Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Who you calling microwave, button masher DJ now? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Do you remember not too long ago people were bashing DJ'S with controllers using Sync. They called us "microwave Dj'S, and Button mashers".
Now look at them running out in droves to the nearest store to purchase the latest controllers. What hypocrites they are, now they are just like the rest of us pressing those buttons on their shiny new toys getting all excited. I knew it would not be long until they came over to the dark side. I look on facebook, and Youtube and all I see is a lot of DJ's showing of the new Pioneer DDJ SX talking about how cool they are now..

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 8:34 am
xcakidPRO InfinityMember since 2010
DJBIGMARK wrote :
Do you remember not too long ago people were bashing DJ'S with controllers using Sync. They called us "microwave Dj'S, and Button mashers".
Now look at them running out in droves to the nearest store to purchase the latest controllers. What hypocrites they are, now they are just like the rest of us pressing those buttons on their shiny new toys getting all excited. I knew it would not be long until they came over to the dark side. I look on facebook, and Youtube and all I see is a lot of DJ's showing of the new Pioneer DDJ SX talking about how cool they are now..

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!

I still call em that. :D And I do own a controller. Have had about 6 of them, I keep getting rid of them hoping they will compare to my TT's, but nothing yet. Maybe when the new NS7 II comes out.
And I got no respect for a DJ that uses sync. Its like having a chauffeur while competing at a NASCAR race.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 9:54 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
It's realy comes down to choice nowadays, what type of gigs you do and how busy you are at your station. Some people like stick... and today most people like automatic transmitions, they both have advantages, but even more importantly is your track sellection that gives you the most bag for your efforts.... and no Sync buttom can help you with that....

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 11:43 am
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
So this has turned into another sync debate? Ok... I always found it hypocritical how some Djs talk down on the sync button, but still use DVS, CDJs and mixers with BPM readout. What's the difference between pressing a button and looking at a number then sliding the opposite pitchfader to match that number? I have MUCH RESPECT for DJs that started in the 70s, 80s, 90s, that did it by ear and ones that still do it by ear, but to downplay another Djs skill that uses sync to make the tempos the same is ridicules. That button doesn't pick songs or bring them in on time or adjust levels or scratch or read the crowed or etc. blah blah blah. Its not that hard to count a beat for 15, 30 seconds then do some arithmetic and adjust accordingly, especially when it's something like Dance or early East Coast Hip Hop when all the BPMs are around the same. If you can do it by ear (so can I), great but don't downplay someone else's skill and time that they put into learning the art or 1/5th of the element (playful jab at my fellow hip hop DJs), when in some form or another your doing the same thing. People talk like its '87 and they're still carrying crates of records and passive speakers and amps and all the hot new songs on original pressings and don't use Dicers or a laptop or a car with automatic transmission or a dishwasher or a micrwa....I think you get my point. That button alone is not the end all be all to DJing and neither is doing it by ear. But if this wasn't that kind of topic nevermind my lil rant. LET'S KEEP IT PEACEFUL PEOPLE

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 1:03 pm
I think it was peaceful until you felt offended and went on a rant and no it wasn't a sync button topic.......

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:05 pm
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
beatbreaker1 wrote :
I think it was peaceful until you felt offended and went on a rant and no it wasn't a sync button topic.......

LOL ok...Disregard everyone!

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:13 pm
ZamoodaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have to say Im not for the sync button, but I have used it. It has saved me a couple of times. Im notorious for changing my song with just a few seconds left and/or a last minute request. load the song, hit sync, and i can at least get off a 2- 4 bar mix. I think maintaining the mix is more important than how you arrive to the mix.

I still like moving the pitch slider tho, but thats just me

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:21 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :

You're right, it's not a "sync button" topic but comments like, "I got no respect for a DJ that uses sync" are mildly offensive and will put people on the defensive.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:31 pm
If you guys want to whine about the sync button go to the djtechtools forum, they have one every other day. It is a really boring argument to have.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:31 pm
OK so that's his opinion, move along. Who cares what anyone thinks about sync?? It's not hurting you me or him...... Why drag this wore out ass topic yet again?? This really seems to be the only forum I'm on that still gives a rats butt about sync. I think anytime the word "sync" is brought up thread should automatically lock.

I think the main point the op was stating was that everyone and their dog has a controller now so they don't have anymore to say.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:37 pm
And these were our opinions... you don't like... "move along". If you are tired of a topic don't visit the thread again, that's how I deal with topics that annoy me.
My point was his lack of respect for another's tool of choice, not just sync. Could have been "I have no respect for anyone that use's CDJ's" not cool and not needed here. That's my opinion.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:43 pm
Well his "opinion " was more of an in direct attack but Yeah continue to carry on about a dumb ass button...... And I'm moving along.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 2:52 pm
ranting on a forum will never change anyone's mind, people automatically put up their defences and will go on the attack.. Both get the satisfaction that they have had the argument but ultimately both hold the same views.. And chances are you will never even meet each other so really what is the point?

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 3:05 pm
That button is viewed as Taboo. I use it all the time and until enough people admit to using it then it will always lead to these debates:P

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 3:20 pm
coach kPRO InfinityMember since 2010
It's a button, use it or don't use it, who cares! Let's get back to rocking the world

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 3:21 pm
richie hawtin uses sync :) and he delivers a kick ass show.

i do 4 decks on VDJ and use sync+external sampler and a lot of people bashed me before when they heard VDJ sync i was an instant looser to them but 1 gig changed it all :) but before that i learned how to beatmatch and got the whole " DJ " treatment.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 6:16 pm
I use sync profusely. I usually mix three tracks simultaneously, and shoot off samples that are beatmatched. This allows me to do other stuff and actually enjoy mixing, reading the crowd, and coming up with cool ways to transition to new songs.

Crowd never cares anyway. They just want to hear good music, even if it is simply faded in. Only DJs care about how other DJs mix. Plain and simple.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 6:53 pm
Rnow3 wrote :
... People talk like its '87 and they're still carrying crates of records and passive speakers and amps and all the hot new songs on original pressings and don't use Dicers or a laptop...

Uh, what? You mean vinyl has been replaced by a lap top and I don't have to haul these crates anymore....I got to get out more

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 7:32 pm
I'm loving this SYNC topic, lets proceed to discuss it

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 6:00 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
We all agree that just because something is there DOES NOT require you to use it - correct?

So here then is a challenge to make everyone go crazy about the 'SYNC' feature ....

Other than SSL (which we can all agree is more turntablizm focused) ... name another DEVELOPER company or MAJOR MAKE/BRAND of DJ Software that DOES NOT provide the SYNC feature?

Happy Hunting... and this should bring some conclusion to the whole debate.

... Maybe :P

Posted Thu 16 May 13 @ 7:47 am
31%