Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Coffin owners for 3 piece set up... Any Regrets? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It\'s my first time to own a coffin. I bought it for my Pioneer DJM900/CDJ2000Nexus set up. I\'ve always used individual flightcases eversince. I tried this so I can avail for an almost plug and play set up (and keep my eyes away from the new Pioneer SZ, lol).
I was so happy with the meticulous cable installation that I did. But when I tried to lift the coffin with everything inside by myself, THE WEIGHT made me think... Is it worth it?

I always have a roadie with me on gigs. But everything I carry on gigs in my van are one-man-liftable.
This is the heaviest piece I have right now. It has rollers for transport but it\'s a 2 man job to put it on and bring down from the table. The 2 tier glide design that I chose also added exta 3 to 4 inches of thickness.

Any comments or motvations for me to keep it?

Posted Mon 24 Feb 14 @ 7:34 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
never use the rollers to move the coffin... you don't want to go over a big bump and vibrate the coffin with that piece of equipment in it

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 3:52 am
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I use to have coffins, too heavy specially with turntables and even with my old Denon 3700's. My 47yr old back is not what it used to be. Does not fit in the trunk of my car so I would have to lay it across the back seat. I just have individual flight cases now and a Rock N Rolla R6 dolly. All fits in the trunk of my car away from prying eyes.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 8:34 am
I just bought the same case and it's a bitch!! It's so heavy (2 Denon 5500's with and Ecler NUO4)!! I have cut out some of the foam underneath to fit my SL3 under the mixer and then put in a power strip so I am only plugging in one thing and never have to unplug my SL3 which is great but every time I have to move this thing I really consider going back to a 3 case setup. I swear it's just as heavy as my turntables and almost as big but the ease of setup is what's really kept me from changing. I'll probably just stick it out, lmao!!

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 8:45 am
Ha ha ha! Our backs are of the same age... born 1967.
'Starting to feel the crucial transition of not able to lift what we can in our younger days.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 8:51 am
Not trying to hijack but how's that SP1?? Mine will be here today, lol! Are you using it with SDJ and VDJ or with just SDJ?

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 8:55 am
I got that 2 piece detachable road ready one - That one suits me fine

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:04 am
LOL you bunch of wimps! :-)

I've been using a similar coffin case for some time now, with two Denon HS-5500s and a A&H Xone:92 onboard.

All prewired, with a Powercon added to the side so I just plug in the power, XLRs from the mixer to speakers & away I go.

In the "passive speaker days" I tried separate cases for everything (too much wiring) and putting things into a 19" rack on wheels (far too heavy) but now I just love the convenience of having a single case with a couple of connections, and powered speakers.

Clients love it too. It looks professional and it looks like you're DJing. You take the lid off and they can see you're serious!

Mine weighs 40Kg (88lbs) and although it's heavy, I can lift it in and out of my van, carry it to and from venues and lift it onto my booths. I'm currently 52 years old.

No regrets whatsoever. Of all the setups I've had over the years, this is my favourite.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:12 am
Grooving can you send me a few pics of the Powercon mod?? I'm thinking I want to do that with my case.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:18 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I also use a coffin. Mine is massively lighter than groovins though at a positively featherweight 39.9kg.

Like him, I also panel mounted a powercon (and also some XLR/RCA/Video connections), although mine are mounted to the top instead.

I also have a set of separate cases I can use if needed but I actually prefer the coffin.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:27 am
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Not trying to hijack but how's that SP1?? Mine will be here today, lol! Are you using it with SDJ and VDJ or with just SDJ?

I love mine. Basically mimics my DDJ-SX when I use my turntables.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:44 am
@ groovindj
Maybe it's about time for me to pull out and assemble those dumbles from my underbed.

@beatbreaker1
The SP1 works great for SSL and VDJ.
But it works best with SDJ! I also use it with my Technics 1200s and NS6.
Feels like I have an SX on any kind of set up.
I might get another one actually.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 10:51 am
Nice!! I thought about buying another mixer or just getting the SX but I figured why when I could just get this and have all the missing controls right there.
After hearing your response I know I made the right choice, Thanks for the time and info!!

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 11:04 am
Beatbreaker, you have mail.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 11:07 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
I swear it's just as heavy as my turntables and almost as big but the ease of setup is what's really kept me from changing. I'll probably just stick it out, lmao!!

I know it's heavy and cumbersome but it's got to be a lot better the traditional turntables, they really are bigger and heavier. Be interesting to know exactly how many kg there is in it between the two.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 1:04 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
A pair of 1210Mk2's are about 13.4kg heavier than my pair of 3900s, plus the extra coffin weight due to the size increase.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 1:48 pm
There is the extra weight due to size of the case and content but you also have to remember the load weight too, by this I mean if a case is larger and protrudes further then you get a load weight also which can make it quite a bit heavier than the scale weight.

I have experimented with different handle positions over the years and have been astounded by the difference it makes.

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 2:00 pm
One other interesting fact, SL-1200MK3 (released in 1989) has a matte black finish like the MK2, gold RCA plugs, and a small gold-foil Technics label on the back. It was destined only for the Japanese market. Just like the assume bikes they made only for the Jap market!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

Posted Tue 25 Feb 14 @ 2:07 pm
938MyDJ wrote :

@beatbreaker1
The SP1 works great for SSL and VDJ.
But it works best with SDJ! I also use it with my Technics 1200s and NS6.
Feels like I have an SX on any kind of set up.
I might get another one actually.

Got my SP1 last night and I love this thing!! Still kinda feels shoe horned in when it comes to VDJ but other then that it's a solid little unit. Just might sell the LPD8's which I pretty much mapped to function the same way.....

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 10:16 am
Congratulations! I am certain that you will like it.

I am not sure if the LPD8 is natively supported by SDJ. If it is NOT, I suggest to keep it for other mappings. Even with just on the fly beatgreading it would certainly help (if you have a space for it on your set up). I still have HC1000, MPD32, but it's the X1s MKI that I use for this purpose.

Just a thought : )

Posted Wed 26 Feb 14 @ 10:48 am
83%