 2010
i just select the echo fx on which ever deck i want to echo and hit stop and keeps on until the echo fades away.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 9:31 pm
15%