Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ Software Comparison - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

kilerbHome userMember since 2005
Hello, it sounds like a lot of you really love this software. I've been debating between a few programs, and wanted to know your opinion for my application. I mostly do weddings and parties... I was at a wedding the other day and the DJ had a laptop with DJ Power on it. This program seemed really simple to use and seemed to work great. I didn't even realize there were so many software titles out that did this sort of thing... Anyway, I don't scratch, I pretty much just want the best, most stable and reliable software to DJ weddings and parties with... Easy fades, maybe some sound effects, and pitch control. Between Virtual DJ, PCDJ, DJ Power, or anything else you guys have used, what would work best for me in your opinions? Thanks a lot in advance!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 6:24 pm
get the demos of these apps and see for yourself.. it is IMO mostly personal preference.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 6:51 pm
Yeah, I hear ya, but is one more reliable than another? More stable? I can play with all the demos for a few hours, but i'd still love to hear from anyone that has used 1 or more of these titles and actually has hands on experience because that's where it counts. They'd be able to explain the pros and cons to using the different software titles in the actual situation I will be in. Thanks again! Any advice is appreciated!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 6:56 pm
i decided to stick to vdj, tryed traktor, fruity loops, bpm studio and mixmeister.
For this prize I could not get anything better. I do weddings too. The only thing I am using except of VDJ is winamp which is freely available. It plays the background music in the pauses.

I recommend you to wait for the behringer console and reviews.... it could be fantastic for use together with vdj. No other external mixer required, just an notebook, behringer, wireless microphone and headphones. (not counting speakers, amplifier, lights many wedding rooms have this) so just pack one bag and you go :-)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 7:16 pm
Thanks Lopez... I know this is going to be a stupid question, but why do you need an external mixer now? I thought that you could just hook your laptop up to the powered speakers and be good to go... I didn't see any other equipment being used with the guy using DJPower... It could have been hidden of course. When is the Behringer console being released, and is there a link to check it out?
Thanks!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 7:38 pm

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 7:54 pm
Cool, I bookmarked that page. Thanks a lot. So you can't use the software without some sort of mixer to hook up your mic/headphones/computer to correct? It won't just let you hook these things up to your soundcard? I wonder if that guy had a mixer under his console, I wasn't looking very closely...

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:06 pm
kilerb:

with console you gain better control, but it is not that necessary as it has 2 stereo outputs one master one to prelisten what you wanna mix. and the main good thing MICROPHONE connector with bass and high adjustment.

Are you using microphone on weddings ?

Don't know your local wedding rituals, but here in slovakia we have one "older men" that moderates (after the church or cityhall part) the whole party. Midnight dance, turning bride into wife .... etc...

And usually he needs a microphone and sometimes I speak to the people but not too often.

without console it is more compicated to connect the microphone but still possible ...

Sometimes I encouter a problem that signal from the pc is weak to power the amplifier
and usually built in notebook soundcards (pc soundcards) have some noise in the background and don't have such a good parameters.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:29 pm
Yes I'll definitely be using a microphone. Basically it's a big party and it requires lots of announcements and interactions with the crowd. I'll be getting a long range wireless microphone for this. So I should probably get something and not go directly through the computer? Like the mixer mentioned above...

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:54 pm
you don't need to go out and buy a really expensive mixer but I'm sure you could get a 100$ mixer that will do the job for you well enough.

If all you want to do is pre-listen to a track, chat it up on the mic you can get an external mixer and get an easier mix and more control with the sound.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:58 pm
if you have the microphone and you can adjust bass and high characteristics on its receiver it is ok and probably you don't need a mixer. Within vdj, you can just control the volume of it.
I recommend you to test it. Maybe you don't need any bass corrections to your voice.

Just connect the output of vdj to the speakers (amplifier of course) and plug your microphone into the pc's line or microphone input (depends on the type) then in windows mixer you can try to change the settings and hear for yourself if your voice sounds good while the music is playing and while not.

In real situation you can control the volume of microphone within the VDJ. (using skins or shortcuts that will turn on the microphone and at the same time lower the music volume, when pressed the second time it will mute the microphone and make music sound at full vol again)

Hope this helps you,

Just for the case, the problem is when you need more microphones :-) you don't have enough plugs.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:02 pm
Sounds like a mixer is the way to go... I'm not going to have an amplifier. The speakers I'm going to use are amplified. JBL EON's... They sounded really good at the wedding I was at last night.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:12 pm
Just connect the speakers to the mixer and your laptop to the mixer and you're all set! everthing at the reach of your fingers.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:13 pm
That's really cool... Can't wait. Has anyone here ever tried DJPower by the way?

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:35 pm
just downloaded the demo, will post opinion

but their price policy... i don't like the feeling that after a year I have to pay.
Pay for the new features ok, but no fixes .... ;-)

VDJ has all fixes and new features for free since beginning ....

plugins freely donwloadable for full VDJ users (no 80 bucks for eq here)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:47 pm
Cool, thanks a lot... Plus they don't sell just the software, you have to buy one of their computers to get the full version. Definitely let me know what you think. It seemed really cool at the wedding i was at.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 9:57 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Search the forums, you'll find many happy (ex pcdj etc.) users.
I use dj software from 1997 and Virtual dj is my favorite.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 3:14 am
Came Over from PCDJ which I got with my DMC-1 (Blue) upgraded to Red Both programs stuggled to play CDs
the Current version VRM does not support CDs at all!
PCDJ has a mostly American / English following with no multi-lingual support, i found the record case file system complicated, and althought capable of good results a mechanical/technical feel to it.
VDJ was like a breath of fresh air, being a fun program with a simple but effective file system that is a pleasure to use, and ohh yeah heaps of skins effects samples and reguliar updates.....ALL FREE.....Almost forgot the program is less than 1/2 the cost, and better features than any serious compition.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 1:11 pm
Hey I just visited the Behringer website mentioned earlier in this post.
The console seems to be really cool. Is there chance of it being used with VDJ just like how XP10 can be used? which is better if im buying one...XP10 or BCD2000 (Behringer)???

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 7:40 pm
What are the differences between the XP10 and the Behringer? The Behringer seems like a great deal. How much do XP10's typically go for.

By the way... Thanks for all your input. It seems that everyone really like Virtual DJ compared to the competition... No one with experience with DJPower has really said anything. Maybe they stick with the program and don't visit this board.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 1:38 am
77%