Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi guys got mine up and running I tested it on my desktop first then on my gig laptop,
first I install the LE version then I ran My pro version the lastest one
A few problems :

1. Channel cue button cllick 3 and 4 light up at the same time .

2. Jog wheels are not to bad but if i take the rubber off you only have to tip off them and a track pauses I would like to have thesearch froward but not the touch part work can this be change in the mapping? the rubber on the makes them harder to move as they catch a little .

3. MY WORST PROBLEM On both desktop and laptop when i turn the gains /mid /treble/bass and the channel faders and the crossfader the dont move on screen but the sample /pitch/effects/loops/hotcues/play/pause/cue/wheel /pichbend are all ok

4 . The crossfader does not work as in no sound left or right ( maybe need to be mapped to the software).
5. Mouse is very slow to move on screen not like a mousepad angain there may be a way of mapping to spped up of something?

6.If these problems were sorted I guess I would be very happy any help would be and I would be really pleased.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 3:11 pm
Re. no.3, read the manual. You can change the EQ mode in the controller settings to affect the software. It's switched off by default

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 3:27 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@thewicked ...

#3 - they are not mapped by default because everything is at the Hardware level not software level -- kradcliffe's post above

#4 - If you are not getting sound out when you move the crossfader then you need to make sure your channel select knobs on the front panel are correct. And no you do not need to map the crossfader (for everyone, you never want to map the crossfader to the software audio crossfader - will explain more in a later post)

#5 - mouse movements have nothing to do with VirtualDJ mappings

@Keith ... will post answers to your question in a little bit ... haven't forgot :)

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 3:37 pm
@kradcliffe
I followed the manual as to change eq setting changes and turned off power and held down LED 4 and it installed drivers on my laptop and it looks like it changed eq settings alright but still not workin the sliders the master the treble/mid/bass still not moving ..but are working (as in the correct effect ) on the vms4 .

@cstoll
I got the crossfade working is all ok i messed around with the vms4 front panel control seem to work im tryin out some video i have another problem ;( its loading all the wrong videos or another day i guess ?
i also got the crossfader working on screen as in moving across ;) just all the others now ;(

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 4:34 pm
This cue issue is affecting me in ways I didn't realise. I turned my gear on earlier as if I were setting up for real:

Connect everything, turn on HDD, turn on VMS4, turn on laptop, login, start VDJ!

I loaded a couple of tracks and hit play - Nothing! Same as last night. Not even through the headphones.

Hit the cue buttons a few times and then the audio sprang to life, however the headphones didn't work correctly. Went set to "cue" I was getting "mix", when set to "mix" nothing. Pressed the cue buttons a few more times and eventually everything sorted itself out.

Now I could cue - well sort of, every time I loaded a track on to deck 2 I had to go through the process of turning cue 3 and 4 off and then 3 back on again before I could here the deck in the phones.

Then decided to hook the unit up to a pair of 300W active speakers to give it a test. In all honestly the output was dull compared to my AA QS-D mixer I had set up with my RMX which was quite rich even with the EQ's all zero'd.

I also got distortion on a few tracks that didn't even peak at 0 so I'm completely baffled.

I've been asked to DJ back at my old club tomorrow night, but it looks like I'll be taking the RMX!

And finally AA have "approved" my forum membership so I plan to put a link over to this thread rather than duplicate the posts.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:02 pm
Just so you know ... the cueing issue you describe has nothing to do with VirtualDJ. Cueing is all done as if you were using an external mixer. None of those buttons act or change anything in VirtualDJ.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:17 pm
Not good to hear. . do you think I should gig with the HC4500 tomrrow or test the new one. It' s really busy club and I don't want anything to screw up!

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:19 pm
I cant risk the vms4 for my weekend gig until im happy with all the bugs and problems most worried about the fact that nobody else has a problem with no moving volume gain and eq sliders on the screen they work on the vms4 but not seening the movement on screen on a 32 bit windows vista desktop and 64 bit windows 7 laptop ???

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:34 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
You've answered your own question.

Lets not hurry this guys.
We're all getting our feet wet a little at a time on this.
I myself decided to wait to feel my zone before going live, it goes without saying.

We want all of the input you can offer and please make sure the info is valid and not a post in haste before double checking.

There is a whole lot to digest with this one, but over all its a good unit imo.

We've not had one reported freeze or crash, so that is great news.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:37 pm
thewicked wrote :
I cant risk the vms4 for my weekend gig until im happy with all the bugs and problems most worried about the fact that nobody else has a problem with no moving volume gain and eq sliders on the screen they work on the vms4 but not seening the movement on screen on a 32 bit windows vista desktop and 64 bit windows 7 laptop ???

Did you not read my post right after your last one ????

You will never see the eq or faders on the screen move. The EQ and faders on the unit are all hardware level controls. VirtualDJ does not have midi commands that move visual elements. If a visual element moves then it is going to act upon the software with some change. If we were to map the volume fader on the unit to the volume fader in VirtualDJ - then you will get a doubling of the volume's change when you move the hardware fader. Same for the EQs and Gains.

If you want to see the visuals move you need to turn off the hardware level gains,eq, and volume controls - then map the faders and knobs to control VirtualDJ's controls.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 5:40 pm
sorry missed that post was up to my eyes tryin out all kinda stuff to get this working ;)
I hear what you say and that make me feel a little better that everyone has the same thing as in those faders dont move with VMS4 But they worked on whatever way i have my RMX unit setup when i turned the gain knob the screen would do the same and the faders maybe i have it setup all wrong all the time ?

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:14 pm
I'm back in my old club tomorrow and here's the cunning plan I've come up with...

Take the VMS4 and try it out early - I am worried about the distortion/overall sound quality and really want to test it in this environment to make sure it's not just me.

Will also take the RMX and run that through one of the unused analogue channels and will run one of the clubs CDJ's on the other. If things go bad, quick CD in the CDJ, unplug the VMS4, plug in the RMX and switch...

Gonna dry run the changeover tomorrow just to make sure there are no surprises if I do ;-)

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:20 pm
thewicked wrote :
But they worked on whatever way i have my RMX unit setup when i turned the gain knob the screen would do the same and the faders maybe i have it setup all wrong all the time ?

You're missing the point. The VMS4 is not just a MIDI controller - it's a full blown mixer as well - in fact its the best of both combined.

It's the same as running the RMX in external mixer mode and using the EQ's on that external mixer, but in the case of the VMS4 the external mixer and the RMX have been combined in to one.

What you are seeing is expected behaviour so don't worry.

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:23 pm
thewicked wrote :
sorry missed that post was up to my eyes tryin out all kinda stuff to get this working ;)
I hear what you say and that make me feel a little better that everyone has the same thing as in those faders dont move with VMS4 But they worked on whatever way i have my RMX unit setup when i turned the gain knob the screen would do the same and the faders maybe i have it setup all wrong all the time ?

That is because the RMX doesn't use a built in EQ,Gain,Volume when connected to the software.

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:24 pm
AH Now I get it about time you all say ha!
a whole new ball game .
I will never get that 3 hours of my life back ;)
Ok heres one for you I have a fear of hitting off the jog wheel and making it pause as that it what it seems to do when you touch the top Im ok with the outside of the wheel that spins back and i guess i really need that part to cue the start of tracks is there a way to take off the touching the top pause bit on the wheel ;)
I hope im getting it across ok ..LOL
and by the way thanks to all you guys for the help so far .

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:34 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Ya
click the vinyl button on each deck

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:38 pm
@mp3jrickgreat i will try that ;)
and heres a couple of stupid questions I guess
are the rubber jog wheel things(covers) just for packing or something else ?
and also as the eq and gain volume controls etc dont run from the software and for the hardware does anyone think there would be a little lets strain on the laptop power .

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:43 pm
From what I've worked out for myself, the jog wheels must use some kind of conductive system to detect you pressing the jogwheels. The rubber allows you to pitch bend in vinyl mode without causing the track to pause.

So top of jogwheel (platter) is for scratching - the outside edge (with rubber cover) is for pitch bending.

Of course none of this has any effect unless the vinyl mode/button is highlighted.

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 6:46 pm
Genius!!!!! Just goes to show you how powerful this software really is...

Thinking ahead to tomorrow night I just set up as follows:

RMX in to midilog 1 set to analogue and connected to lappy
VMS4 as before in 4 OUT mode so using midilog 2 & 3 in USB and connected to lappy

Yes both the RMX and VMS4 connected together

Sound Setup: None, External Mixer, ASIO

Cued and played a track on the VMS4. Mid track I changed the setup to None, Headphones, RMX and applied. Very slight break in sound but the output switched from midilog 2 to midilog 1.

Only other thing I had to do was switch the mapper from VMS4 back to RMX.

Reversed the process and went back to the VMS4 an then back to the RMX...

No need to restart software or use an external player. This will be my setup for tomorow night.

Happy days ;-)

Roy

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 7:05 pm
copy that roy ;)
can't wait to take this bad boy on the road .

Posted Fri 06 Aug 10 @ 7:19 pm
6%