Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Who you calling microwave, button masher DJ now? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

coach kPRO InfinityMember since 2010
cstoll wrote :
We all agree that just because something is there DOES NOT require you to use it - correct?

So here then is a challenge to make everyone go crazy about the 'SYNC' feature ....

Other than SSL (which we can all agree is more turntablizm focused) ... name another DEVELOPER company or MAJOR MAKE/BRAND of DJ Software that DOES NOT provide the SYNC feature?

Happy Hunting... and this should bring some conclusion to the whole debate.

... Maybe :P

+1

I really wish that would be the case everywhere, this thing goes on like bees at a BBQ in soda cans

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 10:38 am
X-wax...

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 12:04 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Doesn't pass the MAJOR MAKE/BRAND test -- and it lacks so much on the rest of the DJ software products that I wouldn't even put it in the same class as the $9.99 and less phone apps.

But good try ... NEXT!

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 12:21 pm
cstoll wrote :
We all agree that just because something is there DOES NOT require you to use it - correct?

So here then is a challenge to make everyone go crazy about the 'SYNC' feature ....

Other than SSL (which we can all agree is more turntablizm focused) ... name another DEVELOPER company or MAJOR MAKE/BRAND of DJ Software that DOES NOT provide the SYNC feature?

Happy Hunting... and this should bring some conclusion to the whole debate.

... Maybe :P

SSL got the SYNC button also :D they implemented it i think about a year ago :/

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 1:08 pm
** Ok, please don't banter about SSL ... it does not have SYNC between its own decks. There is a SYNC capability in their Bridge solution, but that is only for the Bridge with Ableton.

The only Serato products with SYNC are ITCH, Intro, and DJ.

Next ... :)

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 1:25 pm
Alcatech BPM Studio?

It may be a hundred years out of date but there are a lot of people still using it and it's still on sale :)

Keith

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 1:29 pm
Yeah, last update was - Version 4.9.9.4/ release date: 23.09.2010

So a bit outdated and definitely doesn't look like any new improvements soon. But it use to be a major player and will give it some credibility.

HOWEVER .... it does have a BPM Matching button ... :)

page 87 of their manual --

"With the [SET] button [21] (also called BPM Match button) the BPM value of the other player (Master) is automatically adopted, and both title’s speed is automatically equaled."

And they outline the steps on how to do this on the same page.

So it does not do the ON BEAT SYNCHRONIZATION part of SYNC, but it does the BPM Matching part.

But if you keep reading to page 88 you will find this statement on step 10 -

10) Now you can start player B simultaneously to a beat of player A by clicking the button. Player B will now play approximately
synchronous to player A.

Basically they outline how to use a beat loop to get synchronization on beat.

So close ... NEXT :)

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 1:46 pm
Virtual DJ will not be a pro software until it gets rid of the Sync button in my eyes... but thats just my point of view..

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 4:40 pm
bradley.dillon wrote :
Virtual DJ will not be a pro software until it gets rid of the Sync button in my eyes... but thats just my point of view..

Then by your point of view ... no DJ using a modern age DJ software can ever call themselves a professional. And the only professional DJ's are then the ones that only use SSL.

I would tell you that the MAJORITY (and really more like VAST MAJORITY) of the DJ World would greatly disagree with your point of view considering there are more DJs Globally that use a software with a SYNC feature than their are that you software that does not.

Btw, as a professional DJ what is really your software of choice? Or, are you a non-professional DJ that just claims to be one?

See how that thought process works?

Next :)

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:00 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Please!!! can we put all these sync a phobes minds to rest.. sync buttons are totally harmless if they are trained properly, but like any new member of the family can be a bit playfull, and like any pet, they will turn on you if you mistreat them.

N.B No sync buttons were harmed in the writing of the above text.

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:00 pm
this is what i like about controllers ( not as heavy as a pair of cdjs and a dim) open your lap top and you got all your music .... its fun and simple

what i dont like its the sync button but personally i could care less if guys use it or not ... so its not a problem at all

if you want to fool yourself using the button do so..

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:20 pm
djm

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:20 pm
But tayla this is so much fun ... if there were hundreds of solutions out there that didn't have it then there would be post after post of people listing software. But that isn't the case ...

And, it's like asking people to list a Make/Model car that you CANNOT get in an Automatic Transmission. It's damn near impossible to find and even if you do - it probably isn't being produced any longer.

So people revert to the 'my opinion is the only opinion that matters' and not what the industry itself is doing. People just find the one thing that they can poke fun at (or have in the past) to keep the argument going.

I agree with your classification of it and it should be a new word in DJ terminology like turtablism, controllerism, etc.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we now have --

SYNCPHOBIA noun \ˈsiŋk-ˈfō-bē-ə\

1 : an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a state in which two or more audio tracks move or happen together at the same time and speed as a result of pressing a button

2 : an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a state in which two or more audio tracks match one another and work together properly as a result of pressing a button

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:22 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Wow, I 've read about this condition, they get scared and frighten easily by just seeing it (Sync Botton)... I just remembered where I read this... it was in some forum pages of...of VitualDJ...

Is there any hope or remedy for this disorder.. Dr. cstoll?.

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 5:50 pm
cstoll wrote :
bradley.dillon wrote :

Then by your point of view ... no DJ using a modern age DJ software can ever call themselves a professional. And the only professional DJ's are then the ones that only use SSL.

I would tell you that the MAJORITY (and really more like VAST MAJORITY) of the DJ World would greatly disagree with your point of view considering there are more DJs Globally that use a software with a SYNC feature than their are that you software that does not.

Btw, as a professional DJ what is really your software of choice? Or, are you a non-professional DJ that just claims to be one?

See how that thought process works?

My software of choice is SSL.. LOL i just think DJ's shouldn't use the sync button... it takes a minimal amount of time to match BPM's Manually i started with Vinyl.. so i am biased on this... but hey to each his own... i purchased VDJ many years ago.. and i no longer even have it on my gig laptop because i don't like the sync button..

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 1:02 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Oh my God, you buy a software and then don't use it because it has a sync button, jeez how insecure is that, you really must be feeling peer pressure from somewhere.

How many other programmes will you not be able to use and reap the benefits from because it has a synce button. Put some sticky tape over the offending sync button, this will stop it from attaching itself to your index finger when you open up said softwares.

If you want the vinyl feel go back to using vinyl and ditch all the softwares that you own, me, I'm glad I did and so is my back, I'd never go back to vinyl and I'm fed up with people wanting the vinyl feel through using software then bemoaning it hasn't got the vinyl feel or responses.

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 2:19 pm
People don't rub sticks together to light fires any more .... they have central heating.
People don't ride horses to work any more ..... they have a car.

DJ's have the option of using the sync button if they want to ...... I just don't see the issue. Life moves on!

Keith

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 2:42 pm
ok.. lol im through with this... yall aren't going to change my mind.. i was just stating my opninion.. lol i may be old school.. I'll take that..

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 4:30 pm
I'm not bashing sync button users either.. just stating my opinion.. lol on the software.. thanks!

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 4:31 pm
cstoll wrote :
SYNCPHOBIA noun \ˈsiŋk-ˈfō-bē-ə\

1 : an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a state in which two or more audio tracks move or happen together at the same time and speed as a result of pressing a button

2 : an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a state in which two or more audio tracks match one another and work together properly as a result of pressing a button

This deserves its own article on www.digitaldjtips.com

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 17 May 13 @ 4:58 pm
63%