Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: what happened to the "timeline" ? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

At some point during the development of version 8, we started to advertise that we were working on a new "timeline" concept.
We fully implemented this new timeline, and even started to show some beta previews at various tradeshows and exhibitions.
But the more we used it, the more we realized that, while it sounded great on paper and made for great marketing headlines, it was not so useful in real-life situations for working DJs.

VirtualDJ's core business is to provide a tool for live use.
Despite how sexy it sounded, mixing live on a timeline, was just not something a real DJ would find useful.
Because we do not want to bloat our software with unuseful features, we just decided to drop the whole timeline idea and start again from scratch.
Making a software that is a useful tool for working DJs is more important to us than meeting deadlines or making nice marketing ads.
So, instead of a timeline, we split most of the functionalities that we tried to accomplish with it, into separate built-in "editors".
This makes for a much more useful tool for real-life situations.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:17 pm
Any chance of it being made available as an option/plug-in/add-on (even one that we pay for if we want to have it)?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:36 pm
groovindj wrote :
Any chance of it being made available as an option/plug-in/add-on (even one that we pay for if we want to have it)?

+1000

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 1:07 pm
I second that as well ^^

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 1:29 pm
+1

I bought VDJ based on the preview videos of version 8 and the timeline feature was the main selling point for me. I was a big fan of mixmeister and would have loved the option of a timeline feature. To be honest I do feel a little cheated after waiting so long to find out the best feature of the new version has been cut.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 1:46 pm
the one thing i really wanted and its not on it . maybe in the future they will add it

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 2:00 pm
:-( This is the one VD8 feature I wanted. I loved the idea of being able to do a mix tape and then go back and tweak and tidy up and mixing errors before cutting the final MP3. Sure, I could do that in Ableton but you can't DJ live with Ableton (at least, not in the conventional way). Add my voice to the votes asking you to consider adding this feature after all.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 2:16 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
disappointed that timeline is not available, was really looking forward to it.
wanted to make mix tapes with the feature and now i cant, what now?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 2:57 pm
Look up the skin MSIII it has a larger version of the timeline

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 2:59 pm
What^^?? There is no timeline no matter what skin you use.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 5:37 pm
splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I too was hoping for the timeline. It is the one feature that I was salivating over. I do like the other great features they added and I am grateful for the time the put in to create VDJ 8. I will just use Ableton when I have to do a timeline. As they say 2 out of 3 ain't bad..lol

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 6:09 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you go into the automix section there is kind of a timeline feature there......Not nearly as cool as what the previews promised but I'm thinking its a good start

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 7:49 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
The Automix Editor is similair to timeline. But we also have BPM Editor, Track Cleaner and more. As someone who was using timeline, I am MUCH happier with all the editors and such.

What was it you wanted to do with timeline that V8 doesn't allow you to do?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:40 pm
OK picture this scenario.. You have a mix or a megamix (or a full cd-rip of a continuous 70min mix) and you ewant to add video clips to it.
Will the video editor let yo do this?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:46 pm
Yes.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 8:53 pm
Bad decision :(

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:30 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is there way to implement fade in fade out by beats, not by seconds? Also when editing by beat match mode it is real sluggish. That is the only issue I have with it.
DJ Kavika

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 9:30 pm
Now I am not happy because timeline feature was what attracted me to buy virtual dj pro.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:07 am
That's how it goes. Great concept, but did not make it to production.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:33 am
The timeline concept was disassembled and made into powerful features such as the automix editor, sampler, and other editors in order to preserve the live functionality of the software. You will still be able to use the concept, just over a different series of features.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 12:47 am
18%