Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Perfect Timecodes!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

As most of you know my biggest gripe has been vinyl timecode control or lack of............I have been struggling to find the right settings since somewhere around the release of VDJ6. Things have always gotten better with every release but it was always lacking.

So I had this weekend off and decided to get to the bottom of this. I went out and bought new Serato and Traktor timecodes. First ill tell you what I'm using.
ASUS laptop, core 2 duo 2.2 ghz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA card 1 gig RAM, running Vista home (nothing special as you can see)
2 TECHNIC 1200 MK2's with TECHNIC headshells, Shure M44-7 (about a year and a half old)
Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ
Rane SL3
Ecler NUO4 MIDI mixer
VDJ 7.0.3

Ok so I started with the Serato timecodes. I went into config and choose the first Serato engine listed. The left/right and phase/anti I didn't need to touch. I turned the gain up to about a quarter and the silence I didn't have to touch. Next hit debug and checked disable clear sound. Closed the Windows out and got to work. The tracking was pretty good but I felt it could of been better. I noticed sum sticker drifting, that's never good. Tried a backspin and it seemed like VDJ would loose the signal. Now that could be cause I'm a crappy scratcher and heavy handed, Idk...... Next tried to adjust the pitch and it was all over. We all know that turntables are not a 100% constant in speed but it was bouncing +/- 1 bpm, that makes things hard. So I disabled the pitch on screen. That got rid of the visual part but after a few tracks it seemed like the record was speeding up on its own. By this point the hell with those.
Next up, Traktor. Again I didn't have to mess with the gain knobs as I was a 100%. And again they tracked well but I didn't notice any sticker drift with these, ya!! But again with the pitch slider bouncing all over and instead of speeding up these would slow down. Or the slider would lower on its own............so by now a few hours have passed and I'm scratchin my head by now wondering what the hell is going on.
So I dug out the Numark Virtual Vinyl timecodes. Slapped em on and went to work. I had nice circles but was not getting a 100% so I had to tweak the left/right knob till I got it. Didn't touch the phase/anti knob, turned up the gain knob up just over a quarter. Left the silence where it was. I choose the first Virtualdj Vinyl in the list of engines. Next hit the debug button. There I checked disable clear sound. Closed the Windows and got busy. To my amazement there was not sticker drift at all and the pitch slider wasn't bouncing all over!! I cut it up for about a 1/2 hour mixing videos and things were still on point!! Now these timecodes are about 2 years old and are a lot heavier then the Serato or Traktor timecodes. So I was up till about 3am mixing and scratchin the best way I know how. Shit was running perfect!! I thought this had to be a fluke and went to bed. The next day I turned everything back on and started doin my thing again. Wouldn't you know it, perfect. Even pulled off a few backspins........... So I decided to call one of my buddies who is a great scratcher and told him to come test it out as he could do a lot more then me when it comes to stuntin on the tables. Well he came over I through on a scratch sentence and a video. He couldn't believe it, things were tracking and on point!!! So this went on for about 2 hours. We just kept switching off and cuttin it up.
So after 3 years I can say that I have perfect working timecodes with VDJ!! The thing that surprised me was the fact that the Numarks worked better then all the rest.
Almost forgot, under the performance tab I have my settings like this,
Latency: 64(1ms)
Scratch: Optimize for Latency checked
Master Tempo: Fast Scratching checked
Memory: 15 mn (that's 15 minutes for those that don't what that is)
Skin Resizing: Fast Resizing
48kh conversion: Fast Resampling

For the NI 8 its set at,
Standard Latency (high CPU usage situation)
Usb buffersize : 1ms
Audio buffersize : 6ms
Drivers are : 2.0.10.1

So with all that I have perfect working timecodes!!!

Hope this help cause I'm a happy man now, Thank You VDJ
Huey

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 12:10 am
Glad you got it all sorted out bro!

After reading this, I may just have to go dust off the old TT's.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 12:29 am
Now only if I could get to the bottom of this MixDeck not being able to scratch in MIDI mode because itll scratch with the other program............maybe next week, lol!

Huey

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 12:43 am
Huey,
Let us know if you figure out the Mixdeck scenerio...I have been having a play with just that...though Im not a scratcher..learning still..
Im hoping the NS6 might be a bit more friendly... thanks for the update!

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 6:51 am
FuskitPRO InfinityMember since 2009
That's good to know...now if I could just find VV timecodes....

Michael

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 4:15 pm

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 5:36 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Ok I could give a crap less what the next dj uses. When we throw shows there's always 2 setups, mine with VDJ and another for the Serato/Traktor fanboys. I have used VDJ for almost 5 or 6 years now and it IS THE BEST OUT THERE when it comes to features and MIDI control. On occasion this grown up likes to throw down a scratch every now and then. Since I can remember the timecode has never been solid. I went with a MIDI controller and still can't scratch maybe because I went with a cheaper Numark product like the MixDeck, ill take that. My only gripe is the timecode. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who are fine with it but I'm not. And yes I already know I'm one person so spare me. So why not fix it and just be the best all around?? And yes ill be waiting around..............why cause VDJ is the best out there, except when it comes to timecodes.

Let me have it, lol!!
Huey

Wow, this is what you said on Friday April 22, 2011. So, a little work on your part, and things change pretty fast. Maybe others will benefit from your work and take a little time to address this issue. Most have seen all the negative post about time code. Hopefully, just as many will see these results.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 5:59 pm
Lmao!! For some strange reason I knew it wasn't gonna be long before you made me eat those words, lol!! Yes alittle hard does go a long way my friend. But yes I hope others are just as successful as I am cause it is SOLID!! Straight up!! Gonna get some video this weekend........

Now on to the MixDeck...........got any clue as to why it'll scratch with Traktor but not with VDJ?? Another mission coming soon.......

Huey

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 6:10 pm
but the serato vinyls r so much nicer! ;-P

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 7:40 pm
FuskitPRO InfinityMember since 2009
farhanashraf wrote :
but the serato vinyls r so much nicer! ;-P

I will agree with you there as far as looks are concerned. My decks are painted blue with all blue LED's and I currently use blue Slowrato vinyls to match......oh well, lol. Guess its back to the days of black vinyl for me.

Michael

Posted Tue 26 Apr 11 @ 3:32 pm
Well things are still goin strong!! I couldn't be happier right now!! Got a show comin up and we open for Bizzy Bone! I'm happy to say VDJ WILL BE ROCKIN THAT DAY!!

Huey

Posted Fri 29 Apr 11 @ 10:23 am
fuskit,

if u get the blue marbles, get em, they will look sooo good with ur setup.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 11 @ 2:17 pm
my vv's are spot on as well loving it. my seratos are there as well with the serato B side, think this is a fluke though will have to give them a proper test. just shows what a little work can do. will post next weekend if the seratos stay the same with setting pics.

Posted Fri 29 Apr 11 @ 4:11 pm
Nice!! Keep us posted. This is great!!

Timecodes do work VERY WELL WITH VDJ
Huey

Posted Fri 29 Apr 11 @ 5:51 pm
no probs huey will do

Posted Sat 30 Apr 11 @ 2:46 pm
Hi! I'm italian and I cannot find the Numark timecode vinyls. Is there any online store where I can get them?

Thanks a lot
Mark

Posted Tue 03 May 11 @ 10:45 am

Posted Tue 03 May 11 @ 10:56 am
You're great!!
Thank you!!

Posted Tue 03 May 11 @ 12:03 pm
hmm...wonders if that will work for cdjs too...good to know in case i go back to tables...

Posted Wed 04 May 11 @ 2:40 pm
Just here to say that things are still great!! Still can't keep a quality signal with the Sera to vinyls though. One thing I don't like about the Numark vinyl is, there seems to be a dead space at the beginning of the records. I'll place the needle on the record but nothing happens for the first few revolutions and them bam, the song will start. This only happens with these records, the Traktor and Sera to start immediately. I've tried adjusting the lead in slider on the debug screen but it doesn't make a difference. Anyone else notice this? Other then that things are on point, no drifting, very responsive and the Numarks are nice and heavy like in the old days, lol!!

Seems happy days are here to stay
Huey

Posted Mon 01 Aug 11 @ 12:48 am
17%