Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: virtual dj 64 bit - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is vdj a true 64 bit software? My back up laptop is a 32 bit windows 7 version and I downloaded an update for an old hercules sound card/controller and it works fine. I installed it on my working laptop and it's a 64 bit windows 7 and it didn't work. Hercules tells me to contact vdj. Here's what they wrote:
We thank you for your reply.

In this case please contact Atomix Productions - the company that owns all version of the program - at the following phone number: 323 306-5512.

From the details you have provided us with so far the problem seems to be related with the Virtual DJ pro full program.

You are using the same console, the same version of the driver, the same USB cable, the same DJ software on two different machines and in this case the only thing that is not working is the DJ software. There might be a problem with the program - software compatibility with the Windows 7 64bits OS

Again, is vdj a true 64 bit software?

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 8:46 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
VirtualDJ is not a 64bit application, but runs fine under 64bit OS. And of course its not the only software that does. You probably have other non 64bit softwares in your computer running fine.

Please give us more details on your issue, and what exactly do you mean by not working, or raise a ticket in support page http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/index.html

Have also in mind, that some devices do not operate properly plugged in USB 3.0 ports. Make sure you plug your device in a USB 2.0 port (if available)

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 8:51 am
If your computer only has USB 3.0 ports available, try using an external powered USB 2.0 hub. This will usually solve the USB compatibility issue, which is a problem with some USB 3.0 chipsets.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 9:35 am
This weekend I was deciding to either keep or throw away older eqipment i own. I stumbled on a hercules dj controller mk1 that I thought may be something to keep. I went on there website and downloaded the latest drivers and firmware. It updated fine on my windows 7 32 bit laptop back up but not on my actual working 64 bit laptop. Thats the message I got from hercules in my first text. I spent hours trying different ideas but it won' t even map to virtual dj using the mappers that I downloaded. In the 32 bit windows 7 I see a logo for the console in the audio setup which is not there in the 64 bit version. I tried the asio driver in the 64 bit version but that didn't work either. sorry for my typing errors as I had a stroke a few months ago so im paralysed on my right side. Just getting used to only using one hand for the time being. What more info do you need? The 64 bit is an hp core i7 64 bit with windows 7. top of the line laptop that I use nightly for 3 years without a problem. I use the ns7, m audio xponent and the pioneer dd-sx(new) without a glitch. For lighting i have a full color lazer and chauvet q260 moving heads and a bunch of led effects using Quickshow software all at the same time without using much resources on the 64 bit show laptop six nights a week for the past few years. btw- my laptop only uses usb 2.0 only. Yes im aware of the difference between 2 and 3.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 9:37 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
funkmasterfrank wrote :
In the 32 bit windows 7 I see a logo for the console in the audio setup which is not there in the 64 bit version. I tried the asio driver in the 64 bit version but that didn't work either.

I would go back to Hercules with exactly what you posted above that I have quoted.

Additionally, I would review the following as well - http://ts.hercules.com/faqs/eng/her_eng_00259.pdf

Beyond that, with the 3 other controllers you have; I wouldn't put to much time in to the antiquated 8+ year old controller.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 10:26 am
Well to be honest it's not anybody's business what i should do with an older controller. I was giving to a friend who is a paid registered professional user of virtual dj who doesn't have finances to just go out and buy a controller. I'm not the type to keep running back and forth giving blame to each software company who is to blame each other for what they explain to me. Since your blaming each other I will tell my friend to switch his computer to 32 bits and it will work. We are both very computer savy people so we will work with what we have. Thank you...

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 10:58 am
OK, HERE IS THE TRUTH: Im running a best you can buy laptop. Windows 7 , 64 I have 4 controlers I have are hercules and all of them work.. You need to load the following..

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=17&fid=62&pid=215&cid=1

dj stretch

I have had three controlers hooked up at the same time,. rmx, mx4, apc.. all of them working and working well. Delete all the old herc stuff from the computer and then make sure you have the following ... 1. controler on hand. 2. new usb cable.. Install the driver and it will ask you to install the usb.. I had a huge usb extension that worked in the old computer and not in a new one.. it will do nothing if you use the non usb 2.. I took me a long time to figure it out.. Now set it up it will ask you to install hardware plug in the usb.. then it will load it to the bottem right corner and you will see the log and it will turn on..Now once it opens the hercules driver you need to left click on it opening the logo. now you need to select the asio not the wmd then start virtual dj and then go into sound config. then select input and pick advanced. then make the master the laptop and the hercules the head phones line 3.4

Im using it as we speak and will check back on your progress. stretch

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 11:04 am
Off to physio so I'll try it later today. Thanks for your input. If it works it will save us from reverting back to 32 bit.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 11:19 am
funkmasterfrank wrote :
Well to be honest it's not anybody's business what i should do with an older controller. I was giving to a friend who is a paid registered professional user of virtual dj who doesn't have finances to just go out and buy a controller. I'm not the type to keep running back and forth giving blame to each software company who is to blame each other for what they explain to me. Since your blaming each other I will tell my friend to switch his computer to 32 bits and it will work. We are both very computer savy people so we will work with what we have. Thank you...

For someone asking for help, your first comment is pretty condescending. I didn't ask 'why' or 'what' you were doing this for ... I was merely making a comment that you are spending a lot of time on a controller that is a dinosaur.

As for the pointing fingers reference - it's not a matter of who is right or wrong. It's a matter of what is working at what point. If the controller's drivers are not seeing the device properly, then there should be NO expectation that VirtualDJ is somehow going to miraculously see it. You need to resolve the driver issue first ... which ...

Original Post:
funkmasterfrank wrote :
and I downloaded an update for an old hercules sound card/controller and it works fine

Recommendation:
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :

Reply:
funkmasterfrank wrote :
so I'll try it later today

So are you now saying that you have not downloaded any updates for the controller?

If that is the case, then you started the whole thread misleading everyone that you had the latest drivers.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 12:35 pm
CSTOLL I will not answer your message as I want to as I was polite in the 1st message, I searched the forum for answers about whether it a true 64 bit software and came to a conclusion it isn't. I did download the drivers and spent many hours trying different things. I will try what tycoon suggested to me when I get the chance. Hercules are true 64 bit drivers and vdj is not. Simply put thats why vdj does not recognize the controller in 64 bit but it does in 32 bit. Hercules has a dj software that does work fine in 64 bit mode without set up issues but I have been using vdj for many years now and I enjoy it. Please don't focus on judging people how they text. focus on what the real issues are. I havent seen a school of text judging yet! Read all messages slowly and you will be able to answer them with common sense.

If a company still makes updated drivers for an older machine then its not considered a dinasur. Some of my older out dated equipment works much better than my newer equipment so im not going to throw it away because its older than 8+. I have equipment from the 60s that work still like new. Who are you to judge people when the point I asked clearly is vdj 64 bit after recieveing a message from who is your partner in some way or was a partner. And by the way to end this dumb conversation I am french translating to english in my head then writing it down as best i can without writing like I'm trying to be condisending like you suggest...

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:08 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Just for the record it's the responsibility of the driver manufacturer to make the driver accessible to both 64-bit and 32-bit applications on a 64-bit OS.

As far as I know there is no 'setting' up. You install the latest drivers as directed and if they support the function then it works. That should always be your first port of call.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:17 pm
I'm not sure what your exactly trying to say SBDJ but vdj is not a true 64 bit software from what i'm told. And the word setting up is a laymans termonology. Even when purchasing vdj fresh out of the box and first time installing it to a computer and installing a controller to use with it in 32 bit os or 64 bit os you still have to set up vdj to work with the controller/ soundcard. In this case hercules makes a 64 bit drivers for their equipment but vdj is not actually a true 64 bit program so you can't just download drivers and "poof" everything works. As i mentioned in a previous post that in 32 bit mode "poof" everything works as vdj is actually really a 32 bit program after setting up or should i use the word "assign" in vdj. So to finalize if I understand what your saying is the driver manufacturer does make the 64 bit drivers but the software company is behind because they don't have a truly working 64 bit software at this point. That exactly explains why i had trouble setting up vdj with my controller with 64 bit os.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:41 pm
Whether VDJ is 32 or 64 bit is irrelevant here.

It's whether the manufacturer of the hardware supplies both 32bit and 64bit drivers for your controller and OS.

If the manufacturers drivers don't support the OS it's nothing to do with VDJ as this link is needed before VDJ starts up.

Keith

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:47 pm
Well then in this case hercules makes a driver for 32 bit and 64 bit windows os

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 2:54 pm
funkmasterfrank wrote :
I'm not sure what your exactly trying to say SBDJ

Let me lay it out for you then, since your statement at the end of your post is incorrect.

Very few DJ software products are native 64-bit applications at this time.

VDJ? No.
SSL/Itch/SDJ? No.
Traktor? No.
Mixvibes? No.

OK, maybe the DJ business is behind. Except we aren't - several of windows own processes are still 32-bit (the sidebar immediately springs to mind) and other big applications such as Skype. In fact I would say the vast majority of applications are probably still 32-bit only. Even Microsoft's own memory hungry development environment is a 32-bit app with a cross-compiler to build x64 apps.

With that in mind saying that we are 'behind' is very much disingenuous.

However the applications run on the OS because of a technology called Windows on Windows (WoW64). This technology allows 32-bit applications to run on a 64-bit OS.

Due to the nature of a driver this same technology doesn't really apply - a driver needs to be coded specifically for a 64-bit platform. What the audio driver communicates with is entirely up to the author of the driver. Some audio drivers for example will only communicate with 64-bit applications on 64-bit systems. Some will communicate with either 64-bit or 32-bit.

As for your original issue there is no 'issue'.

You download the latest Hercules drivers and install them. You then select the device in VDJ as you would any other device and 'poof' off you go. There really is no big deal as you are making it out to be. The process is exactly the same as on a 32-bit system, you just have to ensure you are using the correct driver as supplied by the hardware vendor.

So once again for the record for anyone who has such issues: We have no compatibility issues with x64 operating systems. It is the responsibility of the hardware vendor to ensure their product works correctly with both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, and the responsibility of the user to install the correct driver. If anyone has issues performing this then you can either speak to your hardware vendor or contact us in support for assistance.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 9:30 pm
i WASN'T TRYING to make anything big about it. read my post at the beginning again and you'll see that i asked a simple question. is vdj a true 64 bit software because I am trying to link it with a 64 bit controller thats suppose to work with vdj and then everyone with the atomix logo attached had something to say or add. the only straight undestandable answer was from the first guy from atomix and dj strech. the rest of you guys are computer geeks so your answer are way not undestandable to the average dj. Remember that what we the clients really are only clients. It was a simple man asking a simple question as hercules sent me what I paisted in the first text. I wasn't trying to out smart anyone i just asked a simple legitimate question, Try to put your whits aside for a moment and understand that I asked a simple question. If hercules says the drivers are 64 bit then i asked you as they don't seem to link together that easy. Instead of all the B.S everyone is feeding me just help me fix it or not. It was very professional of hercules to answer me the way they did, very professional. They took the time to read my complaint and gave me a final answer without the BS. Have a good night. Vdj support guys have burnt me out tonight with all this reading. It was a yes or no question originally.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 10:47 pm
what is it you need it to do? i have it running like a lambo and have all the bells and whistles... I am going to add light jockey on top of everything else and add a usb hdmi for one more screem. that makes it 6 usb slots plus your controler and more all running in windows 64 and using virtual dj on top of it..

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 2:17 am
How about this for clear:

Download latest drivers
Install drivers
Configure VDJ to newly installed soundcard
Play

There is no special procedure for 64 bit systems as long as the vendor has produced a functional 64 bit driver. Its the same procedure for almost anything.

Hercules directed you to us because they believed you had downloaded the latest drivers. You obviously had not. The 'true' 64 bit stuff is a complete red herring and it is not a yes or no answer.

You had already been told what to do, and I explained why this has absolutely nothing to do with our software for you or anyone else who was interested.

I even made sure - I grabbed a Hercules device and connected it to one of my x64 machines. I downloaded the latest Hercules drivers and VDJ saw it no problem. I had to do absolutely nothing different to what I would have had to do on an x86 system.

Despite all that you still feel fit to call me unprofessional. Thanks.

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 7:47 am
1. i downloaded latest drivers version 2012_HDJS_5 on November 17th, 2012.
2. Installed said drivers
3. Tried configuring vdj to link with my mk1 dj console
4. doesn't work

Thats all I 'm trying to do so I contacted hercules and asked if their drivers were compatible with 64 bit explaining that they everything went fine with 32 bit during the install. They sent me an email explaining that their drivers are 32 bit and 64 bit compatible and then told me to contact vdj and paiste in the email. Thats exactly what I did and then it became a circus. All I askes was is vdj a true 64 bit software and I got an immediete answer of NO with an explanation and then all of a sudden another message about usb 3?????? I never asked about usb 3. Then the messages exploded with judging me the way I'm condesending. WHAT???? I simply asked about 64 bit and did what they suggested by paisting their info. Then it exploded into other things. And when I said I'll try the suggestion from dj stretch later on all of a sudden I'm told that i didn't download the latest drivers. Again WHAT???? If anyone has suggestions to connect a hercules dj console MK1 to vdj version 7.3 please help me. What do you SBDJ think I was tring to do? I wasn't making a space ship, I was simply trying to connect vdj with my soundcard/controller> I dont need a course on windows 64 bit vs. windows 32 bit, if I wanted to learn about it I would google it to start. Do you think I appreciated being told my controller is a dinasur, WHY did someone at atomix say that. Yes I use the best equipment available on the market but I was simply trying to help out a friend who is strapped financially these days. Whats wrong with that? SBDJ calling someone a computer geek is not calling them unprofessional here in north america maybe your country it is? I never called you unprofessional once in my text I just said that i was bombarded with so much text for what was originally a yes or no question. In my first message i ask 1st a yes or no question and in the text you can see i couldn't link vdj with hercules dj console so if some one like dj stretch that owns the actual equipment has got it working then he gave me instructions to configure it. Great! Thats all I needed was a little help. Thats what you guys from atomix should be discussing with clients, just vdj software and configuring not how windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit work with software, do you honestly think we as djs need all this information?

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 9:09 am
Frank,

You have taken all of this way to personal.

What we have been trying to explain to you is that whether the software is 64-bit or 32-bit is irrelevant. And, you seem to be under the impression that because VirtualDJ is not a TRUE 64-bit application that it is the cause of the problem. This is far from the facts since VirtualDJ works completely fine with other products that use 64-bit drivers for their hardware on the 64-bit version of Windows. But clearly us trying to give you all the facts verses some simple form letter response has been to much.

I work with over 60% of the manufactures that make controllers. I test every controller I work with on 3 different platforms - Windows 32-bit and 64-bit as well as Mac OSX. And I do not have problems with VirtualDJ finding sound cards under the Windows 64-bit platform. Additionally there are several VirtualDJ users that use the Windows 64-bit platform just fine.

But since you have taken the issue personally, you have not stepped back and truly read the dialog. One statement that you made was that the Hercules' Control Panel was not functioning correctly.

funkmasterfrank wrote :
In the 32 bit windows 7 I see a logo for the console in the audio setup which is not there in the 64 bit version. I tried the asio driver in the 64 bit version but that didn't work either.

If this is not working correctly then that is what needs to be resolved first. So, now after installing the drivers; is this correctly working?

If Yes, then we can move on from there and troubleshoot VirtualDJ. If not, then you need to resolve that with Hercules because something is still wrong with the installation of the drivers.

As for me calling your MK1 a dinosaur - then again; you took that way to personally. At the time I posted that you had not posted any reason on why you were trying to make such an old hardware component work. And since you listed 3 other controllers (that are way more newer), I was trying say that you shouldn't invest so much time on such an old piece of hardware. But since you have stated a real intent they great - lets get this resolved.

As for your last question "do you honestly think we as djs need all this information" -- YES. Because not every DJ is well versed and knowledgable in what they are doing or working with. If a question is being asked it is because the person doesn't know something. Isn't that why you asked your first question to start with? And as a result of it - we have been trying to explain all the reasons why something is or isn't right. And with every suggestion and/or explanation you seem to taken offense to us trying to give you that knowledge and information.

So ...

Is VirtualDJ a 64-bit application? No.

Is that the reason why your controller is not being seen? No.

Why is it not being seen? Well we are trying to help you determine that.

Cheers...

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 2:51 pm
48%