Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
GadgetMan wrote :

Only other thing I had to do was switch the mapper from VMS4 back to RMX.

Explain? Because that makes no sense ... if you had them both connected to the computer before starting VirtualDJ, then both controllers are ACTIVE and ready for use ...

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 7:42 pm
Will try again. I think I unplugged and plugged the RMX at some point.

Roy

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 4:19 am
paulcinPRO InfinityMember since 2010
cstoll wrote :
Link to American Audio forum for those that want to visit there - http://forums.americandj.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/727105965

Let's continue discussions here ...

And to address the concerns already mentioned ....

[quote=paulcin]Can someone send me this file, I already have serial number so I don't see it as a breach as must still need that to work it.

You can not just use anyone's disc and you are already talking to the correct people at AmericanAudio .. you need to get this from them, they are the distributor.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can't you download mappers on the RMX Etc from this site? Why can't VDJ Supplier the LE Version from this site, I don't get why it has to be so hard, all it is I can't install VDJ LE for the AA VMX4 due to faulty disc, this means I have had it 4/5 days now and can't use it, I just can't believe how a company just don't reply to me, all I have asked for is another disk or the contents of one after spending £400, I don't think it's to much to ask at least an email from AA.

Is it legal anyway, they offer support but don't talk I find it very strange tbh.

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 12:14 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Paul
If you register your vms serial number, I believe we should be able to get that install file to you.
Its a first, but that should be in place on our end if that helps you.

Rick

Edit
I just checked the list on Roy's registration but don't see that file.
Gotta look into this more.

Normally all of the console type le installs are available for the different versions we create.

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 12:31 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
Paul
If you register your vms serial number, I believe we should be able to get that install file to you.

Rick

Edit

Normally all of the console type le installs are available for the different versions we create.

ok thanks again, I am not normally this dump, where shall I register the VMS4 Serial number?

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 1:31 pm

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 1:46 pm
That's me off to the club. I have done some testing at home and it sounds good. No buzzing or anything like that.

Will let you know how it goes but so far I'm quite impressed with the unit, especially the fact it can run on USB power if needed.

keith

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 2:19 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
Paul

Rick

Edit

Thank you very much

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 2:30 pm

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 2:31 pm
paulcin wrote :
djtouchdan wrote :
@paulcin - register here : http://www.virtualdj.com/users/edit.html

Thank you very much

So you registered ... did you install the dmg from your Download Center?
Are you running now ?

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 3:01 pm

Hi I almost there, I have installed the LE clicked to start and got this:

Invalid skin file (error line %io in the xml)

I assume someone knows what that means? Almost there....... if there is any tech guy out there...

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 4:18 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
paulcin wrote :

I assume someone knows what that means? Almost there....... if there is any tech guy out there...

First, in Vista, please disable UAC or User Account Control in control panel/security.
Then save the install file to your desktop.
Right click on it and select "run as administrator".
If using multiple user accounts please copy the vdj folder from the admin account at my documents to the other accounts.

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 4:32 pm
mp3jrick wrote :
paulcin wrote :

First, in Vista, please disable UAC or User Account Control in control panel/security.
Then save the install file to your desktop.
Right click on it and select "run as administrator".
If using multiple user accounts please copy the vdj folder from the admin account at my documents to the other accounts.

Erm I am on mac but will try what you said out on a mac

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 5:22 pm
Use this utility to remove VirtualDJ LE -
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/appdelete.html

Then make sure you do the following - REPAIR your disk permissions (this may or may not be needed, but it doesn't hurt either way so just do it anyway) ::-> Go to: (HD)/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

Launch Disk Utility, select your primary hard drive with Mac OS on it (start up disk) and click on the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. There's no need to click on the "Verify Disk Permissions" button right above it, just repair them.

Then reboot and install VirtualDJ again. After install,
Go to the /Documents/ folder and Control+Click (right click) on the VirtualDJ folder
Choose the Get Info menu choice
Then in the bottom right corner of the Get Info dialog you need to click on the pad-lock and unlock it (will prompt you for you user password)

Then just above that to the left is the Permissions list. Make sure your user account has Read/Write permissions set.

Just below the Permissions box there is a button with a gear graphic on it - click that and choose the 'apply to all included' items

Once changed, close the box to Apply the changes.

Open VirtualDJ

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 5:39 pm
Just finished my first night with the VMS4. Took plenty of (static) video. Will have to see how that came out in the morning.

Have some issues with output levels across the board - master, phones and mic but will explain more after a good nights sleep.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 8:27 pm
Quick report. Levels strange, mic quality dreadful but good for mixing. More tomorrow. ....

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 9:17 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
mic quality dreadful.

The same for me, the mic quality is not very good...

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 9:53 pm
cstoll wrote :
Use this utility to remove VirtualDJ LE -
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/appdelete.html

Then make sure you do the following - REPAIR your disk permissions (this may or may not be needed, but it doesn't hurt either way so just do it anyway) ::-> Go to: (HD)/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

Launch Disk Utility, select your primary hard drive with Mac OS on it (start up disk) and click on the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. There's no need to click on the "Verify Disk Permissions" button right above it, just repair them.

Then reboot and install VirtualDJ again. After install,
Go to the /Documents/ folder and Control+Click (right click) on the VirtualDJ folder
Choose the Get Info menu choice
Then in the bottom right corner of the Get Info dialog you need to click on the pad-lock and unlock it (will prompt you for you user password)

Then just above that to the left is the Permissions list. Make sure your user account has Read/Write permissions set.

Just below the Permissions box there is a button with a gear graphic on it - click that and choose the 'apply to all included' items

Once changed, close the box to Apply the changes.

Open VirtualDJ

Many thanks cstol: It didn't work though, can someone send me the VMS4 Skin or place it for download for Mac pro users please and I will map the whole thing myself if it's possible!

Thanks all

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 2:53 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Quick report. Levels strange, mic quality dreadful but good for mixing. More tomorrow. ....

Agreed. Found the Mic gain very sensitive. Had to turn the gain on the radio Mic receiver waaaay down and then I could get a decent response out of it.

Output level seemed really low. I kept at around +4 as the manual states but it still sounded low compared to the clubs pioneer mixer and my own AA Q-SD mixer I used to use.

The gain affects the phones volume substantially. I was running with gains at about 50% with the fades up full. This meant I couldn't turn the master volume up much over half. With this setup the booth output was also quite low.

I could obviously try running the gains higher which means the phones and the booth would be louder but would mean the master would be much lower - which seems weird to me.

Even with VDJ set to gain+remember I did have to adjust levels to get a consistent output. And the VU meters in cue mode are at a lower level to the main output so it's difficult to set upfront.

Plus I also find the VU's in cue mode annoying as I prefer to watch the master VU's while mixing, but can't if I have the phones on.

I've also narrowed down the cue issue which only happens when VDJ is running, but I plan to re-document in a new video.

That's all for now.

Roy

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 4:28 am
Further to my message earlier, I can make the following observations:

1 - Master volume output is lower than normal. I had to put the Cloud controllers up to 7 instead of 5 to realise the same volume as the A&H mixer.

2 - Mic quality is really awful and is a deal breaker for me. Using a line mic (the Beyerdynamic one I've had for about 15 years) I could not get a satisfactory output. Turning it up got loads of feedback, and with it lower it sounded really tinny and low but still distorted badly. At 12.00 I had to piggy back the VMS4 in to the A&H mixer so I could use the mic through that instead. I did expect this to be a budget unit, but not that bad. Only way around that would be to feed my radio mic in to one of the analogue line channels, but that defeats having 2 mic inputs and means I would have to carry my radio mic all the time.

3 - The bass/mid/treble line EQ's are really too powerful. Even a small tweak results in quite a change compared to other mixers.

4 - The cue bug. Really got on my nerves. Not only do 3 and 4 both light up, even with 2 unlit the cue from 2 was still coming through the headphones, and I had to press multiple buttons randomly to turn it off. Not usable at present.

5 - Position of the cue/play/pause buttons. Confused the hell out of me. As mentioned before, the buttons are in the wrong order compared to every controller I've ever used. I could remap the buttons but they would still be marked incorrectly. Buttons could also do with being a bit bigger.

6 - LED brightness. Even with the power adapter the LED's aren't bright enough in my opinion. If you are in a bright room or bar they are so dim it's difficult to see what is lit.

7 - General usability. For mixing it was good. Jog wheels are responsive for pitch bend and my mixing overall was very good. Buttons are tactile and the faders are nice and tight.

8 - General sound quality. Good early on, but as the club got busy and I ramped up the output it started to sound a bit muddy, especially on the bass. A couple of times when mixing two dance tracks together I got distortion where it wouldn't have happened going through the Pioneer or A&H mixer. I had the master at 60 & and the line gains about 50 to 60% and it wasn't as clean as it should have been.

9 - Headphone output. Satisfactory but really affected by the line level and EQ.

10 - VU meters. Having only one set of meters is a disadvantage. As roy says, it shows the cue rather than the output when mixing.

Summary: Probably good for pub or mobile DJ's, but in a pro club environment it falls short. The mic quality is very poor which is a real let down. Based on the fact it's an AA product (and not Denon/Pioneer etc.) it's probably OK for the money, but is in no way a professional product for club use, especially if the DJ has to use the mic a lot.

Comments from other users very welcome.

I'm going to phone the supplier tomorrow to see about a return as the mic quality means it's no use for me which is a real shame.

Keith

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 3:22 pm
9%